Click here to go to the first RED TEAM post in this thread.   Thread: Komodo -Audio

Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeremy Torrie View Post
    Hardly cheap Patrick! I’m talking about how to get good quality audio into Komodo. External mics like you’ve suggested are fine for B-roll situations, but not for dialogue recording. In the coming weeks for our testing we will be shooting actors on pickups in a very small run-and-gun situation (along side our 8K Ranger). But still want a solid pre-amp with XLR inputs, which can then feed the mini plug into Komodo.

We’re in a post-COVID world, and finding ways to be nimble is going to be the fun part.
    I'm convinced, after trying many other options for on board audio (and not boomed or transmitter audio quality) that the M2D2 from Sonosax is as of today the best solution out there.
    XLR for such a small camera are overkill, they choose to go TA3. This mini preamp has a ton of features and has also the ability to use a MS configuration and use a MIX menu where you can limit overloaded signal with a Limiter/compressor. I use it on my RED Weapon and Sony A7mkIII and never have to worry about sound level. The 132db of the M2D2 and the limiter give me freedom of mind. I set a limiter when it goes beyond -9db and then send the signal to the minjack of the camera.

Cleanest camera sound ever in a small package.

Patrick

PS: I could be biaised because my friend is the founder of Sonosax ;-) but I bet you know this company if you are in the sound industry.

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick Tresch View Post
    I'm convinced, after trying many other options for on board audio (and not boomed or transmitter audio quality) that the M2D2 from Sonosax is as of today the best solution out there.
    XLR for such a small camera are overkill, they choose to go TA3. This mini preamp has a ton of features and has also the ability to use a MS configuration and use a MIX menu where you can limit overloaded signal with a Limiter/compressor. I use it on my RED Weapon and Sony A7mkIII and never have to worry about sound level. The 132db of the M2D2 and the limiter give me freedom of mind. I set a limiter when it goes beyond -9db and then send the signal to the minjack of the camera.

Cleanest camera sound ever in a small package.

Patrick

PS: I could be biaised because my friend is the founder of Sonosax ;-) but I bet you know this company if you are in the sound industry.
    No doubt an exceptional piece of kit. Not outrageously expensive given the quality, but still well north of $1k. Sound Devices Mixpre 3 supports feed to the camera as a mixer as well as internal recording with TC for about 2/3rds the price with accessories.

Quote Originally Posted by Nick Morrison View Post
    Yes but A box has no preamps.
    So the A-BOX wouldn't work on KOMODO like it does on DSMC2 splitting the input into 2 ???

Exmple: Using Lavariers that are pre -amped like Sennheisers, etc. 2 inputs without additional hardware other than the A-Box would be Epic!!!
    Alain Maiki
    Director || Filmmaker
    epicinmotion.com
    alainmaiki.com
    IMDb Alain Maiki
    RED Helium 8K S35
    Hydrogen ONE

I’m trying to figure this out too. Just wanting a simple A-box or short 3.5mm to XLR cable option but not sure how it’s wired. Not interested in external preamps, just trying to get scratch audio to the camera
    Cinematographer and gaffer for 16 years. Working in TV and feature films.

Authorized dealer for over 100 brands of Audio / Video gear and accessories including Teradek, Vazen, Tokina, AngelBird, Black Magic Design, Oconnor, Anton Bauer, SmallHD, Steadicam, Litepanels, Sachtler, and more!

GEAR: Arri Alexa XR 4:3 PLUS, RED Komodo Stormtrooper, Cooke 20-100, RED Pro Primes, RED 17-50.

Reels and info:
    www.NYCinematography.com

CEO of sales company:
    www.EverestStudios.TV

Quote Originally Posted by Alain M View Post
    So the A-BOX wouldn't work on KOMODO like it does on DSMC2 splitting the input into 2 ???

Exmple: Using Lavariers that are pre -amped like Sennheisers, etc. 2 inputs without additional hardware other than the A-Box would be Epic!!!
    It’s wired the same as DSMC2

VFX, Cinematographer, Photographer
    10 frame handles
    Vimeo
    Instagram

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Gundu View Post
    It’s wired the same as DSMC2
    But it doesn't have phantom power, does it?
    Breonna Taylor's killers still haven't been charged.

http://www.magicgoggles.com : Red Epic Dragon #7703 "Ilsa" : Komodo ST #389 "TK-421"

Quote Originally Posted by joshua csehak View Post
    But it doesn't have phantom power, does it?
    nope.

VFX, Cinematographer, Photographer
    10 frame handles
    Vimeo
    Instagram

Pretty much the industry standard 3.5mm unbalanced stereo input wiring. You can wire one channel of that to an XLR, but it will still be unbalanced. Wire both channels to 3-pin XLR mic and they will be out of phase, so cancel each other. You need a transformer interface or a preamp to convert to dual channel balanced input. Preamp gets you phantom power, otherwise your mic needs batteries or external supply if not dynamic.

Quote Originally Posted by Blair S. Paulsen View Post
    On a related note, have the capabilities of the EXT port been revealed? I like the idea of feeding audio into camera as a data file rather than an analog signal. No idea if it would be possible, but having used XLR to USB DAs (Apogee) for VO, it's an attractive option.

Cheers - #19
    This would be amazing. Jarred has a shown that the EXT port has quite a few capabilities, including a General Purpose In/Out. That said I never really have any issues feeding in audio through a short run 3.5mm cable.

Quote Originally Posted by andrewhake View Post
    This would be amazing. Jarred has a shown that the EXT port has quite a few capabilities, including a General Purpose In/Out. That said I never really have any issues feeding in audio through a short run 3.5mm cable.
    No audio capability on the EXT port. The GPIO ports, one in and one out, are for logic voltage or contact closure controls. Simple external record switch and tally light for instance. Have to see a menu to find out how and what functions can be assigned to GPIO.