Click here to go to the first RED TEAM post in this thread.   Thread: KOMODO....

Reply to Thread
Page 434 of 683 FirstFirst ... 334384424430431432433434435436437438444484534 ... LastLast
Results 4,331 to 4,340 of 6826
  1. #4331  
    Quote Originally Posted by Jarred Land View Post
    Just a little update to all you that are still following along.

    Things are still on track, going as well as they could be given the global supply chain issues paralyzing the "making things" world right now. Our Manufacturing team's diligence to get ahead of it looks to be paying off. I really can't thank Aaron and his team enough for all their hard work and sleepless nights powering through this all. As long as Mexico stays strong we just might see snow in May after all.

    Also for NAB I have talked to a lot of you privately and as most of you following me on social know, last weekend I stopped our NAB build out, there will be no demo area for RED at NAB, even if NAB still decides to go forward. NAB doesn't do refunds so we still have the space but it purely will be a social event and I have left attendance to NAB in the hands of my employees and attendance is 100% purely at their own discretion. Fear or Facts it doesn't matter to me.. safety of my staff and their families come first.

    Anyways... we still be blowing up Komodos every week, still testing testing testing, still turning things on one by one and it's pretty awesome. I think you guys are going to love this little camera.

    excuse me as I go find some wood to knock on.
    Hey Jarred, if your team manages to make it snow in May any idea how close you are to taking preorders? I am really good at my 4 a day REDUser check habit. Kind of like my overly washing hands for Coronavirus habit. (bad joke) Just take my money already for a spot in the line so I can focus on other things. Like having even more time to wash my hands.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  2. #4332  
    Senior Member Alain M's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Miami, FL || Maracay-Venezuela
    Posts
    502
    Quote Originally Posted by Phil Holland View Post
    The 50mm f/1.4 Milvus is an entirely new design, he's referring to the older ZF 50mm f/1.4 which is um..... Yeah. New design is pretty good.

    The macro was/is pretty good though.
    Hello Phil... I am buying this week 2 to 3 lenses for a more day by day use (Not Film projects).... So I was thinking in the range of $1200 to $2500 each. My top in the head is MILVUS Line but I wanna to hear from you if you had any suggestions about any other brand you think might be good too.

    I was also peaking at the new XEEN CF Prime Lenses but no idea what to choose... heheheh

    Thanks a lot! :)
    Last edited by Alain M; 03-10-2020 at 10:41 PM.
    Alain Maiki
    Director || Filmmaker
    epicinmotion.com
    alainmaiki.com
    IMDb Alain Maiki
    RED Helium 8K S35
    RED Komodo
    Reply With Quote  
     

  3.   Click here to go to the next RED TEAM post in this thread.
  #4333  
    Fire Chief Jarred Land's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Posts
    10,618
    Quote Originally Posted by James Winegar View Post
    Hey Jarred, if your team manages to make it snow in May any idea how close you are to taking preorders? I am really good at my 4 a day REDUser check habit. Kind of like my overly washing hands for Coronavirus habit. (bad joke) Just take my money already for a spot in the line so I can focus on other things. Like having even more time to wash my hands.
    There are no pre-orders for the stormtroopers... they just show up one day and we sell them till they are gone. And then they are gone. For those new to the game, When I do a special stormtrooper run they technically don't really exist. They are first ones out of the ovens and don't actually show up on RED.com ( well except for a super low key order page )

    They just magically appear one day.

    But I am giving you weekly updates right here until that happens, so you should have a good idea when to expect them. And I appreciate the visits and the love but you don't need to check in multiple times a day everyday for a bit still..... it won't be till May if Mexico can stay ahead of all the drama.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  4. #4334  
    Quote Originally Posted by Jarred Land View Post
    But I am giving you weekly updates right here until that happens, so you should have a good idea when to expect them. And I appreciate the visits and the love but you don't need to check in multiple times a day everyday for a bit still..... it won't be till May if Mexico can stay ahead of all the drama.
    Can't wait for that magical moment...!
    And in the meantime we can stay creative and have a good time while we wait! :)

    How about "caption this!" eh?


    Sorry for the blue shirt Jarred, I am printing you a black one, but it's gotta come out perfect if I am going to use it.
    Formerly known as "nutman"
    ||| RED ONE #1333 ||| Epic-X #1003 |||
    ||| RED Hydrogen Houdini #0034 Titanium #1014 |||
    H4Vuser
    Reply With Quote  
     

  5.   Click here to go to the next RED TEAM post in this thread.
  #4335  
    Fire Chief Jarred Land's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Posts
    10,618
    Heh heh heh love it man, love it.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  6. #4336  
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2014
    Location
    Sarajevo
    Posts
    970

    Dafuqe?!

    Hats off, Gregory!!!
    Reply With Quote  
     

  7. #4337  
    Senior Member Luis Boria's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2015
    Location
    Connecticut
    Posts
    133
    Quote Originally Posted by Jarred Land View Post
    There are no pre-orders for the stormtroopers... they just show up one day and we sell them till they are gone. And then they are gone. For those new to the game, When I do a special stormtrooper run they technically don't really exist. They are first ones out of the ovens and don't actually show up on RED.com ( well except for a super low key order page )

    They just magically appear one day.

    But I am giving you weekly updates right here until that happens, so you should have a good idea when to expect them. And I appreciate the visits and the love but you don't need to check in multiple times a day everyday for a bit still..... it won't be till May if Mexico can stay ahead of all the drama.
    Nice! Fingers Crossed for May Release my birthday month it would be a great gift to me hehe... ohh by the way it’s the 13th hint hint

    Thanks Jarred for the update
    Last edited by Luis Boria; 03-11-2020 at 08:14 AM.
    DPCHASE.COM
    @INSTAGRAM
    RED KOMODO #000096
    Reply With Quote  
     

  8. #4338  
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Posts
    2,289
    Quote Originally Posted by Phil Holland View Post
    Not clear on your last couple of points, but I referenced every PL mount lens there, but he was looking for a relatively small PL lens in size.

    In terms of feature film work, I haven't shot a single image of anything RF mount to end up on the big screen yet, it's too new and sort of um.... waiting for a camera to do that with :)

    If referencing other non-PL mount lenses I've used for work that's ended up in theaters, here's the quick list of stuff I've used for plates, VFX, or just general stuff:
    - Canon EF
    - Nikon F
    - Olympus OM
    - Leica-R
    - Leica-M
    - Mamiya 645
    - Hasselblad 500

    In terms of shear optical quality as many have discovered some of the less expensive lenses outperform much, much higher end glass on an optical level, perhaps more importantly is the insane technical accomplishments some of the top tier lens manufacturers have achieved recently with high quality and hard to manufacturer aspherical or multi-aspherical designs. That doesn't mean there aren't a million reasons to shoot with a quality PL set. I use PL mostly for what I do because its' a robust and sturdy mount, cinema optics typically have much better mechanics, no image shift, build quality, consistent character ideally across a set of glass, heck if it's me I prefer a set of consistent T stops across primes too.

    For me though, no matter what lenses I'm using for a shoot or even an individual shot, it starts with the look and then I go from there. I really enjoy working the Summilux-Cs for instance for their cleaner modern look, but I actually really like the Cooke S4s too because they are not that.

    Like a set of Super Speeds isn't going to out resolve a set of Sigma Cine Primes for instance (<=140lp/mm versus 200+lp/mm and way better control over aberations, heh, and no plastic lenses involved *snicker*). But if you are choosing Super Speeds you are after their look more than anything these days.

    There's weirder stuff in there that I have a lot of personal experience with that mirrors many DPs experiences too. Like Master Primes are phenomenal, but that 50mm is weird and most will go wider or longer as the 65mm T1.3 is a very nice lens and performs on par with the rest of the set.


    I guess if you are looking for a major pro for the RF, though it sounds like that doesn't interest you, bare in mind that with the right lens your camera can be shorter than the camera with a PL Mount on there even. I don't need to repeat it really, but Komodo from the ground up is designed to be very small. That's very clear. And who knows, they might do a PL mount version for sure. But you'll have to answer if losing the possibility of going to any shorter flange distance mounts will be worth it in a camera that inspires creative use cases. It will be for some. With Komodo as it is now, RED has gone with the PL Adapter route. And ideally when it extra support is needed, rig it out with a support plate and foot. Heck leave it rigged that way if that's what you always use. In the DSMC2 world we do have interchangeable mounts and I hope that continues with DSMC3, hopefully now that the mount standard for RF exists RED can also make the bigger cameras compatible there too.

    It's so weird when people want less options when it comes to the creative and technical lens solutions you can come up with, but there's certainly room for "just PL" in some worlds. Likely not a sub-$10K camera though. I mean most people in that pricing tier don't own PL glass for instance. But they do own EF and others for sure.
    thanks again phil, yeah, i lean towards the cooke s4's or cooke anamorphics for almost every project, but so what's with this zeiss 21mm with a leica mount i think it is in a lot of the komodo pictures? why did they go that route? size? i think you mentioned the adapter before.

    i think there are 3 options i see for me;

    PL mount adapter, get one high end small pl mount lens that lives on the camera, but in a pinch can throw on another lens from my A camera

    just stick with RF native, hope for good AF one day, get a nice wide zoom and a nice wide to mid range prime

    or get a wide, medium and tight of some lenses made for stills, like that 21mm leica zeiss pictured on it, or a few lieca R's

    i think the secret is choosing one route that works for you.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  9. #4339  
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Posts
    213
    Quote Originally Posted by Phil Holland View Post
    Not clear on your last couple of points, but I referenced every PL mount lens there, but he was looking for a relatively small PL lens in size.

    In terms of feature film work, I haven't shot a single image of anything RF mount to end up on the big screen yet, it's too new and sort of um.... waiting for a camera to do that with :)

    If referencing other non-PL mount lenses I've used for work that's ended up in theaters, here's the quick list of stuff I've used for plates, VFX, or just general stuff:
    - Canon EF
    - Nikon F
    - Olympus OM
    - Leica-R
    - Leica-M
    - Mamiya 645
    - Hasselblad 500

    In terms of shear optical quality as many have discovered some of the less expensive lenses outperform much, much higher end glass on an optical level, perhaps more importantly is the insane technical accomplishments some of the top tier lens manufacturers have achieved recently with high quality and hard to manufacturer aspherical or multi-aspherical designs. That doesn't mean there aren't a million reasons to shoot with a quality PL set. I use PL mostly for what I do because its' a robust and sturdy mount, cinema optics typically have much better mechanics, no image shift, build quality, consistent character ideally across a set of glass, heck if it's me I prefer a set of consistent T stops across primes too.

    For me though, no matter what lenses I'm using for a shoot or even an individual shot, it starts with the look and then I go from there. I really enjoy working the Summilux-Cs for instance for their cleaner modern look, but I actually really like the Cooke S4s too because they are not that.

    Like a set of Super Speeds isn't going to out resolve a set of Sigma Cine Primes for instance (<=140lp/mm versus 200+lp/mm and way better control over aberations, heh, and no plastic lenses involved *snicker*). But if you are choosing Super Speeds you are after their look more than anything these days.

    There's weirder stuff in there that I have a lot of personal experience with that mirrors many DPs experiences too. Like Master Primes are phenomenal, but that 50mm is weird and most will go wider or longer as the 65mm T1.3 is a very nice lens and performs on par with the rest of the set.


    I guess if you are looking for a major pro for the RF, though it sounds like that doesn't interest you, bare in mind that with the right lens your camera can be shorter than the camera with a PL Mount on there even. I don't need to repeat it really, but Komodo from the ground up is designed to be very small. That's very clear. And who knows, they might do a PL mount version for sure. But you'll have to answer if losing the possibility of going to any shorter flange distance mounts will be worth it in a camera that inspires creative use cases. It will be for some. With Komodo as it is now, RED has gone with the PL Adapter route. And ideally when it extra support is needed, rig it out with a support plate and foot. Heck leave it rigged that way if that's what you always use. In the DSMC2 world we do have interchangeable mounts and I hope that continues with DSMC3, hopefully now that the mount standard for RF exists RED can also make the bigger cameras compatible there too.

    It's so weird when people want less options when it comes to the creative and technical lens solutions you can come up with, but there's certainly room for "just PL" in some worlds. Likely not a sub-$10K camera though. I mean most people in that pricing tier don't own PL glass for instance. But they do own EF and others for sure.
    Why its always "either or". Nobody is talking about no to RF mount. Its just saint idea for rental houses that invested millions in PL each have a camera without a hassle. Cameras that are rented get the most recognition. Rentals push packages aka cameras and lenses and other staff. Other users of Komodo's will benefit from that.

    If it was just me, I would say hurray to RF as I own a big set of nikkors and other Nikon mount lenses.

    Another point, if it's too long in making. Maybe some certified mount, that you can relay on --flange distance, shimming, no play.
    Last edited by Alex Stolpakov; 03-11-2020 at 09:28 AM.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  10. #4340  
    Senior Member Brian Pascale's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Silver Spring, Maryland
    Posts
    540
    Some possible captions:

    "Is that a stormtrooper in your hand or you just happy to see me?"

    "Surrender the stormtrooper and one on gets hurt!"

    "You see NOTHING!"



    How about "caption this!" eh?


    Sorry for the blue shirt Jarred, I am printing you a black one, but it's gotta come out perfect if I am going to use it.[/QUOTE]
    Komodo
    Brian Pascale
    Reply With Quote  
     

Posting Permissions
  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts