Thread: Smart phones for Komodo

Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. #1 Smart phones for Komodo 
    We shouldn’t forget that a smart phone is going to be a primary user interface for Komodo.
    Aside from those that already have an H1, what are you guys looking at?
    This new Experia looks interesting.

https://www.redsharknews.com/technol...dcast-terminal

I'm curious how many people are gonna be using their daily phones for this. I'd prefer buying a used but solid phone and enslaving it to the Komodo.
    Cinematographer/Editor/Writer

CinePros | Arterial Pictures
    RED Monstro CF "Baymax+"
    Blackmagic Pocket 4K
    Tokina Vista Primes
    Leica R

Quote Originally Posted by RJ_Ortiz View Post
    I'm curious how many people are gonna be using their daily phones for this. I'd prefer buying a used but solid phone and enslaving it to the Komodo.
    That is a good way of thinking.
    Not that it will necessarily stay attached to the Komodo during certain perilous pursuits, but maybe something that can take a beating, has a good quality display and has a decent battery to last the day?
    Formerly known as "nutman"
    ||| RED ONE #1333 ||| Epic-X #1003 |||
    ||| RED Hydrogen Houdini #0034 Titanium #1014 |||
    H4Vuser

I am hoping that Komodo has a good enough interface that I can avoid using any phone. For one, phones are not so great outside. Two, if the intention is to have a phone mounted on the camera, it sounds like all that's going to be is a subpar monitor/UI. If I'm going to attach a monitor to it, it's going to be a really good ultra bright, not a phone.

On my P4Ks/P6Ks, I rarely use the phone app for them even though in some ways it's easier. It's just a nuisance to have to dig it out of my pocket every time I want to adjust something. Yes, I could mount it, but I've already rigged them up with far better/useful equipment.

I'm a big believer that cameras should have as many dedicated buttons as possible so we don't have to dig through menus or use support devices. The P4K/P6K have done an admirable job in providing a good amount of dedicated buttons and their UI is the best IMO.

To me, the phone thing with Komodo is a nice option that I hope is not critical to using Komodo. I will be curious to see what the phone interface will let us do that we can't by just using the built-in system.

I’m a hopeless dreamer still wishing Jim comes back with a Hydrogen Pro phone, taking queues from this Sony phone and taking it to 11. Having said that I use an iPhone (the newest one) and will probably go for this Sony Xperia Pro. Sounds too cool and useful beyond drone, gymbal or fool control use, to not get it.
    Sérgio Perez

Weapon Monstro #03294 "Amochai" in Macau

Video Director/Creative/Producer

http://vimeo.com/user1503556

https://www.youtube.com/user/spzprod..._as=subscriber

The display on the Experias is really gorgeous. I am interested in the phone for potentially live streaming content and proxy recording. Jarred has said Komodo will interface via the app just like the phone's internal camera.
    There are quite a few small weekend music festivals that pop up around my area in somebody's cow pasture. Mostly local and regional bands typically.
    Be fun to live stream an hour or two of those, though it will most likely be a 4G connection at 720p rather than 4k over 5G. Pretty much the only way to get a signal out of those locations since many don't even have power beyond the genny running the stage.

The display on the Experias is really gorgeous. I am interested in the phone for potentially live streaming content and proxy recording. Jarred has said Komodo will interface via the app just like the phone's internal camera.
    There are quite a few small weekend music festivals that pop up around my area in somebody's cow pasture. Mostly local and regional bands typically.
    Be fun to live stream an hour or two of those, though it will most likely be a 4G connection at 720p rather than 4k over 5G. Pretty much the only way to get a signal out of those locations since many don't even have power beyond the genny running the stage.

https://www.smallrig.com/smallrig-pr...e-cpu2494.html

Likely to be a better solution than any other monitoring option, assuming there's no lag. Going to be hard to beat a smartphone with a big battery for the price, size and resolution.

Would be great if someone could make a custom phone designed just for Komodo with mounting points, long duration peak brightness and a big battery.

Quote Originally Posted by Robert Parkin View Post
    https://www.smallrig.com/smallrig-pr...e-cpu2494.html

Likely to be a better solution than any other monitoring option, assuming there's no lag. Going to be hard to beat a smartphone with a big battery for the price, size and resolution.

Would be great if someone could make a custom phone designed just for Komodo with mounting points, long duration peak brightness and a big battery.
    There will be some sort of pogo pin adaptor cradle to mount phones on Komodo with a USB-C connection for the link.

Quote Originally Posted by Robert Parkin View Post
    Would be great if someone could make a custom phone designed just for Komodo
    Yes and maybe one could get a discount on such a phone if they buy a Komodo.