Thread: LEICA R or COOKE mini S4?

Reply to Thread
  1. #1 LEICA R or COOKE mini S4? 
    Any test on LEICA R vs COOKE mini S4?

Im try to see if it would be a good move to get the Cooke mini S4 or keep the leicas R?

IG: @edymartinezdp

www.2430nortefilms.com

I have owned both sets for some time.

For me, I started off shooting the Leica R a long time back, it was a good move for me and I achieved really nice results on a budget.

But, then, they became a bit of a pain working on larger productions, with remote focus units, on rigs and in remote heads etc. The EF mount that had been useful was a bit of a pain working in with PL glass.

I got the Cooke Mini S4i set and it was excellent.

Great look, more consistent than the Leica set, and perfect cine mechanics.

I shot a heap of great projects with them.

Have a look through my work if you want to see some examples. Feel free to message me.

Both sets are actually for sale currently as I am downsizing my kit.
    Ben Ruffell
    Director of Photography
    www.benruffell.com

Here are Three Separate Tests , However not a "VS" Test

Cooke S4i Mini Test on Red Helium - Quick Tips By Camera Ambassador

by Camera Ambassador

Arri Mini Lens Test with Cooke S4/i Mini

by
    Camera Ambassador

Cine-modded Leica R Studio Lens Test

by
    Camera Ambassador

It's all personal taste, but I prefer the look of the Leicas, specially if it's matched 70's - 80's set. But unless you have them rehoused, which is extremely expensive, Cookes Mini S4 are proper cine lenses with great mechanics and that makes a big difference.

Senior Member Jens Jakob Thorsen's Avatar
    GL-optics makes a nice R-set. Fully rehoused.
    Jens Jakob Thorsen DFF
    Director of photography
    Denmark
    www.jensjakob.com
    mail@jensjakob.com
    Monstro VV

I'm very interested in this topic as well. Currently own Gemini with Canon CN-E Cine Primes. I am thinking of unloading the Canon's for Leica R's to get my overall weight down for single-op jobs but I definitely have a concern about focus rotation and effectiveness with follow focus motors in comparison to 300 degree focus of my true cinema lenses. I also thought about a potential option of keeping the Canon Cine Primes and picking up a set of Canon FD's to compliment them when I need a lower contrast or lighter options for handheld/gimbal but overall I am leaning toward the Leica look since I have been shooting on Canon for so many years now and I would like to try something new to better differentiate my final look of my projects. Would love to hear any feedback on the Leica's and see some examples from anyone using them.
    R3D DSMC2 GEMINI

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Reese View Post
    I'm very interested in this topic as well. Currently own Gemini with Canon CN-E Cine Primes. I am thinking of unloading the Canon's for Leica R's to get my overall weight down for single-op jobs but I definitely have a concern about focus rotation and effectiveness with follow focus motors in comparison to 300 degree focus of my true cinema lenses. I also thought about a potential option of keeping the Canon Cine Primes and picking up a set of Canon FD's to compliment them when I need a lower contrast or lighter options for handheld/gimbal but overall I am leaning toward the Leica look since I have been shooting on Canon for so many years now and I would like to try something new to better differentiate my final look of my projects. Would love to hear any feedback on the Leica's and see some examples from anyone using them.
    If you don’t mind stills glass then you really should read through the Contax Zeiss survival guide and then drop $700 on a mint 85mm 1.4. It will be the best money you ever spent. The look on an 80’s-90’s Contax Zeiss 85mm 1.4 is magical. There is a Facebook group where the moderator tracked down all the serial numbers for each year, so you can even buy from the exact year, if you want.

Get the leicas rehoused instead of the cookes. The leica R's will cover large format in case you ever decide to go that way.

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Reese View Post
    There is plenty to see in the Leica R thread.
    I shot this film with rehoused Leica R's and Angeniuex Optimos. https://www.imdb.com/title/tt5936866/reference Title is "A Dark Place" in the US