Click here to go to the first RED TEAM post in this thread.   Thread: KOMODO....

Reply to Thread
Page 401 of 505 FirstFirst ... 301351391397398399400401402403404405411451501 ... LastLast
Results 4,001 to 4,010 of 5041
    Hey Jarred what’s the latest state of manufacturing in China for Komodo in relation to the Coronavirus? Has Komodo already been sourced to different manufacturers outside China or is RED still waiting for the dust to settle? Looked like Coronavirus was on the decline two weeks ago but is back to growing again. Terrible thing for those affected and rough to see how it is affecting the world markets. Apple today projects earnings for iPhone to be down this quarter due to the virus. The health of anyone potentially affected is the most important consideration, just hope they are able to quickly contain and develop a fast acting cure.

Quote Originally Posted by Nick Morrison View Post
    Komodo is not designed to be A level camera on high end productions
    Mr Soderbergh would disagree :)

Quote Originally Posted by Paramon Ivanovich View Post
    Mr Soderbergh would disagree :)
    "not design to be this or that" doesn't mean you can't do said "this" or "that".
    Arri designed the Alexa Mini as a gimbal and drone version of the Alexa. All of its original promotion material focused on that and on the "not the A-Cam of a shoot" thing but we all know how things went for that.

Plus : Mister Soderbergh also shot a full length movie on an iPhone 7 so maybe there's more to how HE wants to work than how the gear IS INTENDED TO ? ;-)
    VIDEO EDITING - COLOR GRADING - VFX
    APPLE FINAL CUT PRO, AVID MEDIA COMPOSER
    ADOBE CREATIVE CLOUD, DAVINCI RESOLVE, REDCINE X PRO...

I question if many would buy a dedicated RED monitor for the pogo interface when you can buy a decent Android or iPhone for less than half the price of the small RED. That is what the pogo interface is designed for.
    It is not the same signal interface as a DSMC so would need a dedicated RED monitor model of its own anyway, not interchangeable with DSMC.
    The phone potentially brings a lot more to the table. Proxy recording, live streaming to a cloud service for instant dailies,

Quote Originally Posted by Jarred Land View Post
    Yeah.. if you own both you probably will choose a DSMC2 for your A cam on larger shoots if you need Aux power outputs, lens motors, multiple monitors, etc. etc. etc. because to build Komodo up to do all that your size for size getting to be the same ballpark. And remember framerates... if you need high framerates you will pick up a DSMC2. And at least with Monstro and in some cases Gemini you are gonna have more latitude.

But.. many people don't need all that for run and gun or discreet or pop off shots, and obviously what the camera was designed for ( Gimbals and Crash rigs , Drones etc ) komodo is gonna win. And for those that want smallest package possible and do most everything themselves it will most definitely will be an A cam. I am seeing people do that a lot already.. Even some that have ALL of our cameras lined up to chose from.

I gotta say things changed for me personally when we turned that little tiny top screen on as a preview monitor last week.. I thought it would be completely useless to use as a monitor but I was wrong. I mean you of course want a proper monitor for focus until we get at least focus confirmation working but shooting like that with nothing else but a lens is so powerful and o so small with such a big image.

Yeah... I know It's my baby. And I'd be proud of it even if it was an ugly duckling and of course I am going to say good things about it.... but I gotta say... this camera really feels special.
    I think this is an easily overlooked point from Jarred, rather than relying on autofocus, using PDAF for focus confirmation could be a game changer for pulling focus depending on the implementation. ie. on a very small monitor like the built in. Very excited for this feature!

Any word on start up times yet?

Quote Originally Posted by David Rasberry View Post
    I question if many would buy a dedicated RED monitor for the pogo interface when you can buy a decent Android or iPhone for less than half the price of the small RED. That is what the pogo interface is designed for.
    It is not the same signal interface as a DSMC so would need a dedicated RED monitor model of its own anyway, not interchangeable with DSMC.
    The phone potentially brings a lot more to the table. Proxy recording, live streaming to a cloud service for instant dailies,
    Those contacts could also be used, in theory, for monitor manufacturers like SmallHD to use with their own product provided they (or RED) make an adapter (isn't it how it works for the SmallHD something something screen to control a DSMC2 camera right now ?)
    VIDEO EDITING - COLOR GRADING - VFX
    APPLE FINAL CUT PRO, AVID MEDIA COMPOSER
    ADOBE CREATIVE CLOUD, DAVINCI RESOLVE, REDCINE X PRO...

Quote Originally Posted by Bastien Tribalat View Post
    "not design to be this or that" doesn't mean you can't do said "this" or "that".
    Arri designed the Alexa Mini as a gimbal and drone version of the Alexa. All of its original promotion material focused on that and on the "not the A-Cam of a shoot" thing but we all know how things went for that.

Plus : Mister Soderbergh also shot a full length movie on an iPhone 7 so maybe there's more to how HE wants to work than how the gear IS INTENDED TO ? ;-)
    I guess the question we're discussing isn't really "is Komodo an A-cam?", but "what is an A-cam in 2020?" Since its inception, RED has been one of the central players in changing the definition of what a professional camera can be, and we've since seen theatrical features shot primarily on the 5D mkII, iPhone, etc. Do you consider an A-cam anything more than the label for the camera shooting the primary angle of your coverage?

Does it need to be designed such that it's well suited to the division of labor you'd find in a Hollywood camera team (e.g. operator and AC have their own interfaces)? With so many companies inventing clever options to rig and power and monitor cameras, leveraging technologies like 3D printing and mobile screens and processors, it's so much easier than its ever been to overcome the challenges of a particular camera...

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Gundu View Post
    Sounds like DSMC3.
    Not necessarily.. Even assuming DSMC3 will potentially be smaller than DSMC2 it still won't have the small footprint and low power consumption of a Komodo. DSMC is designed amongst other things for HFR and that always requires a strong processing engine. Therefore it requires more Voltage and it'll be more Power hungry etc...

Komodo is in terms of size and handling in a perfect sweet spot for taking it anywhere and doing anything anytime. Having a tad more fps in some situations, while still not 'rivaling' DSMC2, is a bless.

Quote Originally Posted by David Rasberry View Post
    I sure will use my iPhone 11Pro. However, that solution is not cable free and in harsh environments I really prefer a CABLE FREE monitoring solution. Furthermore, the battery of Smartphones drain very quickly when used in cold weather situations. Last time in Antarctica I was flying a Mavic Pro with my iPhone and the battery life was a nightmare. Although I could imaging the pogo interface will charge the Smartphone battery simultaneously..
    Yea I know, it's not compatible with DSMC that has been confirmed by Jarred long time ago. If it happens, it would be a total new solution...

I said it in another thread, but I wouldn't be surprised if Komodo does to RED's line-up, what the Minis did the Alexa line-up; the only time people rent the bigger/older versions is when the Minis are all rented out (presuming you don't need VV, 8k, and/or HFR, obviously).

I just don't see many people choosing to use the bigger, more cumbersome cameras over Komodo's global shutter and substantially better battery life, especially if they're owner/ops (of course, presuming there are no obvious short-comings, like only 12stops of DR or 12:1 compression ratio).