Click here to go to the first RED TEAM post in this thread.   Thread: KOMODO....

Reply to Thread
Page 628 of 669 FirstFirst ... 128528578618624625626627628629630631632638 ... LastLast
Results 6,271 to 6,280 of 6685
    Quote Originally Posted by Brian Roberts View Post
    Yeah that's pretty much where I'm at also. I do have several EF lenses that I quite like, but RF glass looks to be overall the best newer glass you can buy before getting into much pricier cine offerings and even then the RF stuff holds it's own.

If RED is having trouble implementing RF protocol it isn't a deal breaker for me, but I do think it would be proper to disclose that to the customers who have ordered Komodo with the understanding that RF will be supported. Just having some dude on a video stress that it is now an RF "style" mount before continuing on with unclear information about which information gets passed to which adapted whatever isn't helpful.
    Well, in fairness, they have discussed that on a few of the video guides about the Komodo on their YouTube channels... As well as on the official specs sheet here : https://www.red.com/komodo
    Accepts Canon RF mount-based lens adaptors for diverse lens choices
    Supports Canon EF with full electronic communication via compatible Canon RF mount adapters, and supports mechanically operated RF lenses (electronic control of Canon RF lenses not supported at this time)
    VIDEO EDITING - COLOR GRADING - VFX
    APPLE FINAL CUT PRO, AVID MEDIA COMPOSER
    ADOBE CREATIVE CLOUD, DAVINCI RESOLVE, REDCINE X PRO...

Senior Member Christoffer Glans's Avatar
    Am I missing something here? Will the RF mount never be supported for native RF lenses? Is this a Canon thing locking Red out of implementing control through RF? If that is the case, that is terrible for Komodo. RF lenses have vastly improved AF motors and optical quality. I was aiming for getting the 15-35mm RF lens for the purpose of specifically use it with the new AF system on the new Ronin gimbal.

But as far as I can see, it's listed as "not supported at this time", so surely it should be possible? I mean, they've been clear to point out that they are adding EF lenses first to the support list, which makes sense to do first. If the idea is to solve RF support half a year from now, I don't see a problem really, just use EF glass until then.
    "Using any digital cinema camera today is like sending your 35mm rolls to a standard lab. -Using a Red is like owning a dark room."
    Red Weapon 6K #00600 Red Komodo #002397

Quote Originally Posted by Christoffer Glans View Post
    Am I missing something here? Will the RF mount never be supported for native RF lenses? Is this a Canon thing locking Red out of implementing control through RF? If that is the case, that is terrible for Komodo. RF lenses have vastly improved AF motors and optical quality. I was aiming for getting the 15-35mm RF lens for the purpose of specifically use it with the new AF system on the new Ronin gimbal.

But as far as I can see, it's listed as "not supported at this time", so surely it should be possible? I mean, they've been clear to point out that they are adding EF lenses first to the support list, which makes sense to do first. If the idea is to solve RF support half a year from now, I don't see a problem really, just use EF glass until then.
    I think you answered your own question here ;-)
    I'm pretty sure Jarred said somewhere that RF electronic support will come later. ;-)
    (and since most people owning Canon compatible glass have them in EF mount, as you pointed out it makes more sense if they have to focus on one at a time, to choose EF first)

Quote Originally Posted by Roland Fleming View Post
    Hi, anyone using the Komodo with Teradek RT to control focus on EF non-cine glass without mounting external motors?

For example does this work?

Teradek RT thumbwheel -> Latitude -> CTRL input port on Komodo

Thanks
    For those interested: I contacted Teradek directly and they say they are actively working on getting products to interface with the CTRL input on Komodo, but it doesn't work yet (other than start/stop directly into the EXT port).

There must be some advantages to the change in RCP. Does anyone know what these are?

Quote Originally Posted by Bastien Tribalat View Post
    I'm pretty sure Jarred said somewhere that RF electronic support will come later. ;-)
    Ok... so why are people complaining? Ugh, it's one thing to criticize a lack of technology or questionable choice from a camera manufacturer, but complaining about features that will happen later just boggles my mind. "Let's just wait for everything to be in place so we can start filming with the Komodo in two years from now", or we can start using it now with lots of possibilities and when the time comes it will increase in value of features. The AF system isn't even in its final form yet so the full benefits of RF lenses and the AF system wouldn't even be there even if it had RF support. I don't see the reasoning behind the complaint if it's just a matter of time before we get RF lens support. It seems to be the biggest complaint going in circles right now... ugh.
    "Using any digital cinema camera today is like sending your 35mm rolls to a standard lab. -Using a Red is like owning a dark room."

Ok... so why are people complaining? Ugh, it's one thing to criticize a lack of technology or questionable choice from a camera manufacturer, but complaining about features that will happen later just boggles my mind. "Let's just wait for everything to be in place so we can start filming with the Komodo in two years from now", or we can start using it now with lots of possibilities and when the time comes it will increase in value of features. The AF system isn't even in its final form yet so the full benefits of RF lenses and the AF system wouldn't even be there even if it had RF support. I don't see the reasoning behind the complaint if it's just a matter of time before we get RF lens support. It seems to be the biggest complaint going in circles right now... ugh.
    I think not to get disappointed, You should buy what is available today if you like it, then if things improve in the future then great. Now I think red for sure will improve Komodo and it will very likely get RF lens control. But again things doesn't not allways play out as planned, still we have no Red laser projector, Meitzler Module etc.
    Björn Benckert
    Creative Lead & Founder Syndicate Entertainment AB
    +46855524900 www.syndicate.se/axis
    VFX / Flame / Motion capture / Monstro

Quote Originally Posted by Björn Benckert View Post
    I think not to get disappointed, You should buy what is available today if you like it, then if things improve in the future then great. Now I think red for sure will improve Komodo and it will very likely get RF lens control. But again things doesn't not allways play out as planned, still we have no Red laser projector, Meitzler Module etc.
    RF native electronics has never been a dealbreaker for me. But it would be disappointing if it never gets that support since the AF would work much better. But this isn't like the laser projector or Maitzler module, since those were external products. The RF hardware is already there, with the pins already transferring lens data over to the EF lenses and back, so this is a firmware thing only with the only thing standing in the way of RF support would be something like Canon locking down others ability to use their new mount, which makes zero sense when their EF lens mounts are used by many outside of Canon.

I understand proprietary locks so that products only work with other products from the same company, but that kind of capitalism will always slow down technology progression and innovation. People want to revolutionize tech and the human condition, but only if you can squeeze every dollar out of every part of the tech you innovate. If Canon has a "lock" on the RF mount, that would be the most stupid way to do business since they would earn much more selling more RF lenses if more people have their mount.

But this just seems to be a simple bottleneck of support protocols from Red, they are busy making the camera ready for official models and the first out of beta firmware, so coding new support for lenses is not a priority and even after that they would need to add more EF lenses first. It's probably just lowered on the list because of the larger advantage of using adapters with EF lenses over RF. RF lenses won't have any benefits until the AF system is fully complete.

Ok... so why are people complaining?[snip]
    Because they don't read the specs (now there are no excuse : it's on red.com !) and don't get it because on C70 and Canon EOS R cameras it is obviously working.
    And it's a different demographic also. As mentionned earlier, people who bought a Sony Venice with the E-Mount option did not complain about the fact that the electronic was not supported at launch (I have no idea if it is now btw) because they read about what they were buying. Komodo is so affordable that lot of people who are more familiar with the DSLR/Hybrid world buy it without aknowledging what it offers. At least it's my feeling, I might be totally wrong :p

First off, it's not a complaint - it is saying that RF lens control is important to us and we would like clarification of where we are in development. If it is known that the RF protocol is essentially figured out and it is just a matter of further implementation of various lenses and writing firmware for the Komodo that's one thing. If they so far have no access, then that is entirely different because it is likely far down the road or may never happen unless Canon opens it up.
    Save the Sharks
    RED Komodo soon. Original Manufacturer of RedOne & Epic/Scarlet/Weapon Underwater housings - contact us for sale or rent. RED owner since REDONE SN206. Manufacturer of Eye2Eye direct eye contact interviewing rig. 954.937.6600 (send a text first-having to use spam blocker these days) ... aquavideo1 at yahoo.com

This can be applied to anything, not just cameras: Buy it for what it can do today, not what it is promised to do tomorrow. A manufacturer may have all of the best intentions in the world of adding/implementing a feature at a later date, but stuff happens and it may never happen for various reasons. Then people are upset and feel let-down, disappointed or even betrayed or lied to. So really people have two choices: they can either look at what it can do today and if that is enough, they can get it. But if they really want or have to have a feature that is promised for later, then they should wait for it to be implemented. That is the only way they can avoid disappointment.