Thread: Iron Glass || Soviet Set || Cine Edition

Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    Which versions are people getting of these? The Cine-modded? Or the full rehouse?

Cine-modded one's are the same old lenses, just with added gear rings and step-up rings to make the front filter diameter match. The lens is in the original body, just some things build-up on top. While full cine rehouse is a totally new lens body, the only thing left from the old lens is the optics.

I'd say if you want to play around and take a closer look at the glass, or want to try various ana bokeh mods - go with cine-mods. If you want to make them work on a set - full cine rehouse without mods only.

Quote Originally Posted by Alex Lubensky View Post
    Cine-modded one's are the same old lenses, just with added gear rings and step-up rings to make the front filter diameter match. The lens is in the original body, just some things build-up on top. While full cine rehouse is a totally new lens body, the only thing left from the old lens is the optics.

I'd say if you want to play around and take a closer look at the glass, or want to try various ana bokeh mods - go with cine-mods. If you want to make them work on a set - full cine rehouse without mods only.
    Thanks Alex. Are the Cine-Modded substantial enough for ND and filters on the front of the lens? Even a clip on matte box?

For screw-on ND's - fine. Clip-on - with 4x5,6 filters in - hell no.

It's a movable design lens, as any old one's - say Elite, Zeiss Standard Speed etc. - the front part of the lens body moves while focusing. Rehoused ones are good enough to hold a clip-on with 1-2 filters stacked in it, but how long are they going to last is a question. Most Standard Speeds I've met on set are unable to rotate focus with a mattebox attached over time.

Putting a clip-on on a cine-modded one is kinda the same, as to put a clip-on on any other photographic lens. Say Canon 24-105, would you put a clip-on on it?
    Last edited by Alex Lubensky; 06-03-2020 at 02:53 AM.

Hey Alex, what is your experience with the mechanics of the rehoused lenses? I bought the modded ones a few years back and am thinking of upgrading. Also have you had a look at the 20 and 135 yet? They only have renders on their website..

Senior Member Bérenger Brillante's Avatar
    I've had my 28-37-58-85 set for two days, and the mechanics seem fine. The 20-135 will ship when ready.

I have a concern about the 85mm on the macro side, as it protrudes a lot when focusing.
    Near the macro end, I can feel a bit of a change on the barrel resistance taht could lead to trouble with clip-on MB weight.
    There is foam on the inside of the front caps. It seems like a good idea at first, but old foam tends to loose some particles. So let's see in 10 years.

Other than that, so far so good. It's really feels good in the hands. It clicks ok, and the picture is great & usable even wide open. Far more than my old Ekrans.

On S35 in 5k from a S-W, I don't really see the swirling bokeh, but on FF-NikonZ6 it's perfect.
    Bérenger B. Brillante
    --Director Showreel--

Oh awesome, thanks for the update Bérenger. If you could upload some pictures or a video of the handling of the lenses that would be super helpful. I am familiar with their image quality, what I am trying to figure out whether the rehouse is really worth it, so things like how much they protrude etc would be good to know.

Iron glass already have these videos on their Instagram if you want.
    Bérenger B. Brillante
    --Director Showreel--

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I only saw them handling the lens and operating the iris in their videos, never the focus. Since this is still the old helicoid focusing I would love to know how much the lenses extend, how long the throw is and how it generally feels.

They did some video with full rotations also.

__

I've tested so far only by hands, and this morning I decided to put on a full rig with RTmotion and a Mistfit Atom.

28-58-85 went fine, but I've had trouble with the 37mm.
    I've done some fast swipe with the motor to check the image shift, as I've had lots of lomo and Ekran plagued by it.
    Well, the body, and the image shifts when focusing.

https://vimeo.com/439513526
    ironglass

I've sent a mail to Iron glass, and currently waiting for a answer.
    Bérenger B. Brillante
    --Director Showreel--