Thread: What is the RED film community doing while on lock down?

Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Senior Member Christoffer Glans's Avatar
    If you are a writer-director using Red, then I suggest fine-tuning those screenplays that never had any time being fine-tuned. If not that, then increase education in areas of filmmaking that you felt you were lacking.

All in all, outside of the economical problems, use the time to educate yourself into areas you didn't have time for earlier, it's a perfect time to expand your toolset and knowledge. Wasting this opportunity will only lead to regret when people realize they kept indoors playing with their cats or watching Facebook feeds for three months straight.
    "Using any digital cinema camera today is like sending your 35mm rolls to a standard lab. -Using a Red is like owning a dark room."
    Red Weapon 6K #00600

I'm reading more than I have in years.

Quote Originally Posted by Christoffer Glans View Post
    If you are a writer-director using Red, then I suggest fine-tuning those screenplays that never had any time being fine-tuned. If not that, then increase education in areas of filmmaking that you felt you were lacking.

All in all, outside of the economical problems, use the time to educate yourself into areas you didn't have time for earlier, it's a perfect time to expand your toolset and knowledge. Wasting this opportunity will only lead to regret when people realize they kept indoors playing with their cats or watching Facebook feeds for three months straight.
    .... or reading REDuser!

Catching up on backlogged projects - I have 2 production books to prepare for submission to our local Film Office to collect funds from our state's tax rebate program. One is done, one is still in progress. Then I have to critique the pre-dub for one of the films before the final mixdown. Then an editing project that I promised to do for a friend.

Once that's done, I'll be catching up on geeky experiments I've been wanting, for quite a long time, to do with my camera. I'll be trying to fix a few bits of gear that are broken. And I'll be finishing a couple of screenplays which I've already started.

I'd also like to spend some time learning the FUSION part of Da Vinci Resolve so will be watching tutorials and screwing up footage until I have at least a rudimentary knowledge of how to use it.

I don't get the whole "downtime" thing. My whole attraction to filmmaking in the first place was that it is a vast and constantly expanding universe, full of constant challenges. There's always too much to learn and do and not enough time....I'm looking forward to finish the work, so that I can play a bit.

I've been delving into HDR video using my spiffy new FSI XM-310K monitor. A recent firmware update had really enhanced the performance of Peak playback mode.

I'm also trying to recalibrate how I do things in Davinci Resolve to get better HDR results. It's both easier and more difficult than I expected.

One thing I am NOT doing is upgrading my version of OSX. Last month I resurrected my Red Rocket-X card using an OSX kernel extension posted here on RedUser. Amazing! But I understand that Apple will be closing those doors more and more and I don't want to lose that functionality before there's a better GPU solution that works in my world. The long wait for a high-end Resolve solution on OSX continues to be a long wait. God bless those who made the switch to FCPX and are enjoying all the enhancements that Apple and RED have developed inside that walled garden.
    Michael Tiemann, Chapel Hill NC

"Dream so big you can share!"

Quote Originally Posted by AndreasOberg View Post
    - We got tons of new equipment. Got 2 Heliums now. Got a surround Schoeps Dual Mid Side Array and a new 833 recorder, a Telinga dish, More Movi Pro equipment like a controller, new GPU etc. Even though we cannot use them much we plan on learning them. The gimbal is pretty darn tricky to get good shots from so I guess we can practice in the kitchen! We also have a list of things we want to improve from last trip with our drones, gimbal etc so that will keep us busy.
    Ohhhh... you've got a Sound Devices 833 too!
    Yeah, now we're in lockdown I've got the time to do the firmware update for my 833 and spend more time playing around and learning tips and tricks with it. Sound Devices has been sharing more content about their 8 Series, and how to use it, their videos are worth a watch.
    http://IronFilm.co.nz/Sound/ (Sound Recordist based in Auckland, NZ. Happy to travel too)
    https://www.youtube.com/c/SoundSpeeding

Some time ago the "big" URSA cam went to sleep over winter and did not wake again. It seems the sensor or its downstrem processing chain laid down. I managed to find another dead URSA with a different fault and there was an arranged marriage. Before I had anything serious to do with it, along came the Wuhan ill. So the camera has ended up being my overkill social media camera and I have played some rather poorly skilled accordion music for friends.

Last edited by Robert Hart; 04-09-2020 at 12:25 PM. Reason: error