Click here to go to the first RED TEAM post in this thread.   Thread: Komodo Dimensional Drawings

Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
  1.   Click here to go to the next RED TEAM post in this thread.
    Quote Originally Posted by Karim D. Ghantous View Post
    To add to Jarred's response, I should point out that Americans will never go full metric. And quite frankly I am glad of it. Even I use feet and inches to describe things now and then. E.g. car length and width is metres, tyres and wheels are inches. CDs are 12cm, but vinyl records are 12", 10" and 7". Etc, etc.

We still measure stages (as in live theatre) and associated things in feet. That's the basic building block. There's no metric equivalent.

Going the other way, I can never relate to focal length if it's described with inches.
    I spend half my day, every day stuck deep in Solidworks designing things.. all in mm but i always "visualize" in inches. I've been in the US for 15 years now and I still have a problem going between mm and inches... but oddly the other way. I come from a Metric country but Inches are just easy for me. If i see 40mm I always convert to inches in my head immediately. Not sure if that is normal.. or if there something is wrong with me. So much so that I actually have a metric/imperial ruler stuck to my keyboard ( it's a sticker ) that is priceless .

Quote Originally Posted by Jarred Land View Post
    I spend half my day, every day stuck deep in Solidworks designing things.. all in mm but i always "visualize" in inches. I've been in the US for 15 years now and I still have a problem going between mm and inches... but oddly the other way. I come from a Metric country but Inches are just easy for me. If i see 40mm I always convert to inches in my head immediately. Not sure if that is normal.. or if there something is wrong with me. So much so that I actually have a metric/imperial ruler stuck to my keyboard ( it's a sticker ) that is priceless .

I relate it to a second language, there are some things that just translate better in another language. Same here, it's somehow inherently easier to visualize something in 3D in inches if you're used to working with imperial and metric, it's like a draft format, then you use metric to nail down exact dimensions for engineering purposes.

Quote Originally Posted by Robert Parkin View Post
    I relate it to a second language, there are some things that just translate better in another language. Same here, it's somehow inherently easier to visualize something in 3D in inches if you're used to working with imperial and metric, it's like a draft format, then you use metric to nail down exact dimensions for engineering purposes.
    An architect friend once outlined for me how imperial scale relates directly to human body dimensions, and is still most useful for things like buildings that deal with human scale measurements. Most adult male human body dimensions are remarkably consistent, but the imperial scale was reportedly taken from King Henry VIII's body dimensions.

1 inch= length of the index finger from tip to first joint. (where the term index finger comes from)
    1 foot = length of King Henry's foot
    1 cubit= 18" or the length of the arm from tip of the middle finger to the elbow
    1 yard = 36" or the length of the arm from tip of middle finger to the shoulder joint.

It's quite subjective in fact. Inches and feet don't mean anything to me. Meters, kilograms, seconds, etc... are way more meaningful :-)

According to me, if a system is powerful enough, it 's not necessary to go back and forth to another system. People thinking in the metric system never compare to the imperial one (maybe Jarred because he's living in the USA. If he was in Europe he wouldn't even bother :-)). Whereas the imperial system isn't sufficient by itself : for instance the lens issue I was talking about previously : distant scales in feet and focal length in mm... And in science (I studied physics), imperial units aren't used at all. Maybe when Newton was alive :-)

Quote Originally Posted by Kristin Stewart View Post
    It's quite subjective in fact. Inches and feet don't mean anything to me. Meters, kilograms, seconds, etc... are way more meaningful :-)

According to me, if a system is powerful enough, it 's not necessary to go back and forth to another system. People thinking in the metric system never compare to the imperial one (maybe Jarred because he's living in the USA. If he was in Europe he wouldn't even bother :-)). Whereas the imperial system isn't sufficient by itself : for instance the lens issue I was talking about previously : distant scales in feet and focal length in mm... And in science (I studied physics), imperial units aren't used at all. Maybe when Newton was alive :-)
    That's my point, imperial doesn't mean anything to you because you don't use both systems. If you ask people who use both systems I think you'll find that lots of people like imperial better for estimations.

Sorry to momentarily hijack this thread, but trying to get in contact with Mark L. Pederson. Mark, I left you a PM a couple of days ago but aren't sure how conspicuous it is or how often you drop by these parts. Let me know if the PM didn't go through for some reason. And if anyone else has a working email for Mark, I wanted to reach out to him for guidance on an issue with my Hotlink. Thanks, and now back to regularly scheduled posting.:-)
    Elizabeth Lowrey
    Triumvirate Filmworks

RED Epic-X #2114

Living in Canada (a metric country) I get drawings in either metric or imperial. Usually engineering drawings are in Metric (mm) and yet i can't buy a single piece of material in Canada that is metric. For example, plywood comes in a 4 foot by 8 foot sheet and is either 3/8", 1/2", or 3/4" thick. When I go to buy a screw at home depot it will be in inches. In fact it is almost difficult to find a metric screw at your regular stores, I have a supplier that I use that specializes in just metric screws. Good luck trying to find metric sizes in metal stock as well, I will have a drawing that specs 6mm steel plate and I will have to ask if 1/4" steel plate will work for the application.

Canada is metric, I learned metric when I went to school and yet everyone one knows their weight in pounds and all of our material is imperial. That being said I totally get what Jarred means when he says he visualizes in inches. I am exactly the same, you can say something is an inch and I will have an idea in my head as to what that dimension is, yet if you told me it was 20mm i'd have no clue.

You should have it laser engraved.

The strange one for me was growing up with a father who was a woodworking in the US and getting involved in the motion picture industry in my teenage years going from imperial to metric back and forth constantly.

At the VFX studio, metric was king.

Seemingly on set anything smaller than 3 feet was metric. More often than not, smaller than 1 foot.

Imperial markings on the lenses of course.

Then there was the disconnect of camera and VFX unit communicating in spatially divided ways.

We should have all gone metric though. This is from an American. But there's something nice about the inch and foot weirdly.
    Phil Holland - Cinematographer - Los Angeles

2X RED Monstro 8K VV Bodies and a lot of things to use with them.

Data Sheets and Notes:
    Red Weapon/DSMC2
    Red Dragon

I'm on the same boat...
    So I set out to make this:

Still in the prototyping phase :D

The idea is to make it scrollable.
    Formerly known as "nutman"
    ||| RED ONE #1333 ||| Epic-X #1003 |||
    ||| RED Hydrogen Houdini #0034 Titanium #1014 |||
    H4Vuser