Click here to go to the first RED TEAM post in this thread.   Thread: KOMODO....

Reply to Thread
Page 395 of 454 FirstFirst ... 295345385391392393394395396397398399405445 ... LastLast
Results 3,941 to 3,950 of 4537
    Quote Originally Posted by Christoffer Glans View Post
    True, mixed them up, but still, 6K LF is not to mess with.
    I only wish the Komodo was LF. This is a very important feature for me (as I am a stills shooter and know the format very well) and so is the vari-nd, and you cant have both with the Komodo/ speedbooster.
    I will end up probably end up purchasing either the Mavo LF or Z-cam F6 not because they are perfect cameras (they definitely aren't) , but because they are the only LF options in this price range.

Paul
    Last edited by paul ross jones; 02-14-2020 at 01:51 PM.

For me Recode workflow, Red color science and image quality, and especially GLOBAL SHUTTER with Komodo outweigh the features of any of the competition in this price range currently.

Senior Member Karim D. Ghantous's Avatar
    Unlike almost everyone here, I want the smallest sensor I can get that delivers pro level image quality. Right now Micro 4/3 is the biggest sensor I want to use going forward.

That doesn't mean I won't use bigger sensors, but right now, you can't go smaller than Micro 4/3 and get image quality that I would be happy with. Eventually? Maybe. I want a Sony RX100 that give me S35 image quality. It won't happen tomorrow but it might happen - or, indeed, it may never happen.
    Good production values may not be noticed. Bad production values will be.
    Pinterest
    | Flickr | Instagram | Martini Ultra (blog)

Quote Originally Posted by Karim D. Ghantous View Post
    Unlike almost everyone here, I want the smallest sensor I can get that delivers pro level image quality. Right now Micro 4/3 is the biggest sensor I want to use going forward.

That doesn't mean I won't use bigger sensors, but right now, you can't go smaller than Micro 4/3 and get image quality that I would be happy with. Eventually? Maybe. I want a Sony RX100 that give me S35 image quality. It won't happen tomorrow but it might happen - or, indeed, it may never happen.
    That is indeed surprising to here from you Karim, considering your love for Leica too.

I'm a format fanatic and mainly my world has always been:
    - S35
    - VV
    - 15-perf 70mm
    - 5-perf 65mm
    - S16

More or less quantity in that order, though with the RED VV format that's probably taken the fair lead these days.

All formats have a place really and yes they do have an impact as well as their own strengths and weaknesses. Despite much of what has been written to the contrary for whatever reason.

I personally don't like much smaller than S35, but S16 really works for so many applications. MFT sort of in that middle ground.

I personally would like to see some sort of S16 4K/4K+ solution. Back when I was a Helium owner I did explore 4K and 3.5K w/ some S16 glass briefly and that held some interesting potential, similarly with Monstro and Dragon at 2K and 2.5K (lens image circle works).

That had a nice feeling about it, but nothing in my world gets delivered under 4K for many years now, so there's that.

Looking at a couple cameras on the horizon however, I think there might be a moderate resurgence in S16 coming around the bend.
    Phil Holland - Cinematographer - Los Angeles

2X RED Monstro 8K VV Bodies and a lot of things to use with them.

Data Sheets and Notes:
    Red Weapon/DSMC2
    Red Dragon

Phil, I've been thinking of shooting my helium with some s16 or 16mm glass. Any particular lenses I should consider?

Quote Originally Posted by Samir Patel View Post
    Phil, I've been thinking of shooting my helium with some s16 or 16mm glass. Any particular lenses I should consider?
    Seconding this. Having owned Helium for 3 years now this is still something I've never explored.

Quote Originally Posted by Samir Patel View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Aaron Lochert View Post
    Seconding this. Having owned Helium for 3 years now this is still something I've never explored.
    Heh. One day I should write a book on glass. In this case I would aim at films you've enjoyed that were shot on Super 16mm.

I have my favorites and there's occasionally a hell of a deal on stuff like Arri Ultra 16 primes, which if another set pops up I might grab. The look they got off of 28 Weeks Later always stuck with me and the prints really looked great.

Highly underrated optics in the Illuminas as well, though mechanics could be better.

My real reason for not investing much in S16 glass really has to do with no 4K solutions, though Helium presents the most potential currently for this. I'd shoot it a bit more like film, lower ISO, a bit more careful overall. I'm sure I have the test footage I shot back then somewhere, but I was working at ISO 250-500 a bunch.
    Phil Holland - Cinematographer - Los Angeles

2X RED Monstro 8K VV Bodies and a lot of things to use with them.

Data Sheets and Notes:
    Red Weapon/DSMC2
    Red Dragon

8.   Click here to go to the next RED TEAM post in this thread.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark L. Pederson View Post
    The "least" way .... is just a cable from EXT port (appears to be a 9 pin 0B lemo) to whatever connection you need - rs232 (RCP) or GPI trigger. Most likely a $90-$125ish cable depending on quality. I would suspect Jarred will post the EXT pinout in 3 ... 2 ...
    Here ya go...

http://www.reduser.net/forum/showthr...gram&p=1890079

Quote Originally Posted by David Rasberry View Post
    For me Recode workflow, Red color science and image quality, and especially GLOBAL SHUTTER with Komodo outweigh the features of any of the competition in this price range currently.

interesting that you are talking about the quality of the image that no one has seen yet :) Mavo LF have very good image quality, it's FF, have nice color science and incredible ISO performance, and resolution up to 60163984. Moreover you have exchangeable lens mounts and you can record your footage directly on 2,5'' SSD. The weaknesses of Mavo LF is dynamic range and rolling shutter.

When it comes to Komodo, I'm curious about two very important things: price and dynamic range. If komodo have clearly better DR than cameras such as Mavo LF, Ursa Mini Pro or Canon C200 then I think it well be real RED camera, if not... it will be only a mid-range camera with a lot of competition.

Quote Originally Posted by Tomasz Nizielski View Post
    interesting that you are talking about the quality of the image that no one has seen yet :) Mavo LF have very good image quality, it's FF, have nice color science and incredible ISO performance, and resolution up to 60163984. Moreover you have exchangeable lens mounts and you can record your footage directly on 2,5'' SSD. The weaknesses of Mavo LF is dynamic range and rolling shutter.

When it comes to Komodo, I'm curious about two very important things: price and dynamic range. If komodo have clearly better DR than cameras such as Mavo LF, Ursa Mini Pro or Canon C200 then I think it well be real RED camera, if not... it will be only a mid-range camera with a lot of competition.
    It has been hinted by Jarred that Komodo will have DR close to the DR of Helium. And that there's virtually no loss in DR when you go from rolling shutter mode to global shutter mode to the point that they were thinking of NOT putting the rolling shutter mode.
    VIDEO EDITING - COLOR GRADING - VFX
    APPLE FINAL CUT PRO, AVID MEDIA COMPOSER
    ADOBE CREATIVE CLOUD, DAVINCI RESOLVE, REDCINE X PRO...