Click here to go to the first RED TEAM post in this thread.   Thread: KOMODO....

Reply to Thread
Page 75 of 683 FirstFirst ... 256571727374757677787985125175575 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by David Rasberry View Post
    There is still a side of Komodo yet to be revealed. The difference between Komodo and Raven is you will not need expensive DSMC accessories to build a working rig. I looked seriously at the Raven, but by the time I put together even a minimally functional field kit it was well over $10k.
    With Komodo i already have everything I need for a basic field package from other camera kits. Batteries and Beachtek preamp from my old Canon GL2, usable EVF from my Bolex, a set of Minolta MD lenses. Only need C-fast media and reader, MD to RC lens adapter, and an SDI to HDMI converter. Assuming Komodo comes in at $6k including the phone, I'm shooting for less than $7k.

I do think Hydrogen will be an essential piece of the kit.
    except with the Raven or SW you most likely will be able to do higher frame rates with less sensor cropping, its expandable for all dsmc2 accessories so that you can use it professionally in different situations. The expectations for this camera seem a bit ridiculous, i highly doubt it will have anamorphic capability, go above 60fps, probably limited compression(even the Raven's is limited) and probably be a cropped sensor if you want to shoot 4k, and 6k i bet fps are limited to 30fps. so like helium the sensor might get very small for any higher speed stuff. anyway, expectation is the root of unhappiness, so dont expect a lot and youll be fine. yes, komodo might wind up a tad bit cheaper, but have it's limitations im sure.

Quote Originally Posted by RJ_Ortiz View Post
    Since we're just waiting for more information at this point, I'm going to post my guess and thoughts:

6K RED-Only sensor (NOT Z-cam or OTS). S35+
    50FPS @ 6K, 96 @ 5K, 120 @ 4K (Windowed)
    15 Stops DR
    Dual ISO / IPP2
    R3D internal only to CFAST
    Only 3 pin start/stop pins on top. Remainder is cheeseplate / fans.
    Improved WIFI for remote settings control.
    Battery life of 5 hours on 2 Canon Batteries. Hot swappable.
    Larger fan(s) and quieter operation than its bigger brothers.
    Possible EXT cam controls through something like the SmallHD Cine 7.
    Price: $5799 MSRP, $4799 for H1 original owners.

I keep thinking about all of these wishlists and their target market segment. While I think it's a gateway camera for the ecosystem, I don't believe it is fully intended for new customers as much as existing ones. If it was meant to be a direct competitor to mirrorless/zcam/Pocket cams then I would think we would have seen in it in different influencer's hands. Instead, we're seeing it used on a film by Soderbergh starring Meryl Streep. This is to truly test it for reliability on critical productions. Big risk there with new tech. That's why I feel like it's intended to be used in addition to the current DSMC2 line as a b-cam or gimbal cam. Something that will be as reliable as their other cameras and produce similar IQ in a small package. It's not meant to replace them. It's meant to support them. Sure, some filmmakers will make it their A-Cam. I think that's the point of having Soderbergh test it the way he is. Proving that it can stand on its own so that you can trust it stand alongside your other gear.
    Two things in your specs wishlists that seems too good to be true to me (meaning that if it's actually there it's AWESOME) :
    - I don't think 6K will be beyond 36 fps at FF6K (24x1.5. Don't ask me why, it's just a gut feeling :p) and 60 fps at 6K 2.4:1
    - I don't think it will have dual ISO. (again : would be too good to be true... Please RED make me wrong ^_^)
    VIDEO EDITING - COLOR GRADING - VFX
    APPLE FINAL CUT PRO, AVID MEDIA COMPOSER
    ADOBE CREATIVE CLOUD, DAVINCI RESOLVE, REDCINE X PRO...

Jarred and co must be having a lot of fun monitoring the debates and conversations if they're not too busy working overnight troubleshooting and working out the kinks of the new camera on their favorite guinea pig's production shooting as we speak.

They throw us a few bones and we chew on them until they throw a few more... They sure like to do it that way, more fun for them isn't? ;) Imagine if they just announced everything all at once with specs and detailed images like other companies do...

In any case I hope they are listening and taking things in consideration. There has been valuable input here over these pages I believe.

Camera control and integration with accessories is on my mind a lot. I like how Teradek's RT MDR solutions integrate with the current RED lineup, offer camera control options and can also focus electronic lenses for a clean and light setup. Surely they must have thought about integrations such as this because they know people are gonna throw their Komodo on gimbals, drones, cars, planes, helmets you name it. With no modules expansion apparent, are we back at having a mess of addons rigged all over the place?
    I like to think third party products such as the SmallHD Cine 7 which promises integration with RED cameras will be able to connect and control our little cube. I like to think we'll be able to do those two things above simultaneously and it won't be one or the other (both would probably need the equivalent of a CTRL connector)

I like tactile buttons and controllers and their reliability compared to wireless solutions. I'd love to have an accessory similar to the Teradek RT ACI (with MDR integrated) built for Komodo. I think phones are great as a secondary way to control a camera but I hope it won't be the only way besides RED's own monitors. (Sometimes you just want a little EVF on there and off you go)

I secretly hope the new EXT connector does more than CTRL+SYNC. Ability to add control modules, split control outputs or "daisy chain" accessories so more than one can tap into the RCP protocol, perhaps add professional audio on this thing via XLR addon little box. And now I know I'm starting to dream but with cooling system from side to side it could even open up the options to create modules that would attach at the bottom (making the camera taller like its big brothers) so we could get proper audio, or a processing module that could allow higher frame rate capture. Like I said I'm dreamin' but all I'm saying is I see the potential for that new EXT port to offer a richer, improved and future proof way of dealing with expansion and accessory integration.

Senior Member Christoffer Glans's Avatar
    Here's what I think is really needed for Komodo to beat the competition and also be a professional choice, but still not be way over what is achievable.

- Minimum sensor size s35mm
    - Minimum 14 stops of DR
    - 6K FF at 50 fps (Similar to BlackMagic's Pocket 6K)
    - 6K UHD at 60 fps (Similar to the Pocket 6K)
    - Compression at least at 6:1 R3D at 24/25 fps 6K FF (Pocket 6K has 3:1 BRAW 6K)
    - Dual-ISO 800 and 3200 (Pocket 6K has it)
    - Genlock timecode (pretty basic)
    - Scratch sound mic (think it's already on the Komodo)
    - Dual CFast (instant backup is a basic feature on DSLRs now and would render backups on set irrelevant)
    - IPP2

Most of these match up with the pocket 6K, but on top of this, why the price gets higher ($6000) than the Pocket 6K ($2500) is the one stop more DR, Genlock, Dual CFast and reliability/built quality of Red's cameras.
    With the current competition, this list should not really be in the realm of wishful thinking. If you get most of all of this on the Pocket 6K for less than half the price of the Komodo, then that is the bottom line here.
    "Using any digital cinema camera today is like sending your 35mm rolls to a standard lab. -Using a Red is like owning a dark room."
    Red Weapon 6K #00600 Red Komodo #002397

I think you can forget about the Dual CFast.
    The pocket also has Q0 for compression.
    For more info on BRAW https://patents.google.com/patent/US...esign&sort=new

Quote Originally Posted by Misha Engel View Post
    I think you can forget about the Dual CFast.
    The pocket also has Q0 for compression.
    For more info on BRAW https://patents.google.com/patent/US...esign&sort=new
    Yeah but it's not a "real" log gamma curve. (When you compare BMD Film Log Curve to Arri's, RED's, Canon's [which is, admit it Canon : an Arri rip off :p] and Sony's it's not as flat and therefore has not the same lattitude)
    I'm not saying it's not a great product, just that it's different. ;)

Anyone have seen the short film shot on the new S1H from Panasonic ?
    Just came out : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MK8NvJ9pdKc

It looks pretty good (well, for a YouTube compressed 4K video). Really eager to have some news about KOMODO now ! Come on !
    VIDEO EDITING - COLOR GRADING - VFX
    APPLE FINAL CUT PRO, AVID MEDIA COMPOSER
    ADOBE CREATIVE CLOUD, DAVINCI RESOLVE, REDCINE X PRO...

So... Panasonic has just shown their S1H specs.
    Can we please get all the Komodo specs and release date :)

Quote Originally Posted by Christoffer Glans View Post
    Here's what I think is really needed for Komodo to beat the competition and also be a professional choice, but still not be way over what is achievable.

- Minimum 14 stops of DR
    Based on how RED measures dynamic range I think you should ask for at least 15-16
    I'm pretty sure under RED's criteria, the Pocket 4k has almost 14 stops

Senior Member Christoffer Glans's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Bastien Tribalat View Post
    Yeah but it's not a "real" log gamma curve. (When you compare BMD Film Log Curve to Arri's, RED's, Canon's [which is, admit it Canon : an Arri rip off :p] and Sony's it's not as flat and therefore has not the same lattitude)
    I'm not saying it's not a great product, just that it's different. ;)

Anyone have seen the short film shot on the new S1H from Panasonic ?
    Just came out : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MK8NvJ9pdKc

It looks pretty good (well, for a YouTube compressed 4K video). Really eager to have some news about KOMODO now ! Come on !
    Yeah, the compression and their problematic gamma export on that file is pretty bad, but the rest looks promising.

Quote Originally Posted by Mathias Erichsen View Post
    So... Panasonic has just shown their S1H specs.
    Can we please get all the Komodo specs and release date :)
    Looks promising, no internal RAW though, BM has the Panasonic beat in that area. Going to be interesting what Komodo delivers.
    "Using any digital cinema camera today is like sending your 35mm rolls to a standard lab. -Using a Red is like owning a dark room."
    Red Weapon 6K #00600 Red Komodo #002397

Quote Originally Posted by Christoffer Glans View Post
    Yeah, the compression and their problematic gamma export on that file is pretty bad, but the rest looks promising.
    How can you tell there's a problem with the gamma?