Thread: Canon EOS R5 with 8K video! No crop!

Reply to Thread
Page 13 of 15 FirstFirst ... 39101112131415 LastLast
    Tilta Cooling Kit for the Canon EOS R5

By Newsshooter

Article
    https://www.newsshooter.com/2020/07/...-canon-eos-r5/

Tilta Website
    https://tilta.com/2020/07/tiltaing-c...-for-canon-r5/

Tilta EOS R5 Cooling Kit – Fan Accessory To Combat Canon R5 Overheating

By Cinema5D

Article
    https://www.cinema5d.com/tilta-eos-r...5-overheating/
    Last edited by rand thompson; 07-27-2020 at 12:04 PM.

Canon EOS R5 CINEMATIC Camera Test in 8K RAW!

By Armando Ferreira

Canon EOS R5 Image Quality vs R6, R, 5D Mk IV, 5DS-R & Sony a7R IV

By
    Tony & Chelsea Northrup

Canon EOS R5 12Bit 8K RAW Video Test

By
    DSI Pictures

Quote Originally Posted by rand thompson View Post
    Some Canon EOS R5 sample Vimeo Videos from Gordon Laing.

https://vimeo.com/user803551
    Yo Rand, that’s A7RIiiI footage . A lot to keep up with, right?

Tim
    Last edited by Timothy Jones; 07-31-2020 at 08:56 AM.

Canon EOS R5- Things you need to know if you are recording video

By Newsshooter

Article
    https://www.newsshooter.com/2020/08/...cording-video/

cross-examiner
    RED ONE @home
    Emanuel & Co's RED ONE
    RED ZOOM LENSES
    RED 300mm LENS
    Who am I?

* LINK *
    ** IMDb **

Quote Originally Posted by Emanuel A. View Post
    Note: the link is to an online petition to Canon to "fix" the R5. It is a harmless change.org link as far as I can tell but, given all of the online phishing attempts, it would be nice if posters of that type of link could describe what it is.

I'm waiting for my R5 preordered first day, and supportive of Canon doing whatever they can to get the most out of the R5, however I don't quite understand the "outcry" over the recording limitations that Canon was totally upfront about.

Seems to me the proper way to view the R5 is this: First it may be the best 35mm size still camera ever made given the combination of 45 MP, IBIS, exceptional human face and eye tracking, as well as animal face and even eye tracking for some species, the expanded optical capabilities provided by the larger throat and shorter flange distance, normal canon Flash implementation, 12 to 20 frames per second, etc.

As far as video, presumably the autofocus will also be excellent on a par with the best available anywhere given Canon's experience in other canon products (and probably better than possible in RED's current camera lineup if one is comparing). As far as overheating - the camera should be viewed as primarily a 4K camera (if I understand correctly there are 4K modes that provide unlimited or near unlimited recording times) with "burst mode" 8K video for up to 20 minutes - similar to how numerous cameras have "burst mode" high frame rates that can't be sustained but are still very useful.

Consider that for $3899 it very well may provide very similar 8K VistaVision DOF results as current $50K+ cameras for limited recording times and 4K VistaVision DOF for as long as you want. Does the recording limit make sense for a big budget film that might be better served by a Red Monstro or Arri 65? - probably not. Although as I mentioned earlier, somewhat, but not entirely facetiously - if 8K full frame is desired and longer record times are desired one could purchase 3 or 4 bodies for $12K-$15K and rotate quickly to shoot forever.

Ultimately there are a lot of people that can make good use of the camera despite its limitations. I have for 40 years always been on the bleeding edge of technology trying to get the most resolution I could within reasonable budgets. I sold my Epic-W a few months ago because I wasn't using it a lot and all the hassles of size, weight, batteries, etc. precluded me using it much for personal projects. (Not to mention my insurance bill per year was a third of the cost of the R5). As a Hydrogen owner, I looked to Komodo to get me a smaller, simpler, and cheaper high quality RED camera and I will probably still purchase whenever Hydrogen discount orders open up. (And the truth is if I need a higher end RED for a paying job I have numerous friends that I can borrow or rent from cheaply - not to mention that RED's success means there are so many REDs out there that regular rentals are awfully cheap as well.)

But R5 may still be my most used camera - I like the fact that I can do really high quality still work - with the ability to use flash in the manner professionals have come to expect - and still be able to shoot excellent 4K full frame video and 8K when it makes sense - all in a complete package that fits - with a full complement of L series lenses (i.e. 15-35, 24-70,70-200 the standard pro traveling photographer kit) - in a compact backpack.

To the original point - given all of the above, it doesn't seem as Canon has done anything but give us an incredible option, been upfront about its limitations, and no reason for the online "outcry".
    Save the Sharks
    RED Komodo soon. Original Manufacturer of RedOne & Epic/Scarlet/Weapon Underwater housings - contact us for sale or rent. RED owner since REDONE SN206. Manufacturer of Eye2Eye direct eye contact interviewing rig. 954.937.6600 (send a text first-having to use spam blocker these days) ... aquavideo1 at yahoo.com

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Hastings View Post
    To the original point - given all of the above, it doesn't seem as Canon has done anything but give us an incredible option, been upfront about its limitations, and no reason for the online "outcry".
    I totally agree Michael. And for those with a Komodo too, with the RF mount (once it gets supported), I think it is the perfect video and stills combo. Though my R5 hasn't arrived yet, I think its 120FPS uncropped 4K will be a nice compliment to Komodo's lack of full frame over cranked.

Quote Originally Posted by Andy Roberts View Post
    I totally agree Michael. And for those with a Komodo too, with the RF mount (once it gets supported), I think it is the perfect video and stills combo. Though my R5 hasn't arrived yet, I think its 120FPS uncropped 4K will be a nice compliment to Komodo's lack of full frame over cranked.
    You bring up a point which I approached but didn't articulate which is that these two cameras may be a perfect package for a lot of people - for about $10K you get the best of both worlds - both use the same lenses and lens accessories (e.g. if you want to use PL or almost any other common mount lens), you get global shutter with Komodo - you get IBIS, flash, Canon autofocus with R5 - you get long form shooting at 6K with Komodo, prob greater dynamic range and RED color science - you get "burst" mode 8K with R5, etc etc.

This is why I don't feel bad talking about the R5, or maybe I'm even backhandedly promoting it to an extent, on the Reduser site - there's a really good fit there.
    Save the Sharks
    RED Komodo soon. Original Manufacturer of RedOne & Epic/Scarlet/Weapon Underwater housings - contact us for sale or rent. RED owner since REDONE SN206. Manufacturer of Eye2Eye direct eye contact interviewing rig. 954.937.6600 (send a text first-having to use spam blocker these days) ... aquavideo1 at yahoo.com

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Hastings View Post
    This is why I don't feel bad talking about the R5, or maybe I'm even backhandedly promoting it to an extent, on the Reduser site - there's a really good fit there.
    My only pain point is that all my glass is Nikon. So making the costly transition to RF, but RF glass is looking really nice in terms of imagery. Some think the RF 28-70mm f2 is one of the best lenses Canon has ever made. I realize it isn't cine glass, but for the style of shooting I do, I think it will be perfect.