Thread: Iron Glass || Soviet Set || Cine Edition

Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Never put clip-on matte box on it!!! At least at the mkI version based on the native thin helicoid

Did it on purpose and it was fine. On a tripod though. I'm going to gather all the footage and make a short video regading all things. Will go to a rental house next week to shoot side-shots with the lens itself fully kitted on other camera. (already had some on my IG stories)

Quote Originally Posted by Ilya O. View Post
    Never put clip-on matte box on it!!! At least at the mkI version based on the native thin helicoid
    Are you talking about cine-mods, or full cine-rehoused? What's a MK I?
    Last edited by Alex Lubensky; 04-18-2020 at 02:11 PM.

A short comparison video about possible modifications (some are quite speccy, but fun).

Personally I wouldn't buy into full cine rehousing with any mod, except the original lens one or anamorphic bokeh mod (or maybe delete the coatings). But for the price of the cine-modded lenses one's I'd pick a bunch, just for fun.
    Last edited by Alex Lubensky; 04-21-2020 at 01:31 AM.

Some more tests. This one is a standard Zeiss test chart, we've compared Iron Glass 58mm F/2.0 (full cine rehoused, no adjustments to optics) to Zeiss Compact Prime 50mm T/2.1, Zeiss Standard Speed 50mm T/2.1, Arri Ultra Prime 50mm T/1.9, Sony Cinealta V2 50mm T/2.0 - all lenses at full-open.

While the overall feel of the image is noticeably soft, the lens has a lot of resolution. Seems to be far superior to a .CP2 in terms.

Some frame grabs straight out of my Scarlet MX (IPP2, medium, soft), shot on cine-rehoused Iron Glass Helios 44-2 58mm, with no mods, all at F/2.0

yes the helios 58 while beautiful is pretty much sd when wide open ;)
    JAKE WILGANOWSKI
    Director of Photography / Filmmaker
    CINE-AUTOMATIC.COM

pretty much sd when wide open
    I certainly wouldn't go that far.

Quote Originally Posted by Jake Wilganowski View Post
    yes the helios 58 while beautiful is pretty much sd when wide open ;)
    From my experience - it's not about the sharpness (see the resolution chart 300x compared to a .cp2 - day and night difference), it's about the optical scheme imperfections which makes the local contrast much lower. Definately not the lens for product shots, but for the portraits wide-open is a must. I really dig how it adds air to the image - the kind of imperfections which make the portraits so smooth and silky, still with lots of detail.

Arri UP 32mm T2.8 with BPM 1/8

I've recently shot a short TVC for Avon. Really simple one, a head against a blue backing. Usually I add a Tiffen 1/8 black pro-mist, when I use Arri UP lenses - to make the highlights less digital. But it was exactly the case where I shouldn't do that - the image lost too many contrast in blacks, and I had to correct on CC. This is exactly the same, what a Helios 44-2 does wide-open, but it looks not as "dumb" as putting a filter in front of your lens. It has a dimension to it, going from center to the edges.

While the 1/8 black pro-mist was a bad decision for this shot, I love it in 99,9% of occasions. Exactly the same goes to Helios, you just have to study when to use it, and when - not.

Iron Glass Helios 44-2 at F/2.0

Last edited by Alex Lubensky; 04-22-2020 at 01:08 AM.

I own several copies of this lens. I love it. It is extremely soft wide open though that’s all. I stand by the SD comment ha. It’s a great lens though!
    JAKE WILGANOWSKI
    Director of Photography / Filmmaker
    CINE-AUTOMATIC.COM