Click here to go to the first RED TEAM post in this thread.   Thread: Komodo -Audio

Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by David Rasberry View Post
    Use an external preamp or micro mixer feeding line level to the mini-jack input. You will get much better quality sound this way on any camera, XLR inputs or not. Typically your record S/N ratio will be at least 15dB better on just about any camera.
    Cameras are very hot EMI/RFI noise environments internally. It is virtually impossible to adequately shield microphone preamps from this, even very good ones.
    I realize this but not mini’s are not as solid as XLR’s and never were. Even a mini XLR would be better.

Quote Originally Posted by Robert Parkin View Post
    Might have to sacrifice a MixPre 3 to see if I can reduce the size of it and match the Komodo footprint to mount it underneath. I think the Mix Pre 3 is the best way to use Komodo as a run and gun A cam.
    Komodo wouldn’t be as tiny anymore I guess, an external mixer being fed into Komodo via XLR would be nice.

I'm personally hopping for a Zoom F3, with 32-bit float recording, 4 Phantom Powered XLR, TC, USB Power, BTA-1 Bluetooth adapter (for Rec sync with Komodo?) that could be mounted under Komodo, and would take place between:

the Zoom F1:

https://www.zoom-na.com/products/fie...un-mic-0#specs

The F4:

https://www.zoom-na.com/products/fie...rder#downloads

And the Zoom F6:

https://www.zoom-na.com/products/fie...recorder#specs

(I'm calling Zoom right now!)
    Last edited by yann LHENORET; 02-21-2020 at 11:37 AM.
    🧠+👁️+👂🏼+📹=...
    Documentary shaper, "that guy...".
    https://m.imdb.com/name/nm1523882/?ref_=nv_sr_srsg_0

Quote Originally Posted by H Dewey View Post
    Does the Komodo have a USB Type C interface? If so something like a Saramonic Smart Rig could plug in and provide dual XLR connectivity.
    If it has audio over usb-c you could use the M2D2 from Sonosax. It has 2 of the best audio preamp. Smaller than Mixpre3 footprint. And has a compressor limitor built in the mix menu.

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick Tresch View Post
    If it has audio over usb-c you could use the M2D2 from Sonosax. It has 2 of the best audio preamp. Smaller than Mixpre3 footprint. And has a compressor limitor built in the mix menu.

Better preamps than Mixpre?

*edit. Much higher price.

Quote Originally Posted by Roshdi Alkadri View Post
    I realize this but not mini’s are not as solid as XLR’s and never were. Even a mini XLR would be better.
    A suggestion for this is to use a mini jack with extended barrel threads and a matching screw collar plug on the cable to lock it in place. It is a common solution on wireless mic belt packs.

Quote Originally Posted by David Rasberry View Post
    A suggestion for this is to use a mini jack with extended barrel threads and a matching screw collar plug on the cable to lock it in place. It is a common solution on wireless mic belt packs.
    +1. I'd also consider a monitor/recorder unit with XLR and SDI inputs. This would give you hero sound already synced to a baked RGB image for immediate editorial. If there's a color pass in your workflow, just sub in the RGB created from the graded RAW.

To me, having a combo monitor/recorder with the Komodo is the sweet setup for a lot of shooting situations. Atomos and BMD both have options that support 12G SDI. The Atomos Shogun supports XLR via a breakout cable, can't comment on pre-amp quality.

BTW, there are some pretty decent options for recording directly to a phone using an outboard DAC/pre-amp and proper mic. It's a great option if your set is a wireless war zone and running a cable isn't viable. YMMV.

Cheers - #19

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Dease View Post
    Better preamps than Mixpre?

*edit. Much higher price.

Beter preamp than Qantar X3.

I'm curious what's onboard the Komodo in re: internal audio?

I was watching an old family video I did and recorded straight from the camera (RAVEN)... sound was very good.

not something I'd use even for an Indie shoot, but something nice to have for a back-up.
    I live on the edge of financial ruin and have ever since the RED One, (And yes, I can still laugh about it.) :)

Quote Originally Posted by H Dewey View Post
    I'm curious what's onboard the Komodo in re: internal audio?

I was watching an old family video I did and recorded straight from the camera (RAVEN)... sound was very good.

not something I'd use even for an Indie shoot, but something nice to have for a back-up.

RED cameras are certainly capable of recording clean audio. Just feed it a good quality signal.

https://www.instagram.com/p/BxlBOXEF..._web_copy_link

https://www.instagram.com/p/BiA-U6wH..._web_copy_link

VFX, Cinematographer, Photographer
    10 frame handles
    Vimeo
    Instagram