Click here to go to the first RED TEAM post in this thread.   Thread: Best Gimbals/Steadicams for Komodo?

Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    Senior Member Bérenger Brillante's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Jarred Land View Post
    I've actually been testing this one the last few days with Komodo. Its unusual.. in a good way.. and tracks very well.

Oh man, I'm so happy I chose the weebill S for my Z6. I would have hated to buy a third gimbal.
    There is only the matter of the Zhiyun HDMI image transmission which obviously won't be available but....

Will Red release some kind of wireless TX to mount on the pogo pins so we can monitor wirelessly on phones ? If there is power on the pogo of course.
    or maybe it's already inside the body ?
    Bérenger B. Brillante
    --Director Showreel--

Overkill for Komodo but does anyone here have experience with the Movcam Helm gimbal? I have been waiting its release, but starting to wonder if it is still coming out. I have heard a few rental houses across the country have them.

Senior Member Christoffer Glans's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Björn Benckert View Post
    Gimbals need Y stabilisation to look "like a steady cam".
    Yes, that’s the crux of it. Are there ANY options that fit the price point of the more budget friendly options mentioned in here, that also use Y axis stabilization?

I just saw 1917 and the ability to go from fast moving stable shots to a close-up slowly moving around an actor is the magic that uphold the illusion. Whenever I see that Y-axis wobble on gimbal shots I’m immediately thrown out of such scenes.
    "Using any digital cinema camera today is like sending your 35mm rolls to a standard lab. -Using a Red is like owning a dark room."
    Red Weapon 6K #00600

[QUOTE=Christoffer Glans;1889045]Yes, that’s the crux of it. Are there ANY options that fit the price point of the more budget friendly options mentioned in here, that also use Y axis stabilization?

Perhaps the Tiffen Steadicam Steadimate- S in conjunction with the Ronin S..?

Someone stated that the way to use those gimbals is never to hold them straight up. By leaning the handle you get better stabilization in y.

I used a Helix for a while, before Letus developed the smaller and lighter versions. It's a well designed gimbal, and has better ergonomics than most gimbals. I haven't had a chance to try out the Webill line which looks like it has better ergonomics than most also.
    --------------------------------------------------------
    Rakesh Malik
    Director of Photography, Colorist
    http://WinterLight.studio
    http://www.imdb.me/rakeshmalik

I think gimbals are great. But one should definitely learn how to do hand held too.

Senior Member Christoffer Glans's Avatar
    Here's the answer to the fourth axis problem, which feels neat.

"Using any digital cinema camera today is like sending your 35mm rolls to a standard lab. -Using a Red is like owning a dark room."
    Red Weapon 6K #00600

what do you guys want to know about these gimbals? The plus and minuses? How you rig them?
    I have to try and change the landscape, whatever it is.
    -Robert Plant

Letus Helix Magnesium: I couldn't be happier. It's very organic and I've even used it with my Red Epic-X