Thread: If you could only have 1 lens to pair with your Komodo, which would it be?

Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    While I'd expect to use anything and everything-- depends on the job--, I'm thinking that the unique proposition of the Komodo might be that I could throw it in my bag (gently!) with a compact, inexpensive, vintage prime for non-work travel. It could be the rangefinder of cine cameras, low profile, on hand just in case there's a moment you want to grab. So maybe my Nikon 28 f2.8?

Senior Member Jens Jakob Thorsen's Avatar
    If I could keep only one of my ca 100 lenses it would be the 28mm Otus on my Monstro. My Canon 50mm 0,95 Dreamlens would be hidden in a body cavity, though.
    Jens Jakob Thorsen DFF
    Director of photography
    Denmark
    www.jensjakob.com
    mail@jensjakob.com
    Monstro VV

If KOMODO is all about horsepower-to-weight (and size) ration, I'd pick a lens that further maximizes it's capabilities while minimizing size and weight. Likely Canon RF 15-30 (first choice) or 24-70 (second choice).
    Michael Tiemann, Chapel Hill NC

"Dream so big you can share!"

Quote Originally Posted by Tim Erickson View Post
    400mm for that bokeh (and effectively 600mm at S35 ��) Shot framing be damned
    Good choice. Probably the only lens that will get you a safe closeup.

Quote Originally Posted by David Rasberry View Post
    Minolta MD 28-70 f3.5-4.8 macro to start with. It’s already in the kit.
    A CN-E 18-80 rig would suit me well.
    I might have to search for that 28-70! I am in love with my minolta MD Rokkor 50 f1.4, one of my favourite lenses!

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Tiemann View Post
    If KOMODO is all about horsepower-to-weight (and size) ration, I'd pick a lens that further maximizes it's capabilities while minimizing size and weight. Likely Canon RF 15-30 (first choice) or 24-70 (second choice).
    The 15-35 is wonderful!

I really hope an RF 24mm f2.8 pancake lens comes soon because that would be killer, especially if GDU does a modification ;)

Shame there's no way to use a Nikon 105/1.4E. That, for portrait and fashion, would be my first choice for sure. Shame it's not a G-type lens, at least then we could use mechanical adapters and manually change the aperture. There are hacks to set the aperture by carrying around a Nikon body, but meh. I wish everyone would bring back aperture rings. Yes, I know there's a Sigma 105/1.4 in EF mount, but it's not the same (even though it's actually technically somewhat sharper).

As much as it pains me to say it, if I was being dropped into a war zone and could only have one lens on it, I'd have to go with a Canon 24-105, just for the sheer versatility/range and "macro" ability. But that may be the old sports/news guy in me that's used to having a zoom lens that can 'cover it all'. In a more traditional "we're doing this all for camera" situation, maybe a CN-E 50. I've played the shoot it all on a 50 game before and you can do a lot with it, because it's fast(T1.3) and has pretty close focus(roughly a foot from the front of the lens).

Im really exciting to use my Leica M lenses on Komodo, I really hope that the OLPF glass plays nicely with wider M glass. If I had to pick one lens though its the Leica 28mm 1.4 Summilux-M or maybe the 50mm 1.4 Summilux-M....its a tough choice lol

Senior Member Karim D. Ghantous's Avatar
    Based on what I would use it for I would use something like a 50-135mm zoom. I already use that kind of lens on a Sony NEX when I shoot stage rehearsals. I'd set the camera to 24fps and let it go, then export still frames later.
    Good production values may not be noticed. Bad production values will be.
    Pinterest
    | Flickr | Instagram | 1961 (blog)

I'd say if you have to go with one lens, a zoom is a great option.

But, I do think you'll want to treat yourself to one of Komodo's biggest super powers by equipping it with a small and compact lens as well. That really sets it apart from larger cameras and setups.
    Phil Holland - Cinematographer - Los Angeles

2X RED Monstro 8K VV Bodies and a lot of things to use with them.

Data Sheets and Notes:
    Red Weapon/DSMC2
    Red Dragon