Thread: DC Chavez 2020 Director's Reel

Reply to Thread
  1. #1 DC Chavez 2020 Director's Reel 
    Its alive- my new Director's Reel. Sometimes people ask me what exactly it is that I do... The answer is THIS. Everything you see here I produced, directed, edited, colored... This was a really tough one to make, as I don't just shoot cars anymore. Its been an interesting and super fun journey to get to this point. I look forward to making a lot more fun stuff in the future.

So many amazing people to tag that have been a part of this journey. The backbone of it all has been RED Digital Cinema cameras- especially Jarred Land for helping to make gear that allows a kook like me to look good. :)

Please enjoy the fruits of my labor... And yes, I just got done exporting this thing at 1:30 AM on a Friday night (Saturday morning?)

https://vimeo.com/394606096
    Los Angeles | http://www.dcchavez.com | Helium 8K S35 #6284 | Helium 8K S35 #4573 | @dcchavez

DC Chavez,

Really Great high quality work and I loved the grades of the different segments as well!

I don't have a large portfolio of work that gives my opinion much weight, but I know what I like, and I've seen hundreds of Red reels... and I must say, you have got serious skills. The framing and the color grading are just awesome. Maybe because I'm not a car guy, but my favorite sections of your reel was the non-car stuff. Keep at it.
    Andy Roberts
    Nikon and Leica-R lenses (for sale)

Great range of work!

VFX, Cinematographer, Photographer
    10 frame handles
    Vimeo
    Instagram

Quote Originally Posted by rand thompson View Post
    DC Chavez,

Really Great high quality work and I loved the grades of the different segments as well!
    Thank you Rand! As you know, this one was a bear to make. I can't believe how bad/broken Resolve 16.1.2 is... The ONLY way I could get this project to export was to uncheck "Render at source resolution." Once I did that, it exported a 3840 x 2160 timeline just fine. Way more difficult to complete than it should have been, but I am happy with the result (and not having to start the entire grade over again in version 15.

Quote Originally Posted by Andy Roberts View Post
    I don't have a large portfolio of work that gives my opinion much weight, but I know what I like, and I've seen hundreds of Red reels... and I must say, you have got serious skills. The framing and the color grading are just awesome. Maybe because I'm not a car guy, but my favorite sections of your reel was the non-car stuff. Keep at it.
    Andy- Thank you! I agree. The car stuff is where I started, and something I will never be able to escape- partially because I love it, and partially because I have some "expertise" there. The non-car stuff is where I have seen the most growth with my work in the last few years. Its been super fun. To be honest, if I could travel the world filming "How Its Made" but with better cinematography and more history of the brand, I would do it in a heartbeat... Anyone want to fund a show?!??!?! :)

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Gundu View Post
    Great range of work!
    Thanks for watching Bob!
    Last edited by DC Chavez; 02-29-2020 at 01:21 PM.
    Los Angeles | http://www.dcchavez.com | Helium 8K S35 #6284 | Helium 8K S35 #4573 | @dcchavez

DC,

NAB 2020 is coming up in April so maybe they're waiting until then for the next major update that will probably fix the problem you are having now.

Gorgeous! Love the movement. Nice work!!!

Fantastic work! Are the driving shots at ~1:49 at Joshua Tree?

Quote Originally Posted by DC Chavez View Post
    I can't believe how bad/broken Resolve 16.1.2 is... The ONLY way I could get this project to export was to uncheck "Render at source resolution."
    Just out of curiosity, have you mainly had issues with Resolve exporting or elsewhere, too (ie, the edit page)? I upgraded to 16.1.2 right when we got a new Mac Pro a couple weeks ago, so I wasn't sure what to blame for all the bugs I've been running into.

Incredible. Just finished editing my reel and was reasonably proud of it, but it's reels like yours keeping me humble. The color and movement are phenominal.

Quote Originally Posted by Travis Edwards View Post
    Fantastic work! Are the driving shots at ~1:49 at Joshua Tree?

Just out of curiosity, have you mainly had issues with Resolve exporting or elsewhere, too (ie, the edit page)? I upgraded to 16.1.2 right when we got a new Mac Pro a couple weeks ago, so I wasn't sure what to blame for all the bugs I've been running into.
    Thank you for watching Travis. The 1:49 shots were in Mojave at the Hyundai / Kia Proving Grounds. They have a ton of Joshua Trees all over their massive property. Each one is serial numbered and geotagged to make sure nothing ever happens to them!

I only use Resolve for Color, and roundtrip my edit from Premiere > Resolve > Premiere. I can only speak for a ton of random (soft) crashes during the color process and then absolute dysfunction when it came to the export page. I sure hope they RESOLVE the issues is 16.2.

Quote Originally Posted by Josiah Duncan View Post
    Incredible. Just finished editing my reel and was reasonably proud of it, but it's reels like yours keeping me humble. The color and movement are phenominal.
    Thank you Josiah! Its been a long road with many projects over the years... It was also a painstaking process to comb through every time I have hit Record to find the best bits to put into a reel. I think it was worth it though. as I am pretty happy with how this one turned out as well.