Click here to go to the first RED TEAM post in this thread.   Thread: KOMODO....

Reply to Thread
Page 331 of 505 FirstFirst ... 231281321327328329330331332333334335341381431 ... LastLast
Results 3,301 to 3,310 of 5042
    Quote Originally Posted by Alexander Sutton-Hough View Post
    This forum has gotten very long with lots of excitement. But I am having trouble finding out how this camera (from what is publicly know) compares to the current Red line up.

How will this compare to the Red line up. With all this hype and excitement feels like it going to be a waste to buy any other RED or is there some major things lacking that makes up when buying 25k-60k DSMC2 camera that I am missing?
    People still buy original ARRI Alexa's, people still buy DSMC1 cameras, the DSMC2 lineup will not be irrelevant once Komodo comes out. Its complimentary.

If you can afford to drop 20K-60K on a RED, then i dont think it should even be a question, just buy both! But if you can't, then weigh the pro's and cons of each camera and see what suits your needs.

Do you need Slo Mo? Do you need modularity? Do you need more robust locking mounts? DSMC2

Do you need Global shutter? Do you need Autofocus? Komodo

The Komodo to me is perfect due to its form factor, size, weight, sensor size, resolution, non proprietary media, and the RF mount allows all my old vintage lenses to be used with adapters that have no additional glass elements. I still want a Dragon-x and a Monstro tho... oh the dream. I want it all!

Since Komodo is intended to intercut seamlessly with the DSMC line, there should not be significant differences in IQ or DR for optimally exposed footage. There are however major differences in operating features and options.

DSMC advantages:

Higher frame rates for a given resolution and format.
    Much broader connectivity and configuration options with DSMC modules
    Interchangeable lens mounts and OLPF’s
    Faster, higher capacity dedicated media
    Higher maximum resolutions. Larger sensors.
    Multi-track pro audio I/O
    More choices of recording codecs and compression ratios.
    Dedicated DSMC touch screen monitors and viewfinders.
    Better suited to high end A cam crewed productions.

Quote Originally Posted by Eric Lange View Post
    Like a lot of tech entrepreneurs Jim Jannard is a also a very good submarine in terms of general areas he's been working on for quite a long time in some cases.

I'm not sure where one would set the time line for beginning of KOMODO at ?

I couldn't hazard a guess as to how much Jim Jannard had to spend on HYDROGEN but it has to be in the neighborhood of hundreds of millions of dollars ~ That was a lot of "Big moving parts" as he put it.

@Rakesh M that's interesting about the Venice (good catch ~ fast scan).
    Is it wrong that in my head I hear Cookie Monster's voice read every single post of yours?

I'll see myself out....

What are the known specs and availability?

So that I actually contribute to the discussion today, I have to say that as a SW owner I'm conflicted. I've signed up to upgrade my camera to the newly 6k Dragon-X and timed it for late Feb/early March. The price to do that upgrade is very close to what we're expecting Komodo to come in at, and I likely already own quite a bit of the accessories to make Komodo shootable.

I don't know if I'm better off going through with the upgrade or getting a matching B/gimbal cam for my Scarlet. There are compelling reasons to do both and I can only afford to do one or the other. Decisions decisions...

Quote Originally Posted by Alexander Sutton-Hough View Post
    What are the known specs and availability?
    RED Komodo 6K

Sensor: S35, 6K Resolution, Made by RED
    Sensor Read out (shutter): Global AND Rolling
    Format Size = 27.03x14.25mm (30.56mm image circle)
    Format Resolution = 6144x3240 (19.91 megapixels)
    Format Aspect Ratio = 1.90:1
    Max Frame Rate @ Full Res: 40fps @ 6K FF
    Autofocus: Yes (Phase Detect)
    Weight: ~2lbs
    Size: 4” Cubed
    Lens Mount: RF Mount (fixed)
    Battery: Dual Canon BP-9
    Media: CFast 2.0
    DC Connector: Lemo
    SDI: Yes 4K SDI OUT (x1)
    HDMI: No
    USB-C: No
    Audio: Yes, 3.5mm audio in/out (maybe scratch mic as well?)
    Built in Monitor: Yes (touchscreen ~3”x3”)
    Additional connection: Yes, gold pins on top for cordless monitors/ cellphone cradle, + EXT Port
    Screw Holes: Yes, at least (6?) 1/4"-20 UNC threads (standard) looks like additional m3 and m4 threads as well
    Power on: hard stop switch
    Additional buttons: Yes, Back, Lock, up, down, play
    Wifi: Yes, Antenna on left side
    Cellphone integration: Yes, IOS and Android
    Additional accessories: Yes RED and GDU accessories coming on release, presumably every major accessory manufacturer will as well

Availability: SOON, we don't know, within 4 months we can expect it. The first footage should be arriving near February 7th.
    Price: ~$5,000 - $7,500 ???

I'm probably missing stuff and got a bit wrong but this is what i can remember, thank you Phil Holland for you PHFX tools to get the sensor info.

Quote Originally Posted by Fahnon Bennett View Post
    Is it wrong that in my head I hear Cookie Monster's voice read every single post of yours?

I'll see myself out....
    That's totally OK ~ My old man / family used to work on a couple of Henson productions (in the UK) and knew Frank Oz , so I'll take that as a compliment ~ Even sometimes I read and write these posts as Cookie Monster (voice) too lol

Life is short … Can't always be that serious or smart or right (facepalm).

Where me put my spec sheet … num ne num num num ne mwam.

Next.

__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ _____________________

* Avi is a vestigial left over from the "Banana-squad"** + mysterious (at the time) HYDROGEN "cookies " ---> Hence Cookie Monster enthusiastically holding a banana -Ironically the aims and wants and technical needs of various "Banana-squad " members have not diminished and for sure KOMODO offers some super possibilities for AR/ VR/ 3d and digital workflow and FX that the other RED cameras can't do. Cookie Monster has grown on me.

** At the time very few people had seen the HYDROGEN LEIA screen, so one notable shooter / cinematographer described and reported the screen as being totally "Bananas" ~ "We" / "We happy few" had not seen the screen until May 9th / 19th ? at Red Hollywood Studios so we were trying to figure out what would make a new nano-tech autostereoscopic screen to be "Bananas" - We eventually went bananas trying to figure that one out and instead founded the "Banana Squad" a group of "peeps" super enthusiastic and interested in Jim Janard's stated goals and vision for HYDROGEN project.
    __________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ _______________________

A 25 year long equipment list / toy box of stuff that's waaaaaaay too long and too bizarre and obscure to mention (even here).

~ But the HYDROGENS I have kicking about the place could be "Handy" for a bit of reduced price KOMODO "Action" ;-)

Quote Originally Posted by Colton John McLaughlin View Post
    RED Komodo 6K

Sensor: S35, 6K Resolution, Made by RED
    Sensor Read out (shutter): Global AND Rolling
    Format Size = 27.03x14.25mm (30.56mm image circle)
    Format Resolution = 6144x3240 (19.91 megapixels)
    Format Aspect Ratio = 1.90:1
    Max Frame Rate @ Full Res: 40fps @ 6K FF
    Autofocus: Yes (Phase Detect)
    Weight: ~2lbs
    Size: 4” Cubed
    Lens Mount: RF Mount (fixed)
    Battery: Dual Canon BP-9
    Media: CFast 2.0
    DC Connector: Lemo
    SDI: Yes 4K SDI OUT (x1)
    HDMI: No
    USB-C: No
    Audio: Yes, 3.5mm audio in/out (maybe scratch mic as well?)
    Built in Monitor: Yes (touchscreen ~3”x3”)
    Additional connection: Yes, gold pins on top for cordless monitors/ cellphone cradle, + EXT Port
    Screw Holes: Yes, at least (6?) 1/4"-20 UNC threads (standard) looks like additional m3 and m4 threads as well
    Power on: hard stop switch
    Additional buttons: Yes, Back, Lock, up, down, play
    Wifi: Yes, Antenna on left side
    Cellphone integration: Yes, IOS and Android
    Additional accessories: Yes RED and GDU accessories coming on release, presumably every major accessory manufacturer will as well

Availability: SOON, we don't know, within 4 months we can expect it. The first footage should be arriving near February 7th.
    Price: ~$5,000 - $7,500 ???

I'm probably missing stuff and got a bit wrong but this is what i can remember, thank you Phil Holland for you PHFX tools to get the sensor info.
    Thanks for this Colton!

Quote Originally Posted by Fahnon Bennett View Post
    So that I actually contribute to the discussion today, I have to say that as a SW owner I'm conflicted. I've signed up to upgrade my camera to the newly 6k Dragon-X and timed it for late Feb/early March. The price to do that upgrade is very close to what we're expecting Komodo to come in at, and I likely already own quite a bit of the accessories to make Komodo shootable.

I don't know if I'm better off going through with the upgrade or getting a matching B/gimbal cam for my Scarlet. There are compelling reasons to do both and I can only afford to do one or the other. Decisions decisions...
    I'm in a similar boat Fahnon - stick with my Weapon Mg and save for future upgrades, or sell it and buy Komodo and accessories. I can't justify owning 2 cameras. For me the global shutter, reduced weight, size, and power consumption is really appealing. But I'll definitely miss having 50p/60p @6K. Another thing to take into account is upgradability - Red has always been generous with their upgrade options, and I'm concerned that if I sell my Mg, DSMC3 will become out of reach for me. It's not an easy decision, and obviously we can only decide once final specs and footage are seen, but I'm currently leaning toward the Komodo.

I am very intrigued by the sensor that RED announces ... They say it is special ... I wonder if it is not an OPF CMOS sensor (Organic Photosensor Film) with adjustable iso sensitivity (not in gain but in real as in film by prohibiting the saturation of silicon photodiode), ND filters would be of no use ! This is compatible with the global shutter, would also increase the dynamics of several stops and the sensor could accept very inclined rays (less vignetting and no false colors in the corners)

The Organic Photosensor Film was invented by Fuji and Panasonic had to industrialize it a few years ago but to my knowledge there is no camera using this sensor on the market yet.