Thread: Early thoughts - Production in a Corona-world - we want to help (and discuss)

Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. #1 Early thoughts - Production in a Corona-world - we want to help (and discuss) 
    Hi,

So I have been following the Covid-19 thing since it's start and watched its effect on the production-environments as it has moved around the globe.

Here in Norway, practically anything "non-news" has stopped.

But at the same time I have been thinking that this probably will foce some new production methods while it goes on.

People die to produce (pun intended) and more than ever, content is needed.

And I have started to observe that this actually happens. People shoot "things" in their flats, and people edit from somewhere else and they know a VFX guy doing something somewhere else.

Now we didn't have a Pandemic in mind when we started developing QuineCore 3 years ago, but what I can also see is that our tools can keep people working.
    That is rewarding.

So after thinking a little bit around this, we have come to a point where we want to offer a number of Corona-related productions around the globe the possibility to work with our system. Preferably productions that simply wouldn't have happened if it wasn't due to Corona.

We don't care what format it is, whether it is a documentary or a scripted or a reality-thing.

It feels right to support those who wants to find new ways to produce in a crazy situation, obviously without exposing people.

We have a few conditions, to offer this, but I think those should be not-too bad.

No more than 3 months shooting
    Production idea is a result of the new production environment ( but subject or genre can be "whatever")
    Edit in Premiere
    Use Adobe Team projects
    2 or more editors
    Great if there is a post/VFX part involved: Bring it on
    Use MovieSlate® if applicable (and it mostly is)
    Supported codecs (which is practically "most")
    We must be allowed to use the production as a usecase.
    We will not commit to any "special development" for these gifted productions, but will obviously support them

We look for a diverse portfolio of productions geographically spread around the world

If you have ideas both on what to produce in these days and how to produce them, please don't hesitate.

But really think that it is possible to continue to produce content in a time where 200 ppl sets aren't really the way to go.

Discuss here, PM me or mail me at gunleik@quine.no if you have ideas.

We will go public with the offering sometimes over the next week, but I would love to hear input from here.

An overview over what we can offer can be found here:
    http://www.quine.no

All the best

Gunleik

While we prepare our own material on producing in the days of Corona, we appreciate this little nod from our partner Adobe.

Adobe recommends Quine as a "must" in remote work!
    "Reliable media and file-sharing is a must. Share files and collaborate with cloud-based solutions from partners such as Quine."
    Last edited by Gunleik Groven; 03-19-2020 at 02:35 PM.

Hey Gunleik,
    This is very cool of you guys

I am in fact embarking in a Spec Film project for Netflix myself here in California http://www.reduser.net/forum/showthr...13#post1893413

And was thinking of using Frame.io for all media related work so not to have the need for more people in person.

Is this system similar to that where we can do all remotely, or how would you best explain the process?

Kudos to Gunleik for his generous offer. The self isolation mandated by the virus may physically divide us, but we must not stop sharing the load with our brothers and sisters around the world.

Traditional production styles can create fabulous work, but I welcome the creative challenge of alternative methods. In particular, the forced march pressure of a larger cast/crew that burns cash fast can be counter to greater creativity. A small crew/cast that can dig deeper into a critical scene until it works is a gift.

Cheers - #19

In the process of making videos explaining the parts, but in short, we manage all media and metadata management and distribution.

As opposed to frame, we don't require that you put all your raw files in the cloud. Sure we can, but to me it makes little sense to put data that is essentially "dumb" in the cloud, and rather limit EXR/RAW files to what is "needed" for VFX-pulls etc. Also in this time and day where bandwidth is a valuable commodity for so many, I would suggest a hybrid solution, though we support both.

As opposed to frame and say Sony Ci, we also have a full ingest/distribution tool (think of aspera+silverstack but with a lot of automation) and keep track of ALL assets everywhere, including whatever documents or sidecar files (like monitor calibrations and plugins or even manuscripts) you need to have your production working.

We have obviously had the "box" to distribute files directly from Camera for a while. Frame used it to demo that concept at NAB 2019.

But the "system" is what gives the value and collaboration tools.

the box is a lovely plug-in to that system when it is suitable.

This is not a system-overview, but a quick-look at the ingest-distribution client.

As far as I know, this is one of the things that sets us a bit aside.
    Outside price, of course.

But both what Sony and Frame do is great, we just try to take a little bit different approach.

It also has "smart" watch folders to automate and smartly treat and distribute/share assets.

But I am working hard on a lot of material these days after getting done with what was supposed to be the "NAB" release :)

The "for free" offer is a bit Coronaspecific to productions that adapt to the corona situation and would not otherwise have happened., but I'd love to talk with you about your project and see what we could set you up with to play.
    Last edited by Gunleik Groven; 03-19-2020 at 10:49 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Blair S. Paulsen View Post
    Kudos to Gunleik for his generous offer. The self isolation mandated by the virus may physically divide us, but we must not stop sharing the load with our brothers and sisters around the world.

Traditional production styles can create fabulous work, but I welcome the creative challenge of alternative methods. In particular, the forced march pressure of a larger cast/crew that burns cash fast can be counter to greater creativity. A small crew/cast that can dig deeper into a critical scene until it works is a gift.

Cheers - #19
    Thanks Blair

yup this is what tickles my brains:

What sart things can people do now?

I would love to see and contribute to enable this.

Sounds good Gunleik.

If by Corona Virus specific, means that the project must talk about the COVID-19, while my project was not, now it has been changed for various reasons so I think it is, but you will need to see about that.

"The film narrates the story of the surviving members of a Cheerleading Team, during the COVID19 outbreak which find refuge in a house only to die one by one."

I am doing this as a Spec Netflix Film, with no budget, to do something with a super small crew/cast below 10 to still be able to do something in this harsh conditions of isolation dictated by the virus.

But yeah, let's see, either way, great work with this workflow idea.

No need to talk about Corona, but specifically looking for productions that are produced in a very distributed model.

Right now I am onboarding a 9-person crew which produces daily TV where people shoot in 4 flats, editor sits in a 5th and director and producers are divided over the last 4 flats.

Normally they sit in a common workspace, but today they can not. But they will still deliver content.

This is far from the only scenario I am looking for, but it fits the criteria.

There have been quite a bit of scripted ideas contacting me over the last 24 hours.
    None of those are yet fixed.

I am also deliberately looking for productions from different parts of the world.

Anywhere close to an Azure cloud should be a good fit.

It works well also if you're not next to a center and Azure sort of covers a lot of the planet:

https://azure.microsoft.com/en-ca/gl...ure/locations/
    Last edited by Gunleik Groven; 03-20-2020 at 01:34 PM.

Very cool. Will have to look into this as post is becoming increasingly distributed.
    ------------
    DP/Colorist
    www.joelvoelker.com
    Seattle, WA

Sounds good Gunleik.