Thread: RF Adapters for Komodo

Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
  1. #1 RF Adapters for Komodo 
    so the teaser photos over the past few months have pictured quite a few adapters on the komodo. Does this mean they are all currently working? I think the one that we all kind of jumped on was the Canon "drop in" Variable ND filter. Also there have been a few PL mount adapters (metabones / fotodioX / wooden camera) ----- @ Phil Holland , Jarred said you have been testing adapters. Any chance you can give some insight to how things are looking?
    Tim Daust
    Reelmind Studios
    WEAPON HELIUM 8K S35 #6197 "Wicked"
    DSMC2 GEMINI 5K S35 #15175 "Jade"
    @TimDaust @ReelmindStudios

There were some questions in the Komodo mega-thread regarding the metabones RF to EF speedbooster (https://metabones.com/products/details/MB_SPEF-EFR-BT1). It has a 0.71x crop factor, which seems perfect for the 1.42x crop factor Komodo sensor (when calculating from diagonals). If anyone has this adapter and could take a full frame photo with it on to show exactly where it vignettes, it would be most helpful.

While the new Canon RF glass looks fantastic, I also really love the idea of using EF glass and having that extra functionality the adapter provides. Being able to throw in an ND behind any lens, or add a speedbooster to gain a stop when the light is low is really appealing.

At KipperTie we have an RF to PL Revolva close to finalised. Same exact filter cartridges that Revolva uses, solid mounting foot to help support the PL mass.
    KipperTie - Authorised RED Rental, Pinewood Studios, UK
    Ready to hire: Monstro 8K VV | Gemini 5K | Helium Monochrome 8K
    Check out our Revolva ND solution, OLPFs and other products

Quote Originally Posted by John Marchant View Post
    At KipperTie we have an RF to PL Revolva close to finalised. Same exact filter cartridges that Revolva uses, solid mounting foot to help support the PL mass.
    Looking forward to it.

+1

Cheers - #19

I mentioned this in the other thread but I encourage everyone NOT to work under the presumption that Metabones MB_SPEF-EFR-BT1 will work. It's designed for a smaller coverage area than the Komodo sensor and may or may not have coverage to spare (they often don't; preferring to squeeze out every bit of magnification I suppose).

But we could possibly expect a speedbooster by Metabones dedicated to the Komodo? Like we have seen for the pocket 4k. Although the P4K dedicated speedboosters were created because of flange distance, and not sensor size, I assume Metabones would be interested in making one for the Komodo as it would probably sell very well.

Quote Originally Posted by John Marchant View Post
    Whats the price point on this guy going to be?

Quote Originally Posted by Lee Saxon View Post
    I mentioned this in the other thread but I encourage everyone NOT to work under the presumption that Metabones MB_SPEF-EFR-BT1 will work. It's designed for a smaller coverage area than the Komodo sensor and may or may not have coverage to spare (they often don't; preferring to squeeze out every bit of magnification I suppose).
    +1. For more info:

"This new Speed Booster is not intended for still photography, but will work if the camera is configured to APS-C mode."

APS-C has a diagonal of ~27mm. Komodo has a diagonal of 30.56mm.

Quote Originally Posted by Birk R. Groven View Post
    But we could possibly expect a speedbooster by Metabones dedicated to the Komodo? Like we have seen for the pocket 4k. Although the P4K dedicated speedboosters were created because of flange distance, and not sensor size, I assume Metabones would be interested in making one for the Komodo as it would probably sell very well.
    The pocket boosters were for BMD's sensor glass thickness, mostly.

Quote Originally Posted by Mestizo Devon View Post
    Whats the price point on this guy going to be?
    Not set yet- but lower than any of our current revolva mounts.
    KipperTie - Authorised RED Rental, Pinewood Studios, UK
    Ready to hire: Monstro 8K VV | Gemini 5K | Helium Monochrome 8K
    Check out our Revolva ND solution, OLPFs and other products