Click here to go to the first RED TEAM post in this thread.   Thread: KOMODO....

Reply to Thread
Page 337 of 508 FirstFirst ... 237287327333334335336337338339340341347387437 ... LastLast
Results 3,361 to 3,370 of 5077
    Quote Originally Posted by Jarred Land View Post
    I think if you fast forward a few years there will be the most amount of 3rd party lenses outside Canon offered in an RF mount, just like right now there are more EF lenses then any other. Sony did a really really great job with the a7 cameras, they deserve some sort of award for pushing the entire dslr market forward , and I bought everything they released. The GM lenses sony makes for that system is fantastic. But since the release of the R / RF system I haven't picked up the a7/a9 once... and the new RF glass is outstanding. I don't need to tell you how much I am in love with it.. I released the first cinema camera with an RF mount... before even Canon.

But the problem with the RF mount is that its owned by a camera company and Nikon will never use it, nor will Sony nor will Panasoinc on their little mirrorless cameras. I like to think we knocked down some of those walls when we introduced the changeable lens mount into the cinema world.... now almost every cinema camera company offers a canon mount for their cameras. That was awesome in one way but in another for the customer it made things a bit more difficult... we actually kinda fucked things up. Before we did the whole removable mount thing you could ONLY buy cinema glass in a PL mount. Now you need to buy a couple different lens mounts as well as making a decision on which mount to buy your lenses in. It would just be EASIER if we all reverted to just one mount... and every camera and lens company followed.

But for that one lens mount to work , you need to make sure its better than everything else that it is trying to replace... and there can't be any politics.
    What you and your team did with the interchangeable mounts was one of the biggest step forwards in the digital independent cinema production. It opened a lot of creative options as well as brought PL prices down and the interest of still lenses developers and manufacturers to look at EF and other mounts lenses developments with cinematic and motion characteristics.

DSMC3 hopefully keeps this trend, opening up full capabilities for the major lenses brands!
    Sérgio Perez

Weapon Monstro #03294 "Amochai" in Macau

Video Director/Creative/Producer

http://vimeo.com/user1503556

https://www.youtube.com/user/spzprod..._as=subscriber

AF pixels on sensors and the software in cameras are getting so good that there will be a day that 1st AC's are just touching eyeballs on an ipad to pull focus and all cinema lenses will have motors built into them. That day wont happen for a while.. but it probably should of happened already. We just all need to get out of our own way.
    have you seen any Cinema Lenses with internal motors in prototype?

I talked to a rep at Zeiss about building a Cinema Lens with Internal Motors and he did even know about RT motion or FoolControl being able to use the internal autofocus motors that photographers use... his response was, "how would you change out a bad motor on a shoot?", (which is a good point), my response was that motor inside a weather sealed lens and being built for the lens, might have a longer lifetime than an external lens motor?

are there any improvements to peaking that Red plans to implement?
    I have to try and change the landscape, whatever it is.
    -Robert Plant

Quote Originally Posted by Jeffery Anderson View Post
    2+ years ago:

https://www.panavision.com/products/primo-x

And more coming from other worlds.

Older than that, we've seen obviously older zooms with motor brackets on the lenses themselves a long, long while back on things like Angies and whatever.

Some of the bigger companies are looking at this harder right now. Hard nut to crack properly.
    Phil Holland - Cinematographer - Los Angeles

2X RED Monstro 8K VV Bodies and a lot of things to use with them.

Data Sheets and Notes:
    Red Weapon/DSMC2
    Red Dragon

4.   Click here to go to the next RED TEAM post in this thread.

I talked to a rep at Zeiss about building a Cinema Lens with Internal Motors and he did even know about RT motion or FoolControl being able to use the internal autofocus motors that photographers use... his response was, "how would you change out a bad motor on a shoot?", (which is a good point), my response was that motor inside a weather sealed lens and being built for the lens, might have a longer lifetime than an external lens motor?

Well... I started making a set of cinema lenses with motors in them about 6 or 7 years ago. And then the CEO of Panavision came by for a visit with the prototype new Primos.. which had motors in them.

And so I stopped. Because they were the right ones to introduce something like that to the AC's .

And then Panavision finished the lenses and they didn't really tell anyone about the motors for the first while... I guess you could call it a bit of a trojan horse, again.. there are some politics to that, but when when we started talking about me making them the DXL, The motorized lens integration was one ( of my only ) asks.

And then abracadabra... the Panavision Primo Artiste with internal motors are released. And they are incredibly awesome.

If I should ever find myself doubting the money I spend on Red over the years, I need only think of it as going to support our market lobbyist so he can continue to push our agenda into the realm of results.

And I get a few amazing cameras and modules thrown in as perks!

Well... I started making a set of cinema lenses with motors in them about 6 or 7 years ago. And then the CEO of Panavision came by for a visit with the prototype new Primos.. which had motors in them.

And so I stopped. Because they were the right ones to introduce something like that to the AC's .

And then Panavision finished the lenses and they didn't really tell anyone about the motors for the first while... I guess you could call it a bit of a trojan horse, again.. there are some politics to that, but when when we started talking about me making them the DXL, The motorized lens integration was one ( of my only ) asks.

And then abracadabra... the Panavision Primo Artiste with internal motors are released. And they are incredibly awesome.

Slightly off topic but kudos about the DXL by the way.
    It IS (to me) an ultra huge mega big deal to see that a company "as new as" RED made that camera for a company "as old* as" Panavision. What a testament to RED awesome team and knowledge.

*old is here used to mean it is an historical company.
    VIDEO EDITING - COLOR GRADING - VFX
    APPLE FINAL CUT PRO, AVID MEDIA COMPOSER
    ADOBE CREATIVE CLOUD, DAVINCI RESOLVE, REDCINE X PRO...

Rumor roundup by proav

8.   Click here to go to the next RED TEAM post in this thread.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bart Oerbekke View Post
    Rumor roundup by proav
    Well that was awesome. Well done.

Quote Originally Posted by Phil Holland View Post
    2+ years ago:

https://www.panavision.com/products/primo-x

And more coming from other worlds.

Older than that, we've seen obviously older zooms with motor brackets on the lenses themselves a long, long while back on things like Angies and whatever.

Some of the bigger companies are looking at this harder right now. Hard nut to crack properly.
    And let’s not forget ENG lenses. While the servos are technically housed outside in the lens grip, the grip is essentially permanently mounted in place and with regular service, the servos perform for years under extremely demanding and harsh conditions. My oldest, continuously used ENG lens is at least 15 years old and while it’s serviced regularly(used to be yearly) it’s only been in once for a servo specific problem.

10.   Click here to go to the next RED TEAM post in this thread.
    Quote Originally Posted by Christopher A. Bell View Post
    And let’s not forget ENG lenses. While the servos are technically housed outside in the lens grip, the grip is essentially permanently mounted in place and with regular service, the servos perform for years under extremely demanding and harsh conditions. My oldest, continuously used ENG lens is at least 15 years old and while it’s serviced regularly(used to be yearly) it’s only been in once for a servo specific problem.
    And to take that one step further... let us not forgot that A LOT of cinema lenses, specially the lower priced ones , start as still lenses with motors in them that they just take the motors out of and put gears on with some new mechanicals. We did the same thing with our awesome little 18-50mm and 50-150mm back in the day. The mechanical part of making a still lens into a cinema lens isn't trivial.. its a lot of work, a lot of design and it is expensive to do... and requires one by one alignment with the manual focus marks for accuracy... which we really don't need anymore when the lenses are smart.