Click here to go to the first RED TEAM post in this thread.   Thread: Phil's Cine RF Mount & Adapter F.A.Q.

Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    So when do we get to see it in action?

Thanks Phil for all you do here. Have you stumbled on any RF to PL (positive locking) adapters for Nikon, Canon EF, Leica M or yet, and if so, build quality?

Let's hope somebody is already planning fixed ND inserts for the Canon adapter.

Metabones says that there are no plans to update their EF - RF Speed Booster Ultra 0,71 with a locking cine version.

Quote Originally Posted by Luke Marcus Rosen View Post
    Thanks for the article Phil. For Leica-M mount lenses that are wider than 50mm, specifically say the Zeiss ZM 15mm with a rear element that protrudes significantly past the locking lugs of the mount, do you suspect the rear element to still fit inside the flange distance?
    While I can only dream of being Phil, I will note that once an RF>PL adapter is in place you are back to a 52mm FFD that should accommodate any protruding rear elements that fit PL native.

Cheers - #19

Quote Originally Posted by Bastien Tribalat View Post
    Thanks for this awesome thread !
    So just to be clear : a 0.71X focal reducer would work with FF lenses ?

And what about Kipon's focal reducer for Mamiya 645 to RF FF ? What would be the result on Komodo ?
    The 0.71x reducers will definitely need to be tested. They are intended to cover a 28.85mm APS-C image circle, whereas Komodo's is 30.5mm. We don't know for sure exactly how much leeway there is, it may or may not squeak by.

Comparing a 645 camera to Komodo, without a focal reducer, that would give a 2.07x crop factor (that's horizontal field of view, which I find most useful, especially with 645 and Komodo being very different aspect ratios; diagonal FoV it's 2.3). Adding the 0.7x Kipon, you multiply 2.07 and 0.7, getting a 1.449x crop factor (or 1.61x if you're using diagonal).

Quote Originally Posted by Luke Marcus Rosen View Post
    Thanks for the article Phil. For Leica-M mount lenses that are wider than 50mm, specifically say the Zeiss ZM 15mm with a rear element that protrudes significantly past the locking lugs of the mount, do you suspect the rear element to still fit inside the flange distance?
    Yes, it will. And by definition, it must. The Leica M to Canon RF adapter you'll buy to use this lens exists to extend the FFD to match that of a Leica M camera so that infinity focus can be achieved. Therefore any lens which didn't crash into the sensor/film on a native Leica M body won't when properly adapted either.

Rear protrusions like this can cause problems in three cases: (1) adapting to an SLR, where the protrusion interferes not with the sensor/film but with the mirror, not relevant to Leica M since its FFD is too short for any SLR, and (2) mounting on focal reducers, where the rear protrusion interferes not with the sensor/film but with the glass in the focal reducer, not relevant to Leica M since its FFD is too short to allow any focal reducers to be made for it, and (3) the rear protrusion is not too deep but too WIDE for the mount you're trying to adapt to [or perhaps for the adapter itself], not relevant to Leica M since its mount diameter is much smaller than Canon RF.

Thanks Phil. I love this stuff. I appreciate you writing this post. It was informative and helpful!

+1 Really amazing resource Phil; will definitely be pinning this one for future referencing. Thanks much!

Quote Originally Posted by Lee Saxon View Post
    The 0.71x reducers will definitely need to be tested. They are intended to cover a 28.85mm APS-C image circle, whereas Komodo's is 30.5mm. We don't know for sure exactly how much leeway there is, it may or may not squeak by.

Comparing a 645 camera to Komodo, without a focal reducer, that would give a 2.07x crop factor (that's horizontal field of view, which I find most useful, especially with 645 and Komodo being very different aspect ratios; diagonal FoV it's 2.3). Adding the 0.7x Kipon, you multiply 2.07 and 0.7, getting a 1.449x crop factor (or 1.61x if you're using diagonal).
    THANKS !
    That's exactly what I needed. :)
    VIDEO EDITING - COLOR GRADING - VFX
    APPLE FINAL CUT PRO, AVID MEDIA COMPOSER
    ADOBE CREATIVE CLOUD, DAVINCI RESOLVE, REDCINE X PRO...

Talking about adapters I wonder if anyone can help me. I have a Canon 300mm F2.8 FD lens modified to PL mount. Since I mainly use EF lenses I was thinking of getting an adapter from PL to EF, so I ordered one from Fotodiox. Strangely enough the PL mount on the lens was too big for the adapter so it is useless for me. I read somewhere that PL mounts can vary in size/depth, but I'm a bit at a loss and would like to hear if there is more knowledge about this kind of problem, as well as finding a working adapter. Thanks