Click here to go to the first RED TEAM post in this thread.   Thread: Komodo Batteries

Reply to Thread
Page 15 of 19 FirstFirst ... 5111213141516171819 LastLast
    After total frustration and desperation I found Canon BP-975's at a rental house. Yes, they are used but considering I still have fully functioning 5D MKII batteries I decided to gamble and buy 4. They shipped them overnight just in time for a shoot and all have checked out and function at spec. I quickly bought another 4. BTW- bought 2 chargers at $63 each and the batts were $72 each.

https://www.lensauthority.com/produc...bp-975-battery
    field dominance
    commercials | corporate films | branded content
    tel- 305-497-0467 email-prio[at]fddom.com IG- carlosprio

Adorama has a few in-stock right now used... Bp-975's
    1st AC | Movi Operator | Shotover & Freefly Pilot | RED Komodo ST #839 | Nikon Z6 Shooter | DZO Film 20-55

#crashingisntanoption

All gone.

Quote Originally Posted by J. Orlandi View Post
    I'd be looking to build a right angle lemo to Ptap, know of any already existing cables that might work? I'm just trying to confirm if it's the same cable connection as the 2pin Teradek connections, because that makes it easy to make/build (maybe having to reverse the polarity to work?)
    EDIT: I just realize that Komodo Lemo input is Male and not female like on the Teradek gear... :) Hopefully I haven't yet ordered my connectors

NEVER USE A TERADEK CABLE ON YOUR KOMODO ! THE POLARITY IS NOT THE SAME.

....I was looking for a solution to power my Komodo and checked polarity of the Teradek cables to see if I can use my cables ( D-Tap to Lemo 2 Pin 0B).

KOMODO Lemo is wired this way : PIN 1: + 7 to 17V DC
    PIN 2: Ground

( I haven't found any posts that spotted that risk (?)....Always test your custom cable with a tester before using it )
    Cinematographer

Quote Originally Posted by Thibaut de Chemellier View Post
    NEVER USE A TERADEK CABLE ON YOUR KOMODO ! THE POLARITY IS NOT THE SAME.

....I was looking for a solution to power my Komodo and checked polarity of the Teradek cables to see if I can use my cables ( D-Tap to Lemo 2 Pin 0B).

KOMODO Lemo is wired this way : PIN 1: + 7 to 17V DC
    PIN 2: Ground

( I haven't found any posts that spotted that risk (?)....Always test your custom cable with a tester before using it )
    The scary thing with 2 pin lemos, you can grab them push in and twist the outside housing of the connector 180 degree and viola polarity is now swapped... which is both good and bad in so may ways. :)
    Björn Benckert
    Creative Lead & Founder Syndicate Entertainment AB
    +46855524900 www.syndicate.se/axis
    VFX / Flame / Motion capture / Monstro

I had the problem once but it's not normal. If you can reverse polarity just by twisting the outside housing there must be a bad assembly or something is broken inside. Either way don't use it like it is.
    Cinematographer

Quote Originally Posted by Thibaut de Chemellier View Post
    I had the problem once but it's not normal. If you can reverse polarity just by twisting the outside housing there must be a bad assembly or something is broken inside. Either way don't use it like it is.
    That goes for pretty much all 2 pin lemon then. Hold it tight between you fingers so the tsp is pushed in and twist. They are built to work that way.
    Björn Benckert
    Creative Lead & Founder Syndicate Entertainment AB
    +46855524900 www.syndicate.se/axis
    VFX / Flame / Motion capture / Monstro

Guys what V-Mount Battery option do you think is better for use with the Komodo, the Nano Core SWX or the GDU batteries? They where very similar in size and specs, any insight I will appreciate.
    Jair Guillen Schwarz
    Cinematographer & Camera Operator | Scuba Diver | Peru
    Reel: https://vimeo.com/382445776
    Instagram: @jairguillens

Coming soon: RED Komodo 6K

Just my .02: Batteries get dropped and banged around a lot. Metal dents... Why would you want a battery with a thin metal shell over it? Also think about handling metal in really hot or cold environments.

Quote Originally Posted by Jair Guillen Schwarz View Post
    Nano Core SWX or the GDU batteries?
    I believe the GDU batteries are based on the Dynacore 98s Tiny. Your preference between them just depends on your feelings on the metal shell.

As for Core vs. GDU, both are based on quality cells, and the specs are very similar. I suspect that in practice you won't notice a big difference in performance.