Thread: Iron Glass || Soviet Set || Cine Edition

Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 234567 LastLast
Results 51 to 60 of 66
  1. #51  
    Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    New York
    Posts
    84
    Thanks Bérenger, that video is super helpful, very useful information, glad you posted that. Hope they are able to fix it, because otherwise thats a hard pass from me. Avoiding that image shift is kind of the main point of doing the rehouse..

    Can you see where the movement is coming from? Like is there play in the mount or is the housing itself moving?
    Reply With Quote  
     

  2. #52  
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Dallas, TX
    Posts
    2,855
    Ooooh yeah that’s a real nasty shift
    JAKE WILGANOWSKI
    Director of Photography / Filmmaker
    CINE-AUTOMATIC.COM
    Reply With Quote  
     

  3. #53  
    Senior Member Bérenger Brillante's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Paris, France
    Posts
    1,920
    The play is on the front
    moving protruding part.

    But I think its just a bad unit as the other ones are perfect.
    Bérenger B. Brillante
    --Director Showreel--
    Reply With Quote  
     

  4. #54  
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Dallas, TX
    Posts
    2,855
    keep us updated, i ordered a 3 set a couple weeks ago
    JAKE WILGANOWSKI
    Director of Photography / Filmmaker
    CINE-AUTOMATIC.COM
    Reply With Quote  
     

  5. #55  
    Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    New York
    Posts
    84
    Berenger any updates on this? Would be very interested as I'm considering upgrading to the rehoused version.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  6. #56  
    Senior Member Bérenger Brillante's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Paris, France
    Posts
    1,920
    They are sending me another unit to replace it, and they are updating their FAQ to tell not to use clip on mattbox. I did put French flag and two filters to test it further.

    Also, its important to take the ring back to infinity before putting on and off the cap. The focus ring moves a bit on every lenses.

    They told me they will do a mk2 set without focus moving forward, and will offer trade in for a price. I will obviously do it.

    I think if we all send our wishes on the mechanical design, it should get better quickly.

    I have done my first shoot with them, and I have to say they are great. You need a proper rubber doughnut to use them safely, or no mattebox at all.

    They are so light. It's amazing.
    Bérenger B. Brillante
    --Director Showreel--
    Reply With Quote  
     

  7. #57  
    Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    New York
    Posts
    84
    Appreciate the update! I believe because the original focusing is unchanged and since its a still lens design that will seize when weight is put on the front (similar to old Superspeeds btw). Interesting that they will do a MKII, I wonder if it will be a complete redesign of the focusing mechanism and if so what the price difference will be? Because I imagine that's quite labor intensive..


    Quote Originally Posted by Bérenger Brillante View Post
    Also, its important to take the ring back to infinity before putting on and off the cap. The focus ring moves a bit on every lenses.
    Do you mean that the lens extends when focused? Or that the focus ring itself is loose/wobbly?

    Quote Originally Posted by Bérenger Brillante View Post
    I think if we all send our wishes on the mechanical design, it should get better quickly.
    I would love if they could implement a circular iris design for all the lenses, they already offer it as an upgrade for some of the lenses. BTW how has your communication been with them? So far I've been getting very spotty responses, been waiting for them to finish the design on the 20mm before I place an order.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  8. #58  
    Senior Member Bérenger Brillante's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Paris, France
    Posts
    1,920
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul Jonathan View Post
    Appreciate the update! I believe because the original focusing is unchanged and since its a still lens design that will seize when weight is put on the front (similar to old Superspeeds btw). Interesting that they will do a MKII, I wonder if it will be a complete redesign of the focusing mechanism and if so what the price difference will be? Because I imagine that's quite labor intensive..
    They will probably change the whole focusing mechanism to have it static. It will surely be heavier and longer. We will only pay the balance.


    Quote Originally Posted by Paul Jonathan View Post
    Do you mean that the lens extends when focused? Or that the focus ring itself is loose/wobbly?
    the lens extends when focusing, and on the long end, it tends to move.

    Quote Originally Posted by Paul Jonathan View Post
    I would love if they could implement a circular iris design for all the lenses, they already offer it as an upgrade for some of the lenses. BTW how has your communication been with them? So far I've been getting very spotty responses, been waiting for them to finish the design on the 20mm before I place an order.
    The rehoused version already have the circular iris upgrade.

    They have been very helpful with me, answering every questions. Even answering several times to be sure.
    Honestly , even with the extending focus, I'm very pleased with the lenses, and the company.
    Bérenger B. Brillante
    --Director Showreel--
    Reply With Quote  
     

  9. #59  
    Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    New York
    Posts
    84
    Quote Originally Posted by Bérenger Brillante View Post
    The rehoused version already have the circular iris upgrade.
    Wow! Thats news to me. All of the focal lengths? How many blades do their irises have? On the website they only list it as an upgrade to the 58mm, so I assumed the other focal lengths didn't have it.

    Quote Originally Posted by Bérenger Brillante View Post
    They have been very helpful with me, answering every questions. Even answering several times to be sure.
    Good to hear. What email address have you been using? Because with me it's sometimes weeks before I receive a response, sometimes I have to resend my email to get any response at all..
    Reply With Quote  
     

  10. #60  
    Senior Member kylebainter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Chicago/SW Michigan
    Posts
    398
    Anyone have a set in the Midwest they’d like to rent for a day? I have some on order but will not be arriving in time for an upcoming job.
    Reply With Quote  
     

Posting Permissions
  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts