Click here to go to the first RED TEAM post in this thread.   Thread: KOMODO....

Reply to Thread
Page 435 of 557 FirstFirst ... 335385425431432433434435436437438439445485535 ... LastLast
Results 4,341 to 4,350 of 5565
    CAPTION: "As a matter of fact, this IS the camera you're looking for."

Quote Originally Posted by Gregory Karydis View Post
    Can't wait for that magical moment...!
    And in the meantime we can stay creative and have a good time while we wait! :)

How about "caption this!" eh?

Greg you are wild. Here's my caption.

Jarred - "Hey guys, check out my new --"
    1st AC Stormtroopers - "No! No no!! Cover the sensor!" "You're getting dust in the--"

“It isn’t technically a weapon, but it can shoot Sith K.”
    Ranger Gemini

Quote Originally Posted by James Sielaff View Post
    “It isn’t technically a weapon, but it can shoot Sith K.”
    haha, that was the best
    Farbod Green
    ᚠᚨᚱᛒᛟᛞ ᚷᚱᛟᚾᛊ

-
    Those who tell the stories rule the world.

Instagram

Quote Originally Posted by Alain M View Post
    Hello Phil... I am buying this week 2 to 3 lenses for a more day by day use (Not Film projects).... So I was thinking in the range of $1200 to $2500 each. My top in the head is MILVUS Line but I wanna to hear from you if you had any suggestions about any other brand you think might be good too.

I was also peaking at the new XEEN CF Prime Lenses but no idea what to choose... heheheh

Thanks a lot! :)
    +1 for this recommendation. I'm in the market to make similar purchases.

Quote Originally Posted by Julian Ogans View Post
    I am sure Phil will give us a couple of suggestions well worth it... :)
    Alain Maiki
    Director || Filmmaker
    epicinmotion.com
    alainmaiki.com
    IMDb Alain Maiki
    RED Helium 8K S35
    Hydrogen ONE

Quote Originally Posted by Alain M View Post
    Hello Phil... I am buying this week 2 to 3 lenses for a more day by day use (Not Film projects).... So I was thinking in the range of $1200 to $2500 each. My top in the head is MILVUS Line but I wanna to hear from you if you had any suggestions about any other brand you think might be good too.

I was also peaking at the new XEEN CF Prime Lenses but no idea what to choose... heheheh

Thanks a lot! :)
    Absolutely. I want to open with a moderate statement first.

It's so hard for me to give specific lens purchase advice. I'm not exactly a "this is the best and everything else sucks" sort of DPs. I own too many lenses and have a broader perspective on lenses as tools than that likely biased based mentality. At the same time I can listen to your specific wants and needs, then tackle those questions from there.

For instance, Alain mentions he's looking at the Zeiss Milvus and Xeen CF Primes. That tells me he's focused on something small and lightweight as well as not the super hardcore motion picture workhorse-class of glass. Also this tells me the general price point he's exploring.

What's nice about the Milvus set is they inherited some of the Otus designed mentality on the body design with generally better mechanics than the previous iteration of this series. Additionally there are newer focal lengths, optical revisions, and better coatings than the older stuff too. I actually like the look from the Milvus. They aren't Otus level, but not far off. The maintain more of a modern-classic look. Clean-ish, but not too clean really.

The Xeen CFs are not new in terms of glass. Same glass found in the OG Xeens and Rockinon Cine DS stuff. However, with the somewhat recent absence of the Hanse Innotech Celeres, which were mostly based around this glass and focused on compact lightweight rigs, I feel this is where the Xeen CFs now land. Today they announced the 35mm T1.5 and the 16mm T2.6. And I think they are currently the most affordable/cheapest PL glass out made by a manufacturer and not a cheaper rehouse. That cost comes with some concessions however, but for the price they are not too shabby in terms of value.

Lenses for me start with the look and I think that's something you need to sort of go with. T-Stops and/or F-Stops are a consideration here too as some of these are faster or slower than others.

Don't know if rental is a consideration here, and you would likely go with CP.3s versus the Milvus in that case anyways, but Zeiss is still a very well known and favored brand by many. Xeens are very much an extremely entry level cinema set in my mind.
    Phil Holland - Cinematographer - Los Angeles

2X RED Monstro 8K VV Bodies and a lot of things to use with them.

Data Sheets and Notes:
    Red Weapon/DSMC2
    Red Dragon

Quote Originally Posted by Phil Holland View Post
    Absolutely. I want to open with a moderate statement first.

It's so hard for me to give specific lens purchase advice. I'm not exactly a "this is the best and everything else sucks" sort of DPs. I own too many lenses and have a broader perspective on lenses as tools than that likely biased based mentality. At the same time I can listen to your specific wants and needs, then tackle those questions from there.

For instance, Alain mentions he's looking at the Zeiss Milvus and Xeen CF Primes. That tells me he's focused on something small and lightweight as well as not the super hardcore motion picture workhorse-class of glass. Also this tells me the general price point he's exploring.

What's nice about the Milvus set is they inherited some of the Otus designed mentality on the body design with generally better mechanics than the previous iteration of this series. Additionally there are newer focal lengths, optical revisions, and better coatings than the older stuff too. I actually like the look from the Milvus. They aren't Otus level, but not far off. The maintain more of a modern-classic look. Clean-ish, but not too clean really.

The Xeen CFs are not new in terms of glass. Same glass found in the OG Xeens and Rockinon Cine DS stuff. However, with the somewhat recent absence of the Hanse Innotech Celeres, which were mostly based around this glass and focused on compact lightweight rigs, I feel this is where the Xeen CFs now land. Today they announced the 35mm T1.5 and the 16mm T2.6. And I think they are currently the most affordable/cheapest PL glass out made by a manufacturer and not a cheaper rehouse. That cost comes with some concessions however, but for the price they are not too shabby in terms of value.

Lenses for me start with the look and I think that's something you need to sort of go with. T-Stops and/or F-Stops are a consideration here too as some of these are faster or slower than others.

Don't know if rental is a consideration here, and you would likely go with CP.3s versus the Milvus in that case anyways, but Zeiss is still a very well known and favored brand by many. Xeens are very much an extremely entry level cinema set in my mind.
    Thanks for the response, Phil. What about the Milvus in relation to the CP.2 or possibly expanding the budget to the Sigma's FF High Speed Prime Lenses? I'm particularly interested in the 35mm and 50mm focal lengths.

Regards,
    Julian

Thanks for the response, Phil. What about the Milvus in relation to the CP.2 or possibly expanding the budget to the Sigma's FF High Speed Prime Lenses? I'm particularly interested in the 35mm and 50mm focal lengths.
    Much like the Sigma Art Primes versus the Sigma Cine Primes, the Milvus primes are more or less what's in the Zeiss CP.3s. They are different and newer than the CP.2s, which are more or less based on the older ZF/ZE glass. But in the world of Milvus you have access to the higher speed primes, and I don't know if Zeiss will do a high speed CP.3 set. The high speed Milvus glass if I recall correctly are all new/newer designs compared to the ZF/ZE. Need to double check my notes on the 85mm, but pretty sure that's the case. But the 25, 35, and 50mm are 100% new.

I will say what's really nice about the Milvus line-up is Zeiss hardcore listened and added the de-click feature on the Nikon mount stuff. Canon uses the electronic iris, but also has the advantage of focusing the right direction.

The Sigma glass is more or less one not down from Otus quality or bloody close to it. I mentioned earlier the 40mm in particular is more or less Sigma's prestige lens, much like Zeiss' 55mm f/1.4 Otus. The Sigma Cine version obviously is more ideal for motion picture application with the mechanics and build quality. I actually only have my Sigma Cine set now and a couple in EF still.

The bigger step up in price and weight is really the Tokinas from there as well as few other nice features, but they are notably heavier and larger. The Vista Ones in particular are more or less what I would consider Master Primes for VistaVision.
    Phil Holland - Cinematographer - Los Angeles

2X RED Monstro 8K VV Bodies and a lot of things to use with them.

Data Sheets and Notes:
    Red Weapon/DSMC2
    Red Dragon

Sometimes it's so hard to appreciate how feature-packed the Red Komodo is at this price point. I had to compare it to the Canon 1D X Mark III but there's no comparison, really: Can the Canon 1DX Mark III go toe to toe with the Red Komodo as a serious filmmaking camera?
    Sareesh | wolfcrow.com