Thread: Remote grading in COVID-19 environmnet.

Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. #1 Remote grading in COVID-19 environmnet. 
    So, because of COVID-19, I'm on paid leave from a company I work for.
    I hunkered down for prolonged downtime, but all of a sudden, in a last few days I started receiving quite a few inquiries about doing some last minute color work. I think the reason for that is the majority of post houses had closed down, so people are looking for someone to do the finish. Some even looking specifically for someone with their own Baselight:) Fair enough, I mostly do short form work- commercials, trailers and promos and these days seeing a client in person becoming increasingly rare sight anyway. So, I just been asked to help finish a feature project, that was started at one of the bigger facilities, that had closed it's doors because of quarantine. As you already probably guessed it, my dilemma with working on this feature is simple- I can't allow to have a client in my office, everything must be done remotely. So, how can I grade the film with the client not being next to me? And then it downed on me- remote grading. Many years ago I was doing a lot of remote grading using Resolve, all over the world. But then the hassle became too much with trying to get the material, dealing with people and getting paid half way around the world and most importantly, the awful working hours. Clients want to work during the day, but that usually means night work for me. So, in this case, I figured, because client is not allowed in my office and trying to do the notes using emails and phone calls, instead I can just set up a simple Resolve remote session with the client for a quick looks and final notes sessions. Many established post houses can do this with special hardware on both ends and this also requires a fast connection (fiber). But for small operation, like mine this is really not feasible. Nowadays everyone has Resolve Studio, a computer and a monitor. So, we're all set. And if client doesn't have the computer and a monitor, I can provide it too. Being in the same town, getting the material on both Resolves can be easily done as well. So, it's weird after all these years to start doing remote grading again using Resolve .
    COVID-19 is not going to win
    Jake Blackstone
    Colorist
    Los Angeles
    MOD Color Web Site
    Demo Reel

Jake,

Glad an opportunity like this presented itself to you in these troubling times. Do you worry that there will be tools that you used on a regular basis in baselight that you might not find a corresponding equivalent for in Resolve and do you think you will miss them?

Inspiring. I'd love to hear more stories like these.
    Frankly any stories about people working. Is there a thread for that already?
    S-W #6350 "Moonshot"

Quote Originally Posted by rand thompson View Post
    Jake,

Glad an opportunity like this presented itself to you in these troubling times. Do you worry that there will be tools that you used on a regular basis in baselight that you might not find a corresponding equivalent for in Resolve and do you think you will miss them?
    Rand.
    I'm equally qualified and had worked over the years using Baselight, Resolve, Nucoda and Lustre. And may be just a touch of Scratch.
    So, no, I'm not worried at all:)
    Depending on platform I'm using, I actually work differently. Every platform has certain strengths, so it is imperative to utilize software used to it's full potential...
    Jake Blackstone
    Colorist
    Los Angeles
    MOD Color Web Site
    Demo Reel

Alright then Jake, And good luck with the Feature Film!

Jake, that is great news!

I've attempted to get it working, even working closely with BMD support and could never get it to work. Must have been something on the client's end with IT. I followed BMD suggestions, and even tried some network things I saw in some demonstrations online. Never could make the connection work. Same versions of Resolve down to the dot rev.

It has so much potential, especially when clients have displays from same manufacturer, in my case Flanders. So would love to get it to work. If you're up for it, maybe we can give it a try sometime. That would be very appealing for a project that needs to get sent out of house for color.
    Steve Sherrick

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Sherrick View Post
    Jake, that is great news!

I've attempted to get it working, even working closely with BMD support and could never get it to work. Must have been something on the client's end with IT. I followed BMD suggestions, and even tried some network things I saw in some demonstrations online. Never could make the connection work. Same versions of Resolve down to the dot rev.

It has so much potential, especially when clients have displays from same manufacturer, in my case Flanders. So would love to get it to work. If you're up for it, maybe we can give it a try sometime. That would be very appealing for a project that needs to get sent out of house for color.
    Hi Steve.
    It works and as I mentioned, I had been using it at least once a week for few years back in 2008-2010 or so. The trick is you must open the port (15000) used by Resolve on your router. That is how slave Resolve connects with the master Resolve. If it's not open, then slave Resolve will not be able to connect to the master Resolve. The Resolve version must be the same, project resolution on both computers must match, it doesn't matter which OS both resolves running on and finally, both Resolves must have the same number of frames, in the timeline. The codec doesn't matter. In other words, for example, you can have DPX material on your Mac slave Resolve (client's machine) and your master Resolve can be on Windows or Linux running Prores files.
    Jake Blackstone
    Colorist
    Los Angeles
    MOD Color Web Site
    Demo Reel

Yes yes nice Jack, I seem to remember some of your discussions already years ago here on Reduser.

I will tell you that it also works well for the editing part as I am leaving Premiere.

Freenas server (samba share) + 1 pc with davinci database with Softether (vpn) and Adobe media encoder to transcode the files in h265.
    With this configuration all my editors have access to the same projects and files directly at home for editing on Davinci resolve :)
    It works well since in the end my colorist takes the original files home and relinks everything without problems with the usual XML.

I believe this virus will change many things soon.
    Grading Suite Davinci Resolve, Rental RED Digital camera.
    MONSTRO 8k CF #831 "BLACK PEARL" , EPIC-W GEMINI # "DAFNE".
    ARRI ALEXA EV , ALEXA MINI LF "ROZI"

SITE
    www.cine5k.ch

Luigi,

I'm interested in what made you finally leave Premiere? Was it anything in particular or was it a series of things?

Quote Originally Posted by rand thompson View Post
    Luigi,

I'm interested in what made you finally leave Premiere? Was it anything in particular or was it a series of things?
    ciao Rand,
    but look �� , Davinci is more performing, better with the resources of the pc or mac GPU and CPU . I like the new editing console and we are getting on well.
    But the main reason is not to take too long with the usual XML that come from the Premiere stations.
    I have 3 editing rooms and 2 color rooms, when a fitter has to edit fast projects he has little time at the end of the day to fix the timeline with strange transitions effects, retimes etc. etc. etc. for a good xML to be imported for a grading in davinci. But now Davinci is all going much smoother.
    I am very confident that BLackamgic will improve the editing part more and more.
    Grading Suite Davinci Resolve, Rental RED Digital camera.
    MONSTRO 8k CF #831 "BLACK PEARL" , EPIC-W GEMINI # "DAFNE".
    ARRI ALEXA EV , ALEXA MINI LF "ROZI"

SITE
    www.cine5k.ch