Click here to go to the first RED TEAM post in this thread.   Thread: KOMODO....

Reply to Thread
Page 405 of 505 FirstFirst ... 305355395401402403404405406407408409415455 ... LastLast
Results 4,041 to 4,050 of 5043
    Quote Originally Posted by Luke Marcus Rosen View Post
    I'm going to wager 6K for 6K! 5999 to be exact.
    If this thing costs less than a 1Dx III and D6, Canon and Nikon got some splainin to do.

Quote Originally Posted by Gregory Karydis View Post
    That brings up the next obvious question...
    How secure is that CFast card (and the footage) in there?
    And when you say "blown up", do you mean to pieces, or just in close proximity?

That opens up a world of possibilities for extremely risky takes!
    Which is something I will try to avoid with my Stormtrooper, but the regular production baby dragons will be fair game!

I think what he meant was "El Kaboom" type blow ups :)

Quote Originally Posted by Lee Saxon View Post
    If this thing costs less than a 1Dx III and D6, Canon and Nikon got some splainin to do.
    Canon is a global leader in multiple areas of technology. In a given month, Canon files over 6000 patents on their new inventions. In global camera sales, Canon leads their closest competitor by a margin of at least 1:10,000. They research, develop, design and fabricate their own CMOS and other digital imaging sensors. Canon designed a 250 million pixel CMOS sensor in 2015. They also, invented a sensor in 2015 with the equivalent of ISO 4,560,000. I've also, heard that they had developed a 160 Gigapixel CMOS sensor for earth bound and space telescopes. Financial wise, globally Canon probably makes daily more than what RED had made in their entire history. So, do they have some explaining to do? I doubt they would give two flying farts about what other companies are introducing. They do have their customer base and it is safe to bet on that number is going to increase as the time goes by.

However, Canon seems kinda always late to the party in digital cinema arena where ARRI and RED seems to hold a preference among DPs and Directors so far. Then again, ARRI is doing the same play cautious attitude in this industry.

Source "Canon Global Website" https://global.canon/en/v-square/#canonTechnologies

Just like everyone else, I'd love to see Komodo become the go-to, the most compact, rugged, all weather, even the best digital cinema crash camera in the industry. But, we have to be realistic to say the least.

Senior Member Karim D. Ghantous's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Andi Loor View Post
    I am rather curious about if it will be possible to use Komodo as a stills camera.
    It might be odd to use a cube as a stills camera, but if it's compact enough, it can work.

Quote Originally Posted by Neil Abeynayake View Post
    Canon is a global leader in multiple areas of technology.
    Really? That leadership doesn't seem to be trickling into their sensors or cameras. Their sensors are the worst in the business. Their cameras are unappealing. Nobody else uses Canon sensors, but lots of companies use Sony sensors. But the divisions that don't make cameras? Yeah, they do good stuff I'm sure.
    Good production values may not be noticed. Bad production values will be.
    Pinterest
    | Flickr | Instagram | 1961 (blog)

Quote Originally Posted by jacob.schwarz View Post
    Can you tell us Jarred more about resolutions and frame rates? Or is that still in the software side of things not hardware?
    +ONE
    Epic Forged Monstro (Camera 101)
    Epic X (Tribal)
    mindsetmedia@mac.com
    https://vimeo.com/user4448312
    Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/russfill/

Quote Originally Posted by Neil Abeynayake View Post
    Canon is a global leader in multiple areas of technology...we have to be realistic to say the least.

I'm not sure what point you're making? Or what point you think I was making? My point was just that comparing data throughput, costs of making a jellotron DSLR sensor in-house in vast quantities vs buying small batches of a specialty global sensor, and generally having far higher sales to amortize across [perhaps even within just this one model, and certainly when you consider the far broader product portfolio over all], the 1Dx III ought to have lower costs than the Komodo. If anything I think much of what you mention supports that.

But also, 1:10,000?? Who do you think Canon's closest competitor is? They care about Nikon and Sony, not Red or Arri.

Quote Originally Posted by Andi Loor View Post
    I am rather curious about if it will be possible to use Komodo as a stills camera. To me that kind of implementation would seem rather straight forward. I bought the side handle for the Epic that has a stills button, but it didn't ever get implemented to my knowledge. I wish for this functionality on Komodo especially since it is a smaller camera and has design cues borrowed from stills cameras. It would be rather easy to carry Komodo around and have it ready whenever images appear. Naturally it is possible to take images from video, but to me that isn't really the same.
    Been waiting for stills functionality since the Epic-X too!
    I think Komodo is the ideal size for that to happen and actually have some real world use.
    Formerly known as "nutman"
    ||| RED ONE #1333 ||| Epic-X #1003 |||
    ||| RED Hydrogen Houdini #0034 Titanium #1014 |||
    H4Vuser

Quote Originally Posted by Jonathan Keane View Post
    What does everyone think the price will be for non hydrogen owners?
    I'm hoping to see some footage soon so I can decide if I'm gonna sell my c200 for this camera!
    My guesses:

$6499 for a stormtrooper (limited)

$5999 for a regular run

$4999 for an early hydrogen serial
    Cinematographer/Editor/Writer

CinePros | Arterial Pictures
    RED Monstro CF "Baymax+"
    Blackmagic Pocket 4K
    Tokina Vista Primes
    Leica R

Quote Originally Posted by Lee Saxon View Post
    I'm not sure what point you're making? Or what point you think I was making? My point was just that comparing data throughput, costs of making a jellotron DSLR sensor in-house in vast quantities vs buying small batches of a specialty global sensor, and generally having far higher sales to amortize across [perhaps even within just this one model, and certainly when you consider the far broader product portfolio over all], the 1Dx III ought to have lower costs than the Komodo. If anything I think much of what you mention supports that.

But also, 1:10,000?? Who do you think Canon's closest competitor is? They care about Nikon and Sony, not Red or Arri.
    Canon DSLR’S are designed for stills shooters. Video is an afterthought.

Quote Originally Posted by RJ_Ortiz View Post
    My guesses:

$6499 for a stormtrooper (limited)

$5999 for a regular run

$4999 for an early hydrogen serial
    Your guesses are in line with mine.
    (and my wishful-not-gonna-happen-guesses would be 500$ off of each tiers :p)
    VIDEO EDITING - COLOR GRADING - VFX
    APPLE FINAL CUT PRO, AVID MEDIA COMPOSER
    ADOBE CREATIVE CLOUD, DAVINCI RESOLVE, REDCINE X PRO...