Click here to go to the first RED TEAM post in this thread.   Thread: KOMODO....

Reply to Thread
Page 496 of 561 FirstFirst ... 396446486492493494495496497498499500506546 ... LastLast
Results 4,951 to 4,960 of 5602
    Congrats to the lucky first-rounders! Looking forward to seeing what you guys come up with.

And congrats to the RED team, too, on figuring out how to keep moving forward!

Where was the post about getting in on the first batch?

Quote Originally Posted by Med D View Post
    Where was the post about getting in on the first batch?
    It wasn't a post, it was a "blink and you will miss it" chance on Jarred's personal instagram
    https://www.instagram.com/p/CAQqnutjgZS/
    Formerly known as "nutman"
    ||| RED ONE #1333 ||| Epic-X #1003 |||
    ||| RED Hydrogen Houdini #0034 Titanium #1014 |||
    H4Vuser

Ugh...another RU kick. Hope at least a few Hydrogen buyers got in on it.

I gotta go to work now, at my warehouse job.

Pretty sure my previous posts were deleted. I have spent more money on REDs than anything in my life.

I wonder IF DSMC3 is being worked on, it seems like a lot of energy and time is being put into Komodo and I was thinking is anything else solid in the works?

Maybe Komodo is actually 8K?

Will there be an 8K Komodo?

Question for PHIL: how does FF with speed booster Komodo 6K compare to say, the R5, or any true full frame sensor. Can anyone even tell the difference at that point.

I miss my Helium but hopefully there is a DSMC3 in the works after Komodo...

Quote Originally Posted by Björn Benckert View Post
    Any color is fine with me as long as its black. :)
    Black only for me as well, even if I have to wait longer! Less chance of it showing up in a reflection, casting unwanted bounce, etc. More Stealth...
    Paul Kalbach

RED Weapon-Helium#4580, RedOne-MX #1693, RedOne-MX #10062

www.ArtichokePro.com
    www.RedZephyrCam.com

7. #4957 Arsenal 
    Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Dease View Post
    (snip) I wonder IF DSMC3 is being worked on, it seems like a lot of energy and time is being put into Komodo and I was thinking is anything else solid in the works? (snip)
    FWIW, I'd think that the RedTeam is learning a great deal on the Komodo project that will apply to DSMC3 development.

Keep in mind that Jarred declared DSMC2 would last until "at least" 2020, not that DSMC3 was scheduled for 2020 release.

I'd also note that RED has unified the DSMC2 bodies, added Rangers and been able to make Monstros in quantity since that statement.

The unique capabilities offered by Komodo bodies add compelling options to our arsenal. So much so, that even if Komodo does delay DSMC3 release, "making do" with a DSMC2 Monstro a bit longer seems like a good trade off to me.

Like most device development timelines in modern tech, it's a balance between waiting for viable next generation components and getting a product to market. Moreover, unlike a smartphone, a serious digital cinema camera isn't something you want to upgrade every couple of years - especially if the new device is only incrementally better than the existing one. If you ask me, I love the idea that RED can sell tons of Komodos over the next couple of years to keep the lights on while they engineer a DSMC3 that's a serious step up from DSMC2.

Early in RED's history there was a lot of impetus to dramatically redesign the cameras to move past fundamental issues with the R1 and DSMC1 platforms. IMO, that is no longer the case. While there is always room for improvement, DSMC2 ticks the important boxes for most use cases. Take the right amount of time, whatever that is, to make a DSMC3 that easily justifies the upgrade cost from DSMC2. If that's not until 2022, I, for one, am fine with that.

Since I'm on my soapbox today, and with Komodo filling the need for a compact camera with state of the art IQ, perhaps DSMC3 doesn't have to be super small. I'd be interested in seeing RED take the Ranger form factor to the next level, perhaps taking some cues from PV's DXL program. The traditional rigging of a camera package with add on accessories used to be SOP, but is that still the best approach? Seems like the time is ripe to integrate most of the functionality provided by all that "gack" into the body itself. Just a thought...

Cheers - #19

Any confirmation as to whether the Komodo will record ProRes internally or not?

Quote Originally Posted by Alex Chaloff View Post
    Not confirmed AFAIK.

VFX, Cinematographer, Photographer
    10 frame handles
    Vimeo
    Instagram

Quote Originally Posted by Alex Chaloff View Post
    I am a little confused. Komodo cameras are coming off the line and "select" people are taking delivery of cameras and after nine months of teasing we still do not know the tech specs ??? I understand early in the development process specs would be a moving target but if the cameras are being delivered surely most of the specs are now baked in??? Am I missing an announcement amongst the 496 pages of speculation within Reduser ? After nine months the tease has the potential of going stale.
    Tom Gleeson