Thread: Who's still rocking a Mac 5,1?

Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Still have 4 of the classic cheese graters, but only fire up 2 on a regular basis. The lead rig has a 980Ti and a RR-X which makes it fine for most workflows. Salivating over the 7,1 2019 MP but no way I'm pulling the trigger until the industry gets back on it's feet. It really is amazing how long the old towers have stayed viable for RED workflows.

Cheers - #19

Still loving my 4,1 --> 5,1 12c 2.6. Running an Areca 1882 x 24 SAS card, 4 x USB 3.0, BMD Decklink and a 980 TI. It does well for me and grades 4K in real time @ 1/2 debayer in Resolve. Which is fine as I'm on a Flanders HD monitor for grading. Has anyone found that a higher end GPU adds much? I remember reading that the 980 TI was about has much as the system could utilize. I too had to cut a hole in the chassis for a power drop like the above post.
    www.hal-long.com
    hal_long [at] icloud

Epic-M Dragon

Quote Originally Posted by Hal Long View Post
    I remember reading that the 980 TI was about has much as the system could utilize.
    That just means that whatever they were doing was CPU limited. Take software like Resolve and you can make two Radeon VII sweat in a 5.1, depending on task.

Mine has been in storage for a couple of years. Just pulled it out over the weekend to set up a home schooling machine for one of my kids during lockdown and it seems to have died - flashed a grey screen a couple of times, and now nothing at all when I press the power button. Very sad. That machine served me well.

I still have and use my Mac Pro 1.1! I kept it on Snow Leopard and still have it for Final Cut Studio, Logic, and Pro Tools 9 use but I mostly stay on the Windows 7 bootcamp partition where it makes a (still) screaming fast Windows PC. Other than that, I've been experimenting with the Hackintosh scene. :)

I'm still running a 5,1. It's sitting next to the new 7,1. The old cheese grater holds up surprisingly well.

At work we have a few 2006 (W7 BootCamp), a 2012 (old Avid/Pro Tools) doing some kind of work.
    At home, I have a 2012 that houses my Rocket cards (CUBIX) as well as older SAS cards.
    Ill be honest, I use them sparingly when I run into clients with older projects.
    My 2013 D700 at home is kicking but for film work and putting a 2019 through the paces at work :)
    < Someday I'll be cool enough to have something witty here >