Click here to go to the first RED TEAM post in this thread.   Thread: Komodo -Audio

Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
  1. #1 Komodo -Audio 
    Any professional audio solutions other than separate recording. No mini or full XLR it seems.

Senior Member Christoffer Glans's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Roshdi Alkadri View Post
    Any professional audio solutions other than separate recording. No mini or full XLR it seems.
    Would have been good to have the baseplate module have a mini XLR together with its timecode ports. There has to be some kind of input for audio, I thought there was a mini input? If that's the case it's a bit bad for those wanting to sync through audio sync boxes or using stabilizers like the SteadXP.
    Hopefully Red could spill the beans on this.

EDIT: checking the drawings... yes, it has a mic mini input. Would be good to have XLR inputs though, if there was any space left on the baseplate module.
    "Using any digital cinema camera today is like sending your 35mm rolls to a standard lab. -Using a Red is like owning a dark room."
    Red Weapon 6K #00600

Quote Originally Posted by Roshdi Alkadri View Post
    Use an external preamp or micro mixer feeding line level to the mini-jack input. You will get much better quality sound this way on any camera, XLR inputs or not. Typically your record S/N ratio will be at least 15dB better on just about any camera.
    Cameras are very hot EMI/RFI noise environments internally. It is virtually impossible to adequately shield microphone preamps from this, even very good ones.

There's a small headphone jack and there's TC - that should be enough to sync later.

A MixPre 3 is all you need really.
    Nick Morrison
    Founder, Director & Lead Creative
    // SMALL GIANT //
    smallgiant.tv

Might have to sacrifice a MixPre 3 to see if I can reduce the size of it and match the Komodo footprint to mount it underneath. I think the Mix Pre 3 is the best way to use Komodo as a run and gun A cam.

Quote Originally Posted by Christoffer Glans View Post
    EDIT: checking the drawings... yes, it has a mic mini input. Would be good to have XLR inputs though, if there was any space left on the baseplate module.
    What about wooden camera's a box that gives you 2 xlrs into a 3.5mm jack? Plus, no extra module needed!

Quote Originally Posted by Luke Marcus Rosen View Post
    What about wooden camera's a box that gives you 2 xlrs into a 3.5mm jack? Plus, no extra module needed!
    Yes but A box has no preamps.
    Nick Morrison
    Founder, Director & Lead Creative
    // SMALL GIANT //
    smallgiant.tv

What about the Beachtek DXA-RED. Ive been using it with my Helium. Sounds great with a very small footprint

I've used the Juicedlink which sounds good but chews through 9v batteries. Anything affordable with better battery life out there?

Does the Komodo have a USB Type C interface? If so something like a Saramonic Smart Rig could plug in and provide dual XLR connectivity.
    I live on the edge of financial ruin and have ever since the RED One, (And yes, I can still laugh about it.) :)