Thread: Hot Swap Batteries on Epic-X

Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. #1 Hot Swap Batteries on Epic Dragon 
    Hello,

is it possible to hot swap Red bricks (on a battery plate connected to the DC in port of the Epic-X) when a Redvolt battery sits in the side handle ?

(the manual states that a Redvolt in the side handle enables hot swapping, but I do not know what the requirements are)

If it is possible, in what order are the batteries consumed in the above example of having a Red brick on a battery plate and a Redvolt in the side handle ?

Is the Red brick being drained first and then the Redvolt ? if that is the case, then I assume the Redvolt would allow to hot swap Red bricks...

Can anybody confirm this ?

Thx

Allen
    Last edited by Allen Deckard; 04-08-2020 at 03:25 AM.

Yes the camera is good to keep powering on the redvolts when the DC ports loose power.

VFX, Cinematographer, Photographer
    10 frame handles
    Vimeo
    Instagram

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Gundu View Post
    Yes the camera is good to keep powering on the redvolts when the DC ports loose power.
    will the cam always prioritize power coming through the DC port and only if none available then switch to the Redvolt ?

Thx

Allen

Quote Originally Posted by Allen Deckard View Post
    will the cam always prioritize power coming through the DC port and only if none available then switch to the Redvolt ?

Thx

Allen
    Correct.

10 frame handles
    Vimeo
    Instagram

Correct.
    great, thank you !

is there any way to manually switch the power input that the camera draws from ?

I have a brick on the camera and a Redvolt in the side handle. I can see in the Settings > Power menu that it prioritizes the brick.

So wihout powering down, I assume I can only switch the brick on the cam when it has completely drained and the cam auto-switches to the Redvolt or is there an option to manually switch to the Redvolt ?

there may be situations where we don't want to power down the camera but would want to switch the brick on the camera before it has completely drained.

Thx
    Allen

Quote Originally Posted by Allen Deckard View Post
    is there any way to manually switch the power input that the camera draws from ?

I have a brick on the camera and a Redvolt in the side handle. I can see in the Settings > Power menu that it prioritizes the brick.

So wihout powering down, I assume I can only switch the brick on the cam when it has completely drained and the cam auto-switches to the Redvolt or is there an option to manually switch to the Redvolt ?

there may be situations where we don't want to power down the camera but would want to switch the brick on the camera before it has completely drained.

Thx
    Allen
    You can switch the v-mount battery whenever including before its depleted.

10 frame handles
    Vimeo
    Instagram

You can switch the v-mount battery whenever including before its depleted.
    I tried that yesterday and the cam just turned off (had a brick and a redvolt on the cam). When booting the camera back up it said the camera was improperly shut down.

We're using a v-mount plate that is connected to the DC-in of the camera, not sure if this makes a difference.

are there any specific instructions on how to remove the brick and the Redvolt taking over without shutting down the cam ?

Something is up with your camera then. It should just work.

10 frame handles
    Vimeo
    Instagram