Thread: The Xfinity Comcast Scam

Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. #1 The Xfinity Comcast Scam 
    So as we all know, Xfinity Comcast has been doing some shady stuff over the years when it comes to taxes/fees, etc. Although I have a pretty big axe to grind with that and have expressed my frustration with their not so subtle scamming of their customer's money, this is not the time or place for that. Rather, I need to address an issue that is relevant now that many of us are working from home - upload speeds. It's a sore subject for Comcast. I should know, I've talked to many of their sales people about it and they just kind of shrug their shoulders and say "I know, seems like it should be better". In fact, I'd say they are so ashamed of it, that they have now made it really hard to find the info for upload speeds on their website. When I look at plans for upgrading, I can only find a download speed, no mention of upload. Used to be able to see both, but the numbers were always so extremely different that they probably said, let's just pull the upload speeds.You have to go find the info elsewhere now. So, again the time for complaining about things is not right, so I'll simply ask a few questions to gauge what kind of service people have and how much they are paying.

1. Which internet provider are you using?

2. What upload speeds are you getting?

3. How much do you pay a month?

4. Are your bills consistent or do they change (random fees, taxes, etc)?

5. Are you using online tools for your video business such as Frame io, Dropbox, Google Drive, Vimeo, etc?

6. Are your speeds consistent? Do you see big drops depending on time of day, usage in the area?

7. What would you consider a bare minimum for upload speeds? I assume everyone has decent download speeds, although I think we're still a bit behind other countries with that as well.

Thanks for providing any info you can. I need to see what options are out there as I'm currently moving a lot of content to cloud for clients and my home speed is about a third less than my office and I'm working from home.
    Steve Sherrick

1. Verizon Fios

2. 100 Mbs up and down

3. We pay 200 a month but have 5 tvs (not my idea) and each of them (In 2020, the silliest thing ever....) have to have a box.

4. Bills are consistent

5. I use all of those services.

6. Speeds are not as consistent as they should be on fiber, but are generally dependable.

7. I think a bare minimum would be 100 Mbs up, but I know many that get by on less.
    Forged CF Helium 8K 00107
    Scarlet X 02249 (The Gateway Drug)
    Fujinon Cabrio 19-90 Version 2
    RED Pro Zooms and Primes
    Director/DP at https://www.butcherbox.com

Living life by the ocean.

1. Xfinity Comcast

2. 6Mbps (home), 18Mbps (work)

3. $80/month (internet only)

4. No matter what we lock in at, it always creeps up. This round started at $76 and is up around $80 now.May not seem like a big deal but across tens of thousands of accounts I’m sure it adds up. Even if you lock into to some great deal $99 triple play, the fine print tells you they can still raise taxes and fees at any time, so you are never really locked in or in control.

5. I use all kinds of services to upload to but Frame io has become the heaviest in my workflow

6. Speeds are fairly consistent but when you are already dealing with a slow upload speed, even 1 or 2 Mb/s difference is huge.

7. I think 25Mbps should be bare minimum, with 50 up as bare minimum for video people moving big files and 100 up as the starting point for anyone transferring 100s of GB a day. On a recent dailies job we were pushing DNx115 files at about 175Mbps and that was very reasonable.
    Steve Sherrick

Unfortunately it's the fact of life during Covid-19.

https://www.techtimes.com/articles/2...connection.htm

I too had been hit with super slow uploads, especially now. Everyone talks about adapting to this work from home environment, but what do you do, when your finished work takes 5-6 hours of uploading time instead of usual 30-45 minutes?
    Jake Blackstone
    Colorist
    Los Angeles
    MOD Color Web Site
    Demo Reel

Quote Originally Posted by jake blackstone View Post
    Unfortunately it's the fact of life during Covid-19.

https://www.techtimes.com/articles/2...connection.htm

I too had been hit with super slow uploads, especially now. Everyone talks about adapting to this work from home environment, but what do you do, when your finished work takes 5-6 hours of uploading time instead of usual 30-45 minutes?
    I totally get that there will be a slowdown due to traffic increase. I guess my disappointment is with how Comcast goes about its business. They know that Fios advertises 100 down/100 up so rather than competing with that, they simply removed their upload speeds from their website. Ignorance is bliss. :-)

But, it is what it is, and honestly with people dealing with far worse situations than slow upload speeds, I'm not going to get too bent out of shape over it. I was just curious what others were experiencing and perhaps there was a clear reason to just drop Comcast and go with Fios which we recently got in our area.
    Steve Sherrick

I was just on a chat with Fios, and they were offering an upgrade from 100 up and down to essentially 900 up and down for a 50 dollar a month increase. Very difficult to get a straight answer on anything though.
    RED Pro Zooms and Primes

Quote Originally Posted by Scot Yount View Post
    I was just on a chat with Fios, and they were offering an upgrade from 100 up and down to essentially 900 up and down for a 50 dollar a month increase. Very difficult to get a straight answer on anything though.
    Wow, that seems pretty good. Can you do internet only or have to do TV as well? We don't do cable TV. Just need internet.
    Steve Sherrick

I don’t know the answer to that in terms of price but I know you can just get Internet. I think (I could well be wrong) situations where it is cheaper to have cable and internet as opposed to just internet. The good thing about Fios is it not a shared bandwidth deal. You usually get what you are paying for in terms of speed. How fast the servers on the other end are running is another story.
    RED Pro Zooms and Primes

Steve, just checked and I'm getting 355Mbps download and 24Mbps upload. We have Xfinity and it's $107 a month.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Phelan View Post
    Steve, just checked and I'm getting 355Mbps download and 24Mbps upload. We have Xfinity and it's $107 a month.
    That’s not terrible and workable. I’d take that right now.

Hope you and family are doing well!
    Steve Sherrick