Thread: Database and cache files recommendation

Reply to Thread
  1. #1 Database and cache files recommendation 
    Hi wise ones,

I've been using Resolve more and more over Premiere (still using Premiere for some longer form legacy projects).

I'm hoping to get some advice on the best way to setup my Davinci database and cache location.

I'm on a PC 64gb ram, 1080ti.
    My footage is stored on Shuttle XL 24tb RAID 5 connected via thunderbolt 3.

I recently installed an M2 (970+ I think) Samsung 1tb SSD as my C drive. Not storing any files on there other than programs/windows.
    I also have a 250gb Samsung SSD and a 500gb Samsung SSD (as well as a bunch of slow internal backup drives just storing files).

How would you recommend I locate my main davinci database?
    m2 C drive? (plenty of space there). On one of the SSDs? Or on the RAID? And, why?
    Also where should I set the cache?

I currently have the cache set to the 500gb internal SSD and the database is on my RAID. But I'm now thinking I should possibly be storing the database on one of the internal SSD's. The m2 (c-drive) is the fastest but I'm not sure what the recommendation is for database location with regards to the C drive.
    (In Premiere I keep all files off the C drive and together on the RAID + backed up externally).

Thanks in advance

i use the C drive for Resolve's database, my C drive is a pair of mirrored EVO960's
    show media and caches (when needed, not often) are on an external 12 slot cage via SAS to an LSI raid card
    i also have a mirrored set for internal drives for project archives, database backup's, DRP's etc etc, no media there only metadata
    C drive only has software on it, is backed up every day to offsite storage
    i respect my cleint's risk phobia's

We have a PostgreSQL database server on a Mac Mini with a 2TB spinning internal drive. That's networked to several Resolve systems in the office to share projects.

Each Resolve system has a 4TB SSD for Gallery and Cache, and that works pretty well. I manually keep an eye on these drives every so often and just delete stuff that's 6 months old or older to keep the drive open.

I also have an attached secondary Project SSD drive that I use for backups and minor stuff that I don't want to put on the server, or need to take to a client's office or something. It mainly serves as an easy way to prep Resolve sessions to send to other systems.
    marc wielage, csi colorist/post consultant daVinci Resolve Certified Trainer

When I built my workstation I followed Phil's article.

http://www.phfx.com/articles/workstation_2018/

Very useful information!

Thanks guys!

Quote Originally Posted by Dermot Shane View Post
    i use the C drive for Resolve's database, my C drive is a pair of mirrored EVO960's
    show media and caches (when needed, not often) are on an external 12 slot cage via SAS to an LSI raid card
    i also have a mirrored set for internal drives for project archives, database backup's, DRP's etc etc, no media there only metadata
    C drive only has software on it, is backed up every day to offsite storage
    i respect my cleint's risk phobia's
    Dermot just to confirm, your database is on your C drive. Got that. I was 100% on where your cache files are. On your RAID with your footage?