Click here to go to the first RED TEAM post in this thread.   Thread: Phil's Cine RF Mount & Adapter F.A.Q.

Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 234567 LastLast
    That was super helpful thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Phil Holland View Post
    It's going to be a bigger concern on image performance in the edges on each individual Speedbooster and unless they are all using the same optics there will be some variance in quality. Coverage-wise you are actually within the design spec of FF35 3:2's image circle despite having a wider FOV similar to a 38mm sensor on a typical 0.71X reducer.
    Hey Phil could you elaborate on that " to be a bigger concern on image performance in the edges on each individual Speedbooster [...]there will be some variance in quality. ". What do you mean by performance in the edges? Vignetting? Apologies, I am a bit slow of study. I have set of Zeiss Contax and am wondering if I need to wait for other adapters to come out or pull the trigger on the speedbooster EF-RF. Cheers and thanks again for all the knowledge.

Quote Originally Posted by Domingo Lamarre View Post
    Hey Phil could you elaborate on that " to be a bigger concern on image performance in the edges on each individual Speedbooster [...]there will be some variance in quality. ". What do you mean by performance in the edges? Vignetting? Apologies, I am a bit slow of study. I have set of Zeiss Contax and am wondering if I need to wait for other adapters to come out or pull the trigger on the speedbooster EF-RF. Cheers and thanks again for all the knowledge.
    I'll keep it from getting too technical. Focal Reducers/Speedboosters are good at what they do. Shrinking a projected image circle to a smaller format size while increasing the intensity of light, usually about 2/3rds to 1 stop.

Keep in mind lenses are optimized to project their light to a flat surface and are usually designed pretty tightly. But optics are still optics and adding glass "does something" always. In the case of reducers you have one piece of glass working with a variety of lenses and not optimized for any of them in particular. And what you will uncover, because all lenses are different, is different levels of optical performance across the frame compared to just what you would expect when filming on a larger format, even on the same sensor.

Potential stuff you might discover:
    - More Vignetting than you'll experience on the native format
    - Enhanced Chromatic Aberration usually towards the corners and edge of frame
    - Enhancing of other Optical Artifacts, like Coma on wide angle lenses for example
    - Possible image projection related things, like even less coverage (that's part of where the possible larger vignette comes)
    - A difference in lens flare, glare, contrast, and internal reflections compared to just the native lens
    - Increase in aliasing and moire

That's the quick stuff. I'm not shooting down reducers. I use them for what they are good at. I more or less am somewhat bashing the marketing of the "miracle solution", pretty much the whole world that uses these only focus on the resolving power increase center frame and sort of ignore the other 90% of the image. Lenses are tools and it's important to understand what is happening to the image quality when you add optics in the mix. Companies aren't going to ever sell you the negatives and hell most reviewers were told what these did, which contributed to the "this is just always better" mindset. It's not always better. It's a rear of the lens auxilary optic. The cool thing is they exist and allow for the creativity, they are actually rather common in the world of astrophotography and other scientific imaging.

Use them or don't use them. I like them. It's just important to know what you're getting into. Stopping down cleans up some of the bad stuff, much like what you should do when using an expander as well (that goes the other way and usually eats a stop or more of light to project a smaller format lens to a larger format).

As to if there are "meaningful" differences to benefit or detract from the image quality you are after, well that's the whole thing really.

I suspect with some of the newer cameras, based on the early stuff I'm seeing right now, many are discovering once again that Variable NDs aren't the "perfect or ideal" solution either. It's just one of those things. Until you discover or know the downsides, you don't really know until it pisses you off.

The obvious choice here is too wait for the Komodo to ship to us commoners, rent the speedbooster and test it with the Contax (duh). Thank you for the explanation Phil, much appreciated once again.

Great news on the possibility of using Leica M lenses on the Komodo! Looking forward to playing with this! Thanks Phil
    Matthew Chuang ACS

www.matthewchuang.com

Phil, is there any chance of a RF to L adapter?
    www.digitalfx.tv

Twitter
    Instagram

RED One #83
    RED CF Monstro 8K VV
    RED CF Weapon 8K S35 Helium

Quote Originally Posted by Greg M View Post
    Phil, is there any chance of a RF to L adapter?
    There could only be a hardware conversion or possible mount changing option, both have exactly the same 20mm FFD.

Quote Originally Posted by Andreas Eymannsberger View Post
    both have exactly the same 20mm FFD.
    exactly...thats why I was curious. Maybe Jarred will build an L Mount Komodo :)
    www.digitalfx.tv

Twitter
    Instagram

RED One #83
    RED CF Monstro 8K VV

Sorry if this has been asked already but, what adaptor is included with the Komodo already? Also, what adaptor(s) would you advise one buy in advance as a hopeful pending Komodo owner?

Thank you for the article phil, informative and interesting. Its almost one here and I have editing to do tomorrow so Ill leave on this note:

Phil, thank you for being such a wealth of knowledge, every time I hear you on a livestream or read you content on REDUser, I learn something new and inspiring. I hope you continue to enjoy KOMODO and the rewards that follow it.

Also thank you for your LUTs, my color grades now have a better base grade than ever before because of your LUTs. I hope you enjoy your Komodo and I hope to soon join you on team KOMODO.
    DoP at Cortex Films
    Calgary, Alberta