Click here to go to the first RED TEAM post in this thread.   Thread: KOMODO....

Reply to Thread
Page 631 of 668 FirstFirst ... 131531581621627628629630631632633634635641 ... LastLast
Results 6,301 to 6,310 of 6679
    Patrick,

I believe I remember something along those lines as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick Tresch View Post
    Perhaps Komodo is a real native 800 iso camera whereas Monstro is 1600.
    On an early color science Test (from Luigi), I. ’ve seen Komodo having 1.2 stops less DR in the shadows than Monstro.
    All Base ISO is is a recommended "box speed" for every digital cinema camera on the market.

And yes, a real fun thing to do is rate Monstro with the Standard OLPF around 1280 or 1600 and go from there.
    Phil Holland - Cinematographer - Los Angeles

2X RED Monstro 8K VV Bodies, 1X RED Komodo, and a lot of things to use with them.

Data Sheets and Notes:
    Red Weapon/DSMC2
    Red Dragon

Quote Originally Posted by Phil Holland View Post
    You should give Monstro a whirl.
    that sensor also produces some good images. I think you already compared it with the Alexa LF? Looked pretty comparable with the LF having a slightly better out of camera look.

I got to see some R3D from the Monstro, and must say it is like a Gemini, but almost twice the resolution, which has some benefits in final output. Really rich negatives, insane amounts of detail. A little looney goose on the RS, but no real complaints for most things.

But if the Komodo is beating the Alexa by that much in the comparison that Rand posted, then the Komodo is better than the Monstro.
    Ranger Gemini

Quote Originally Posted by James Sielaff View Post
    then the Komodo is better than the Monstro.
    Monstro would see into the shadow box due to having about a full + stop more of DR. And is cleaner. I've tested and am grotesquely familiar with all of these.

But yes, the case in point is Komodo is a beast. This test answers "is Komodo an A cam" sort of questions though. It certainly can be no questions asked really.
    Phil Holland - Cinematographer - Los Angeles

2X RED Monstro 8K VV Bodies, 1X RED Komodo, and a lot of things to use with them.

Data Sheets and Notes:
    Red Weapon/DSMC2
    Red Dragon

Quote Originally Posted by Phil Holland View Post
    Monstro would see into the shadow box due to having about a full + stop more of DR. And is cleaner. I've tested and am grotesquely familiar with all of these.

But yes, the case in point is Komodo is a beast. This test answers "is Komodo an A cam" sort of questions though. It certainly can be no questions asked really.
    But also that in this particular test that the Komodo beats the Alexa better than the Monstro does in your comparison between the Monstro and AlevIII test.

Also, in Timmy's test, the Komodo also beats The Gemini in low light

Basically that means, the Komodo is the best cinema sensor to ever exist.

not to mention it is also global shutter.
    Ranger Gemini

Quote Originally Posted by James Sielaff View Post
    But also that in this particular test that the Komodo beats the Alexa better than the Monstro does in your comparison between the Monstro and AlevIII test.

Also, in Timmy's test, the Komodo also beats The Gemini in low light

Basically that means, the Komodo is the best cinema sensor to ever exist.

not to mention it is also global shutter.
    I would be carfully to judge cameras from watching other peoples test. Sure it says something but do your own testing they all got different properties. And yes also people tend to compare with colorscience involved and judge by how they like the look of things...

Straight out of camera look, there is no such, not for Alexa and not for red. Sure you can record an image and view it but then its already gone trough quite a bit of processing with taste involved. Cameras that shoot raw does so for a reason and that is to leave things open for taste and adjustments.

For example:

Take a monstro capture:

Pipe it trough trough a line of none destructive conversions: IPP2 to Linear, Linear to Logc, Arri logC to rec709... Now your monstro image all of a sudden looks very much Alexa like.

Take a Alexa capture: Pipe it trough a line of none destructive conversions: LogC to Linear, Linear to IPP2, IPP2 to rec 709... Now your Alexa image all of a sudden looks very much Monstro like.

Now if you colormatch match the two in linear space and use the same transformation going from linear to rec 709 for both... then you need to really dive down in between the pixels to tell the difference between the two. I done this a lot and to my findings Monstro have delivered a cleaner image at the same mastering resolution every time I done so.

I have not been pixel peeping as much on Komodo but from the little I have seen, it does not have as wide of a DR and those extra 2k of resolution that Monstro strut makes difference, no matter what mastering resolution, they shine / give less noise etc.

But also, If shooting conditions is good and things done right. Then LF, Monstro and a lot of cameras has quite a bit of overload of resolution. I can shoot monstro 6k and mix it with 8k and when looking at the clips in the final edit in UHD its really difficult to tell them apart. The difference in resolution then drowns in other things as how perfect focus was pulled etc.

Same with komodo I see no problem using it side by side with monstro, just as we done with dragons, heliums and Gemini´s. But if there is a shot were picture quality really will be at test, like difficult green screen work, high resolution stills or what ever work where the image will go trough a lot of further treatment in post I see monstro as best option. But sure, komodo will be first choice of some of those setups as well as it has it's global shutter which sets it in a category of its own, action scenes with lot of CG I would opt for komodo for sure.
    Björn Benckert
    Creative Lead & Founder Syndicate Entertainment AB
    +46855524900 www.syndicate.se/axis
    VFX / Flame / Motion capture / Monstro

+1 All the above!

Point Lobos | RED Komodo

By Jason Cayabyab

Lens: Sigma Art 18-35mm 1.8 & Sigma Art 24-70 2.8

Gruissan Plage

By benjamin ziegler

Shoot on RED Komodo & Sigma Art 18/35.

[상업] South Korean cultural assets doc. _ RED Komodo 6K footage

By CGman dude

Singapore Airport with Laowa 12mm // RED Komodo Journey 005

By REDUSER MEMBER PETER CHOI

Laowa 12mm EF lens, with a couple parts on the Leica R 35 and 90. R3D LQ

Salehe Bembury x New Balance 2002R Campaign

By
    Salehe Bembury

Red Komodo
    Last edited by rand thompson; 10-18-2020 at 01:49 PM.

Any serious information about how the latency is when using the wifi for monitoring?