Click here to go to the first RED TEAM post in this thread.   Thread: KOMODO....

Reply to Thread
Page 432 of 504 FirstFirst ... 332382422428429430431432433434435436442482 ... LastLast
Results 4,311 to 4,320 of 5035
    Will the Komodo be splash proof or at least weather and dust resistant?
    DSMC2 Monstro & Helium packages ready to shoot
    Gates Pro Action DSMC2 Water Housing
    SPL DSMC2 Custom Water Housings
    L/K-rtel
    Capbreton, France
    Instagram, Twitter and Vimeo

Quote Originally Posted by vincent kardasik View Post
    Will the Komodo be splash proof or at least weather and dust resistant?
    I doubt it judging by the huge vents on the body.
    VIDEO EDITING - COLOR GRADING - VFX
    APPLE FINAL CUT PRO, AVID MEDIA COMPOSER
    ADOBE CREATIVE CLOUD, DAVINCI RESOLVE, REDCINE X PRO...

Quote Originally Posted by Bastien Tribalat View Post
    I doubt it judging by the huge vents on the body.
    I disagree. The vents look like they are on both ends of a cooling tunnel straight through the body with fans on one end. The walls of the tunnel are heatsinks for the electronics sealed off behind them on all four sides, sensor electronics on the front, power on the rear, I/O across the bottom, control and display across the top ( more or less). Only the fans are exposed. The fan tunnel is probably a solid casting with no seams.
    I’m sure the circuit boards are conformally coated, so dust and moisture proof. Connectors and controls that pass through the skin are the weak points, but it should be as dust and splash proof as most high end DSLR’s and runs hot enough to evaporate the occasional stray droplet pretty quickly.
    All this is speculative until we see the inevitable YouTube tear down, but it would make good engineering sense.

Quote Originally Posted by Jarred Land View Post
    The normal Komodos will be black :)

Pricing for normal Komodos is holding steady... The Stormtroopers we are fighting to stay within that $1k premium as we keep throwing money at a broken supply chain.. miraculously we have so far... I just don't want to commit to that just yet because it's a pretty massive shit-show out there right now, and the next couple weeks will be telling.
    On the not-too-serious side, should the supply chain present any new hiccups, perhaps leave a prototype KOMODO alone to see what happens...
    https://www.cnn.com/2020/03/09/us/ko...rnd/index.html

Quote Originally Posted by David Rasberry View Post
    I disagree. The vents look like they are on both ends of a cooling tunnel straight through the body with fans on one end. The walls of the tunnel are heatsinks for the electronics sealed off behind them on all four sides, sensor electronics on the front, power on the rear, I/O across the bottom, control and display across the top ( more or less). Only the fans are exposed. The fan tunnel is probably a solid casting with no seams.
    I’m sure the circuit boards are conformally coated, so dust and moisture proof. Connectors and controls that pass through the skin are the weak points, but it should be as dust and splash proof as most high end DSLR’s and runs hot enough to evaporate the occasional stray droplet pretty quickly.
    All this is speculative until we see the inevitable YouTube tear down, but it would make good engineering sense.
    You're maybe right. Alexa Mini is weather sealed. (at least splash and dust resistant) so Komodo might be.
    VIDEO EDITING - COLOR GRADING - VFX
    APPLE FINAL CUT PRO, AVID MEDIA COMPOSER
    ADOBE CREATIVE CLOUD, DAVINCI RESOLVE, REDCINE X PRO...

Quote Originally Posted by David Rasberry View Post
    Im sure the circuit boards are conformally coated, so dust and moisture proof. Connectors and controls that pass through the skin are the weak points, but it should be as dust and splash proof as most high end DSLRs and runs hot enough to evaporate the occasional stray droplet pretty quickly.
    Jarred has been particularly quiet about the weather sealing, pretty much the only thing he hasn't addressed at this point. Makes so much sense in a camera like this, especially as it has a way higher chance of being exposed to the elements. They did at least hint at some kind of enhanced sealing with the snow photos!

Quote Originally Posted by Robert Parkin View Post
    Jarred has been particularly quiet about the weather sealing, pretty much the only thing he hasn't addressed at this point. Makes so much sense in a camera like this, especially as it has a way higher chance of being exposed to the elements. They did at least hint at some kind of enhanced sealing with the snow photos!
    First, I've had my Helium and Gemini dunked on a million times, whipped by dust and ash for weeks at a time...the DSMC2 line is already element-resistant, so I think y'all are safe to be more confident here, but after getting hands on a couple Komodos...to be honest, I went from "take my money" to "take my money 6 times". It's a tank, the vents are actually really really small...it's very robust. You can see right away why it's holding up in all those crazy environments they've been put in so far. And after seeing the preview on the top monitor, I doubt I'm even gonna hook a monitor to it. I want less gak, not more. The IQ is excellent. Feels like a Helium at first glance. It's stupid light. Our brains are already going wild thinking of all the mounting options...put an Infinity arm on it and you could probably put that thing anywhere...it feels like you're just mounting an A7s.

Tip of the hat to the engineering team for getting all that tech inside such a small body...really spectacular, TBH. You're all about to be able to have a 6K RED on a one-handed gimbal. Dwell on the possibilities for a minute. Sweet dreams!

Quote Originally Posted by Phil Holland View Post
    If you are looking for a hard fight between the two, comparing the Zeiss Otus 55mm f/1.4 to the Sigma Art 40mm f/1.4 (or Sigma Cine 40mm T1.5) is a hard decision if you need to choose just one.

And of course the Sigma is available in PL with a proper cinema housing as well as a part of much fuller cinema-minded set.

The Supremes are sort of that for Zeiss in this playing field.
    If i can obtain a Komodo, im one that will not rig it for an A camera but rather have it a pick up and go or director b or c cam, occasionally use it on stage rigs too as i do a lot fo those netflix stand up shows...that being said, im looking to find a happy medium btwn quality and size for a nice wide lens, not super wide, 18-24mm in s35 equivalent, wide enough to be a lens that lives on the camera but keeps everything small. i see pictures of people using that zeiss 21mm with a leica mount, but im definitely looking to either be PL mount or native RF. any suggestions? cine wide pirmes the size on an old super speed?
    Last edited by jordan levy; 03-10-2020 at 10:02 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Gabriel Mann View Post
    First, I've had my Helium and Gemini dunked on a million times, whipped by dust and ash for weeks at a time...the DSMC2 line is already element-resistant, so I think y'all are safe to be more confident here, but after getting hands on a couple Komodos...to be honest, I went from "take my money" to "take my money 6 times". It's a tank, the vents are actually really really small...it's very robust. You can see right away why it's holding up in all those crazy environments they've been put in so far. And after seeing the preview on the top monitor, I doubt I'm even gonna hook a monitor to it. I want less gak, not more. The IQ is excellent. Feels like a Helium at first glance. It's stupid light. Our brains are already going wild thinking of all the mounting options...put an Infinity arm on it and you could probably put that thing anywhere...it feels like you're just mounting an A7s.

Tip of the hat to the engineering team for getting all that tech inside such a small body...really spectacular, TBH. You're all about to be able to have a 6K RED on a one-handed gimbal. Dwell on the possibilities for a minute. Sweet dreams!
    Great to read that!
    DSMC2 Monstro & Helium packages ready to shoot
    Gates Pro Action DSMC2 Water Housing
    SPL DSMC2 Custom Water Housings
    L/K-rtel
    Capbreton, France
    Instagram, Twitter and Vimeo

Quote Originally Posted by jordan levy View Post
    If i can obtain a Komodo, im one that will not rig it for an A camera but rather have it a pick up and go or director b or c cam, occasionally use it on stage rigs too as i do a lot fo those netflix stand up shows...that being said, im looking to find a happy medium btwn quality and size for a nice wide lens, not super wide, 18-24mm in s35 equivalent, wide enough to be a lens that lives on the camera but keeps everything small. i see pictures of people using that zeiss 21mm with a leica mount, but im definitely looking to either be PL mount or native RF. any suggestions? cine wide pirmes the size on an old super speed?

PL Mount

Small in size in that realm: Sigma Cine 20mm T1.5 or 24mm T1.5

A smidge slower, but lighter weight = Zeiss CP.3 18mm, 21mm T2.9 or the 25mm T2.1.

Xenon FF-Primes are probably still in the small range you're hoping for, Tokina's 18mm T1.5 is a big lens however, etc.... I think the popular 18-35 Sigma zoom will find new life on Komodo for sure.

With Komodo being a S35+ sensor really anything S35 in PL is ideal from K35s to Super Speeds.

Native RF, more glass coming really in that range. Just can't really talk about it yet.
    Phil Holland - Cinematographer - Los Angeles

2X RED Monstro 8K VV Bodies and a lot of things to use with them.

Data Sheets and Notes:
    Red Weapon/DSMC2
    Red Dragon