Thread: LED High Power Bulb / Module for China ball / lantern

Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. #1 LED High Power Bulb / Module for China ball / lantern 
    Hi all,

With lots of new LED lights coming out with more power/punch the last few years.
    I was wondering wether there is any manufacturer that makes high power led bulbs with good cri and tlci rating?

Thanks ahead

Hello Arsene-- I'm not sure on high power LED bulbs-- I've only used the Philips Hue bulbs, mostly dimmed down, and mostly as practicals that can match other colors. If the traditional medium base bulb form factor is important, you might look into Quasar's A-LED bulb series. If that form factor isn't important, and it's more about other qualities of the light, there are new options for LEDs that can be used with a China ball or deliver similar results.

For something compact-- easy to rig from a pipe or something like that--, you can use flexible LEDs panels (like the Westcott Flex 1x1 or many other brands) inside a lantern, or just wrapped in diffusion. You bend them into a circular shape so that they output in all directions.

And if you're looking for very high power in a lantern shape, and can use a stand for the fixture, it's hard to beat the Aputure lantern softbox, which works with their 120d and 300d light fixtures (as well as other Bowens mount fixtures, presumably). It's easy to set up and break down, comes with a skirt for controlling spill, and costs less than $100.

A typical bulb would be ideal but it hasn't got to be!
    Important is that it is very much the same as a regular china ball. With an equivalent of around the 1000W that sometimes are used in regular chinaballs.
    Ideally dimmable.

I was aware of the aputure option mentioned, but it is something big sticking out. Also weighs significantly more and is besides a lot more expensive if you factor in the cost of the 120D or 300D (of course these can be used for other applications)

I'm not aware of any LED bulbs close to that level of power, unfortunately. The flexible LED lights could still be an option, though they're arguably closer to the power of a 500W bulb at best. If someone else knows about a light source like this, I'd love to know, too!

The falcon eyes mattes with a china ball type diffuser is pretty good option. Something like this. I haven't used an actual chinaball in years since stuff like this exists.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Falcon-Eyes...IAAOSwMEBao5u2

Nick

Bulbs aren't bright enough yet. For single point light in a lantern try a Hive 100 or 200. Or an Aputure. Or a cluster of led ribbon.
    Nick Morrison
    Founder, Director & Lead Creative
    // SMALL GIANT //
    smallgiant.tv

7. #7 Have you seen these? 
    Epic #4048 Pharaoh

Thanks for the info!
    Seems we still need to wait :)

I and many others have wrapped LED strips around a tube and used them inside china balls. you won't get 1000w equivalent, but if you use single color 120w strip you can probably hit the 500w equ. 1 5 meter strip fits around a tube about 4"x 6" roughly.

Also nick is right that an led mat with a diffusion "globe" works really well. but I don't think there are any mats that will give you that power with out going to something big like a litemat 4 maybe