Thread: "Blu-Ray has five years left" - Samsung

Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast
    They said the same thing about books... How first computers and then the Internet would kill them off because it is all about convenience or whatever. But exactly the opposite happened: More books are being published now than ever.

I think what some of you are forgetting is that movies have at least two distinct phases in their distribution cycle: INITIAL DISTRIBUTION and SELL-THROUGH.

The first is the phase where people first see a film. This is definitely changing. But the second is when someone likes a film enough to want to 'own' it. This is where dvd's and blu-rays come in. These discs therefore represent no direct challenge or competition to Internet streaming or whatever other new technology is used for initial distribution. I just can’t see someone ‘investing’ lets say $300 on a “virtual” box set of 25 movies from John Ford (like the Ford at Fox box set). For that kind of money the damn thing better have a glossy book, an awesome case, photographs, essays, mementos, drapery and a velvet rope and red carpet welcoming me to John Ford’s works. You are telling me an iPod is going to change this? I don’t think so.

And before anyone points to the music industry as an 'example', please remember that the average person thinks of movies differently than music. With movies there is the view that it is more of an investment (time-wise) to sit through a film than listening to music. So being able to 'own' your own physical copy of a film that you like with all the extras and special features still holds a very strong appeal. With music it just isn’t so (especially after the Music industry failed to understand this and at one point priced CD’s MORE than movies and only gave a crappy disc with an insert booklet in return… wait! At one point they actually used to separate the two in those long plastic containers to make it seem like more and you had to assemble it yourself).

So anyway, I just have a really hard time believing that suddenly an entire phase of a movie's existence is just going to disappear. Sell-through is here to stay. And the best way still is a physical disc. Just look at how excited people are about the imminent release of Blu-Rays from the Criterion Collection. These are films we all have already seen and, in many cases, even already own. But just the fact that Criterion is putting out collector editions of excellent films with excellent transfers and really cool extra features (They invented it!) is enough to make people spend money again on the same films. Long live physical reality where I can actually 'hold' a movie in my hands!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Claus View Post
    Agree as well, blu-ray is too late. It will take too long to convince the average customers, the masses. Buy a macbook touch/pro in 2011 and you will get right in your hands at least 500 Mb ssd storage, wireless HDMI to connect to your flat tv, integrated 4g/LTE with at least 20Mbit/s internet access and a nice oled display. So you can download your HD Videos via mobile internet very fast and easy. I think, it's all about convenience, the iPhone is a good example how it works.
    Uhhhhhhh....Right. That's why Apple TV has been so successful

Lot of Blu-Ray naysaying going on here...

As far as consumer video goes, Blu-Ray is it and probably all there will be for the next 10+ years unless someone comes along with something that can vastly improve the image quality *AND* drastically cut the price.

The average consumer is comfortable with Blu-Ray and I don't understand why people think it's a dead or dying format.

Key points in favor of Blu-Ray right now:

* Full backing from every major Hollywood studio.
    * Player prices falling faster than DVD player prices at this stage in their introduction.
    * Players under $300 for this holiday shopping season, Sony S300 overstocks on clearance soon for ~$250.
    * Picture quality outpaces most consumer displays and many peoples' eyesight. Vastly superior image and sound compared to any online, on-demand, or electronic delivery currently available.
    * Tangible media to buy, no DRM restricted downloads locking you into single platforms (iTunes).
    * Profile 2.0 has opened up the "managed copy" and "digital copy" features to allow disc owners to load their movies at full quality onto media servers.

I fully expect Blu-Ray to be the last of the disc-based media formats. The future (to me at least) is solid state in the form of single-write PROMs and WORM FLASH for content distribution.

Convenience of obtaining the media is a good argument. However, there is a large portion of the retail market out there who prefers quality over convenience. Why should I spend $20 on an "HD" movie through iTunes? It's barely better than DVD quality, in some ways inferior. The audio is inferior to DDEX 5.1 or DTS, I can only play it on my AppleTV, iPod and computers. I feel the same way about audio... I can usually pick up a CD cheaper than an album on iTunes, much better quality, no DRM. But I'm an audiophile, I'm a videophile. I don't tend to buy any movie unless it's going to look great on my 72" 1080P DLP (AppleTV HD looks like ass). I don't tend to buy music unless it's going to sound great on my sound system. iTunes downloads are intended for the crowd who prefers to listen to their music through shitty earbuds and table-top iPod docking stereo systems. Unfortunately, that's 88.5% of the market.
    - Jeff Kilgroe
    - Applied Visual Technologies, LLC | RojoMojo
    - Just me and my 8K Monstro VV kicking ass.

Quote Originally Posted by TheThe View Post
    And here I thought the whole idea of going camping was to get away from civilization and electricity and modern comforts. :innocent:

In any case, I still fail to see how having a nice shelf of movies with cases precludes one from also having the iTunes version on one's laptop. In fact I think that the tendency in the future is for movie releases to also include a digital copy for when people want to go camping. I think a few blu-ray releases already did this.

By the way, when you were camping, what movie did you end up seeing?
    Hehe.... When you go camping 5 days a year, you want to get away from it all. When you camp 75 days a year, you sometimes miss your movie collection. That night I watched Batman Begins @ 1080.

I am not saying that Bluray sucks or is lame. I think Bluray will be successful. I'm just saying that after Bluray, the model will move toward network distribution and HDD or solid-state storage. I mean, look - when I was a punk working at the pizza shop at 15, half my paltry check every week went to buying shiny new CDs. I had racks of them that I worshiped and treasured and played all the time. Now I have all my music on my desktop, with not a jewel case in sight. There is a model for this type of change.

Unfortunately Blu-Ray has not been meeting industry expectations. Consumers can't see enough of a difference from SD DVDs.

I believe Blu-Ray will be around for a while as there is not a cheaper/better technology to replace it. I also believe that the next generation whenever it arrives will be a solid state technology.
    Mitch Gross
    Director of Communications
    Convergent-Design

Once 1080p HD saturates the US market, and Bluray players fall in price, they WILL see enough reason to go with Bluray.

yep....solid state one day. there will be no 'discs'. also, i think that your house will have a central server that houses all your media, and portable devices will simply be able to access it from anywhere....

Senior Member Radoslav Karapetkov's Avatar
    I think it will be mostly about codecs in the future, not physical media.

A 720p movie can perfectly fit in a DVD5 with a very good quality. A 1080p movie can fit on a DVD9 in the same way.

If this RedRay codec is real, it seriously kicks H.264's butt. And I thought H.264 was hot.

For the moment, it [RedRay] sounds like a scam. :bleh:

P.S. I also thought that the HVX was hot but then this billionaire dude went nuts.
    EveryOne is the One...

Quote Originally Posted by Tom View Post
    Hehe.... When you go camping 5 days a year, you want to get away from it all. When you camp 75 days a year, you sometimes miss your movie collection. That night I watched Batman Begins @ 1080.

I am not saying that Bluray sucks or is lame. I think Bluray will be successful. I'm just saying that after Bluray, the model will move toward network distribution and HDD or solid-state storage. I mean, look - when I was a punk working at the pizza shop at 15, half my paltry check every week went to buying shiny new CDs. I had racks of them that I worshiped and treasured and played all the time. Now I have all my music on my desktop, with not a jewel case in sight. There is a model for this type of change.
    I hear ya on the music thing. I also bought a sh*t load of CD's up until a few years ago (I still have about 2,000 of them). And I also ripped them to a hard drive array (I now have about 1.5 Tb dedicated to just music). But I still think that when it comes to movies it is different. Yes, sure, I'll probably also rip them to a home media server when the size/price ratio of storage space makes it possible... but I still would want those movies as reference / backup.

By the way, I also do a ton of watching on my laptop since I travel a lot. But instead of carrying around a hard drive I just carry a Case Logic CD flip book that holds the 200 most recent movies that I bought but still haven't seen. I call this homework :shifty: (By the way, I would need a 2 Tb drive to hold them all... but I am too cheap to buy one just for that).

P.S. cool choice on the movie. Batman Begins is one of my favorites from that genre.

Quote Originally Posted by Mitch Gross View Post
    Unfortunately Blu-Ray has not been meeting industry expectations. Consumers can't see enough of a difference from SD DVDs.
    Hi Mitch

I am a great fan of your posts. So I almost feel bad... but I have to ask you this: Are you basing your comments about Blu-ray on your opinion and gut feeling? Or are you following the DVD / Blu-ray industry by reading Home Media Magazine or some other authoritative publication? The reason I call you on this is because I was under the impression that Blu-ray was doing just fine, with libraries now even carrying it. In fact sales have been impressive considering the down-turn of consumer spending. It is my impression that this holliday season will be especially strong for the format considering all the titles that have been announced. And also, if you really believe that consumers can't tell the difference between Blu-ray and regular DVD (which they can!), then why bother with Red? Why not just use a DVX?