Click here to go to the first RED TEAM post in this thread.   Thread: KOMODO....

Reply to Thread
Page 407 of 516 FirstFirst ... 307357397403404405406407408409410411417457507 ... LastLast
Results 4,061 to 4,070 of 5159
  1. #4061  
    Senior Member Brian Boyer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    934
    I could be wrong but brace yourselves for a $6,499 - $6,999 regular Komodo.
    Cutting out soft shadows in Photoshop tutorial
    YouTube | Vimeo

    www.harbonder.com


    Strand on Soundcloud
    Reply With Quote  
     

  2. #4062  
    Senior Member Ty Maier's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Location
    Miami, FL
    Posts
    150
    Quote Originally Posted by Brian Boyer View Post
    I could be wrong but brace yourselves for a $6,499 - $6,999 regular Komodo.
    Yeah I was thinking in the neighborhood of $6,499.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  3. #4063  
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2019
    Location
    Melbourne, Australia
    Posts
    34
    Yeah agree, I think it’s going to be 7 grand (usd) for a basic Komodo unfortunately.

    Not to bad but it does make you start to ponder the other options at that price. Especially if dynamic range actually isn’t as great as initially thought. just have to wait and see some longer duration footage before we can Judge that. That Super Bowl TVC didn’t really tell us anything more than its small,nimble and can shoot a shot at least 1.5 seconds in length.

    Still it’s a competitive price if you already have all the bits and pieces to go with it like cfast, batteries. Sdi Monitor. which a lot of people stepping up to this camera will have. so I think around $7000usd will be the price they go with considering the hype on the camera now.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  4. #4064  
    Senior Member Aaron Lochert's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Location
    Tucson, AZ
    Posts
    1,109
    Quote Originally Posted by Brian Boyer View Post
    I could be wrong but brace yourselves for a $6,499 - $6,999 regular Komodo.
    It was said that Hydrogen owners would get $1k discount. It was also said that Komodo was not under $5K unless you own a Hydrogen.

    So unless that information is outdated, it leads me to believe it'll be $4950 for Hydrogen owners and $5950 for non-Hydrogen owners. Those seem like very RED numbers to me.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  5. #4065  
    Quote Originally Posted by Aaron Lochert View Post
    It was said that Hydrogen owners would get $1k discount. It was also said that Komodo was not under $5K unless you own a Hydrogen.

    So unless that information is outdated, it leads me to believe it'll be $4950 for Hydrogen owners and $5950 for non-Hydrogen owners. Those seem like very RED numbers to me.
    That would be amazing and I know a lot of people would be extremely excited!

    I'm not suggesting that this information is outdated in any way, but we should consider that the above statements were made prior to the situation with the COVID-19 and its worldwide effect on manufacturing parts and availability...
    It would be sensible to adjust our expectations based on this more recent information.

    To some, the Stormtrooper priced around 7-8K is reasonable and I include myself here, but that's solely up to each one's budgeting.
    Formerly known as "nutman"
    ||| RED ONE #1333 ||| Epic-X #1003 |||
    ||| RED Hydrogen Houdini #0034 Titanium #1014 |||
    H4Vuser
    Reply With Quote  
     

  6. #4066  
    Senior Member Bob Gundu's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Toronto, ON Canada
    Posts
    10,083
    Quote Originally Posted by Aaron Lochert View Post
    It was said that Hydrogen owners would get $1k discount. It was also said that Komodo was not under $5K unless you own a Hydrogen.

    So unless that information is outdated, it leads me to believe it'll be $4950 for Hydrogen owners and $5950 for non-Hydrogen owners. Those seem like very RED numbers to me.
    I feel Komodo has matured since the announcement which may affect price as well.
    ___________________________

    VFX, Cinematographer, Photographer
    10 frame handles
    Vimeo
    Instagram
    Reply With Quote  
     

  7. #4067  
    Good morning fellow Red users,

    Owner of Red hydrogen #H1T000871, would like to use discount for KOMODO but have No experince with cinema cameras.Could some of you throw out some ideas of what I might need, and ball park cost to set up a functalional system. I'm going to need everything if I do this, so some info on what glass I might what to have,doesn't have to be top of the line, but would like to get the most out of it.

    Strictly for personal use with high quallity images.Hope I get some good infomation to be able to make the best choice,since I'm almost 70 years old won't have a lot of time too apply a long learning curve.

    Thanks for any response.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  8. #4068  
    Hi Robert,

    Assuming RED doesn't offer a basic kit (monitor, power, storage), you cannot go wrong with some of these basics:

    An SDI external display
    Go for a 7" daylight viewable to make your life easier ~ 500$
    https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produ...a_monitor.html

    Power for the external Monitor 120$
    https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produ...4_battery.html



    A pair of "Medium-sized" batteries ~300$
    https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produ...ts=pi-ps&pim=Y

    OR

    A pair of large ones ~ 410$
    https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produ...ts=pi-ps&pim=Y

    And don't forget their charger! - Works for either the small or large ones.
    Dual Charger for the Komodo Batteries 80$
    https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produ...arger_for.html

    And now for the expensive stuff...
    Lenses!
    You can either go native with the RF mount options:
    https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/searc...f&N=4196380428
    Starting at ~400$
    For an easy 24-105mm with autofocus https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produ..._4_7_1_is.html
    OR you can go nuts and spend a few thousand on whatever you like for a few grand. Manual or AF

    OR
    You can go for an EF-RF adapter ~50$ - 400$
    And then use any Canon Full Frame EF mount lens
    https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/searc...&N=4077634486&

    Alternatively, if you own lenses from any other camera system, see if there's a lens mount adapter for RF.
    There are quite a lot of options to choose from, but try to get something that allows for AF control
    https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/searc...f&N=4077634486


    Long story short, you are looking at ~430$ if you plan on using the built-in monitor, a pair of the smallest batteries, a charger and an EF-RF adapter for your own lenses (if you have any)
    Otherwise, it's at least 1000$ for decent external 7" display and camera power.

    Then either upwards of 400$ for an RF lens, or upwards of 50$ for an adapter and alternative lens mount options.

    If you don't have any lenses of any kind, better get something between 24-35mm as a general purpose fixed focal length lens and work your way up from there.

    If you want to go long with your Zoom lenses, take a look at the stabilised lenses with IS or OS marking as you will probably need it if you are shooting hand-held. ;)

    I hope this helps give you an idea.
    Formerly known as "nutman"
    ||| RED ONE #1333 ||| Epic-X #1003 |||
    ||| RED Hydrogen Houdini #0034 Titanium #1014 |||
    H4Vuser
    Reply With Quote  
     

  9.   Click here to go to the next RED TEAM post in this thread.
  #4069  
    Fire Chief Jarred Land's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Posts
    10,593
    Quote Originally Posted by Gregory Karydis View Post
    Hi Robert,

    Assuming RED doesn't offer a basic kit (monitor, power, storage), you cannot go wrong with some of these basics:

    An SDI external display
    Go for a 7" daylight viewable to make your life easier ~ 500$
    https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produ...a_monitor.html

    Power for the external Monitor 120$
    https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produ...4_battery.html



    A pair of "Medium-sized" batteries ~300$
    https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produ...ts=pi-ps&pim=Y

    OR

    A pair of large ones ~ 410$
    https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produ...ts=pi-ps&pim=Y

    And don't forget their charger! - Works for either the small or large ones.
    Dual Charger for the Komodo Batteries 80$
    https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produ...arger_for.html

    And now for the expensive stuff...
    Lenses!
    You can either go native with the RF mount options:
    https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/searc...f&N=4196380428
    Starting at ~400$
    For an easy 24-105mm with autofocus https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produ..._4_7_1_is.html
    OR you can go nuts and spend a few thousand on whatever you like for a few grand. Manual or AF

    OR
    You can go for an EF-RF adapter ~50$ - 400$
    And then use any Canon Full Frame EF mount lens
    https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/searc...&N=4077634486&

    Alternatively, if you own lenses from any other camera system, see if there's a lens mount adapter for RF.
    There are quite a lot of options to choose from, but try to get something that allows for AF control
    https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/searc...f&N=4077634486


    Long story short, you are looking at ~430$ if you plan on using the built-in monitor, a pair of the smallest batteries, a charger and an EF-RF adapter for your own lenses (if you have any)
    Otherwise, it's at least 1000$ for decent external 7" display and camera power.

    Then either upwards of 400$ for an RF lens, or upwards of 50$ for an adapter and alternative lens mount options.

    If you don't have any lenses of any kind, better get something between 24-35mm as a general purpose fixed focal length lens and work your way up from there.

    If you want to go long with your Zoom lenses, take a look at the stabilised lenses with IS or OS marking as you will probably need it if you are shooting hand-held. ;)

    I hope this helps give you an idea.
    Nice list Gregory.

    One note about chargers. The watson ones are great but if you get the kind which the plates interchange, glue those plates down cause ( at least for me ) those damn plates slide out almost every time you take the battery out.

    I think I bought every charger on that page you point to.. and my favorite charger by far for the BP batteries right now is the Dolgin Tc400... It is insanely expensive but it's a workhorse built like a tank and does an awesome job charging them up.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  10. #4070  
    I don’t think RED is going to have any problems selling Komodo’s at any of the price points speculated. I mean, I’ve never really seriously considered buying a RED, but this one has my attention. Their problem will be meeting the demand. But, I think psychology the price point of $5999 is the max sweet spot. At that price I think people that may be on-the-fence would go ahead and buy one just because it feels like such a low price. Once you start hitting that $7K($6999) line, it feels like you’re crossing a threshold and spending “real” money.

    I have at least three cameras sitting in my office right now that listed for at least $40K or more each, and at a max price of $5999, I’m prepared to buy a Komodo without ever laying my hands on one, BUT if it’s $6999, I’m pumping the brakes and going more into evaluation mode. Do I really need this? Is it going to bring in more work or attract new clients? Is it going to do anything or something that much better than one of my current cameras? Would I be better served by spending that money on something else? Or not spending it at all? Etc...

    Obviously, there are way more real factors to pricing it out than just what a bunch of guys on the Internet want, but the market has become very competitive over the last few years and way more sensitive, especially in this price range. And now factor in the effects of the corona virus/corvid-19 on the global supply and manufacturing chain and it’s kind of a ‘perfect storm’ that can rain, at least a little, on almost any company’s parade right now.
    Reply With Quote  
     

Posting Permissions
  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts