Click here to go to the first RED TEAM post in this thread.   Thread: Komodo -Audio

Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    On a related note, have the capabilities of the EXT port been revealed? I like the idea of feeding audio into camera as a data file rather than an analog signal. No idea if it would be possible, but having used XLR to USB DAs (Apogee) for VO, it's an attractive option.

Cheers - #19

Quote Originally Posted by Blair S. Paulsen View Post
    On a related note, have the capabilities of the EXT port been revealed? I like the idea of feeding audio into camera as a data file rather than an analog signal. No idea if it would be possible, but having used XLR to USB DAs (Apogee) for VO, it's an attractive option.

Cheers - #19

+1 Audio over USB-C (or AES) would be killer. M2D2 would be the perfect match.

Quote Originally Posted by Blair S. Paulsen View Post
    Concur that feeding the camera a strong signal from an external pre-amp is preferred. Ideally you want the internal pre-amps doing as little as possible. Every db of gain in camera brings a bit more hash into the signal. FWIW, I've found that when I can keep the in camera gain under 5db by using solid external pre-amps the delta between sync and 2nd system sound quality is meaningless for most projects. The times I've cringed at the sound quality recorded in camera was when the gain was over 20db. YMMV.

Cheers - #19
    Good to know!

Quote Originally Posted by Jarred Land View Post
    Onboard mic plus mini 3.5mm input ( 4 channels total )

No XLR ports. No room for XLR's and I am not making Komodo bigger to accommodate such a thing. again...not what this camera was designed for.

But you all can make it something it is not supposed to be by adding a xlr input to 3.5mm breakout box /cable if you really want as many here have suggested :) . In terms of sound quality.. you are not gonna hear much difference between a balanced XLR and a mini jack with cable runs as short as this.
    Is this the Mic location on the side near the M4 screw and mic/headphone input?
    https://www.instagram.com/p/B07kK5wBbN3/

No, I think this is a small speaker.
    The microphones are these tiny holes on the front (barely visible, so small).
    (one next to the power/rec status LED, the other one on the opposite side in the shade)
    Last edited by Thomas B.; 05-30-2020 at 02:34 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Thomas B. View Post
    No, I think this is a small speaker.
    The microphones are these tiny holes on the front (barely visible, so small).
    (one next to the power/rec status LED, the other one on the opposite side in the shade)
    Thanks, I sort of thought the same but wasn’t sure. That would make more sense.

So what are people going to use? It’s time to start accessorize the camera. The Beachtek for DSMC2 is good but $500. Anything smaller but not over $1,000?

Quote Originally Posted by Jeremy Torrie View Post
    So what are people going to use? It’s time to start accessorize the camera. The Beachtek for DSMC2 is good but $500. Anything smaller but not over $1,000?
    Not quite an M2D2 from Sonosax but under 1000$

https://www.shop-ftt.de/de/vcp-m2-mini-arri-alex

PS: I don't understand the cheap audio concept. Better don't bother with external microphones. Or use this.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeremy Torrie View Post
    I'll likely use an existing Beachtek interface I have for an old Canon camcorder at first. But a prime choice consideration would be one of the newer mini-mixer/recorders that can feed the camera and do high quality double system recording.

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/searc...r70d%7Czoom-f4

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick Tresch View Post
    Not quite an M2D2 from Sonosax but under 1000$

https://www.shop-ftt.de/de/vcp-m2-mini-arri-alex

PS: I don't understand the cheap audio concept. Better don't bother with external microphones. Or use this.
    Hardly cheap Patrick! I’m talking about how to get good quality audio into Komodo. External mics like you’ve suggested are fine for B-roll situations, but not for dialogue recording. In the coming weeks for our testing we will be shooting actors on pickups in a very small run-and-gun situation (along side our 8K Ranger). But still want a solid pre-amp with XLR inputs, which can then feed the mini plug into Komodo.

We’re in a post-COVID world, and finding ways to be nimble is going to be the fun part.