Click here to go to the first RED TEAM post in this thread.   Thread: KOMODO....

Reply to Thread
Page 577 of 611 FirstFirst ... 77477527567573574575576577578579580581587 ... LastLast
Results 5,761 to 5,770 of 6107
    Prosumer cameras that shoot to H264 or HEVC tend to apply a bit of sharpening to footage written out to these formats.

If you can’t find good looking Komodo footage you aren’t looking very hard. Jared has posted countless great examples on his IG. Soderbergh’s film LET THEM ALL TALK shot on Komodo should be out this year and I’m sure will look amazing.

Not to mention the camera isn’t feature complete yet and I’m sure there are still tweaks to be made. The beauty of RAW footage has always been the ability to deal with footage pre sharpening and control it to your own taste.

Quote Originally Posted by David Rasberry View Post
    I expected this cooling tunnel design months ago when the body design was first revealed. Electronics mounted to heat sinks on all four sides of the tunnel are still hermetically sealed off from the outside environment. No exposure to dust and moisture. Fans are the only vulnerable electronics.

The elegant sophistication of Komodo's engineering, mechanically, electronically, and visually with its imagery becomes more apparent every day.
    Yeah I was super excited when I took a look through the side of the camera. I wouldn’t imagine the electronics are quite well protected (and more importantly shielded from the cooling. If Komodo inhales a big cloud of dust it will likely be able to spit it out the other side. A straight through design like this is really smart just from a thermal and airflow standpoint as well. The more the fan shrouds and pathway are sealed up the more the airflow can be carefully controlled and avoid unnecessary turbulence.

The new Mac Pro is a great example of this as well. Internals are extremely simple and are mostly just massive heat sinks with fan shrouds and outer casing forming a seal that creates negative pressure. When the air has nowhere else it can leak into and has nowhere to go but out the exhaust, it goes out the exhaust and does so in a hurry.

I would love to see the thermal CFD for Komodo’s cooling system.

Senior Member Christoffer Glans's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Dease View Post
    Uhe that wasn't the video I posted. Im saying all the videos from Komodo look like gauze is in front of the sensor. Sony may look plastic but it looks extremely clear.

It has to do with the OLPF or sensor or?

Please show me a clear sharp Komodo video.

Curtis Boggs and Phil come best so far.
    There are so many other factors that are important for a look. In-camera, you have shutter speeds, ISO and OLPFs applied etc. and in post you have post-sharpening, mid-tone contrasts and DR handling. On top of that you need to factor in shooting location and especially lens choices. If you shoot with a cheap lens at wide open you will get a blurry look and if the target is moving or camera is moving you will never have any sharp objects in frame at all.

None of this has to do with the sensor really. Closest would be how the OLPF is handling stuff, but as I gather you don't have an OLPF on the Sony if you're talking about the A7s?

Bottom line, DSLRs process their video into HEVC form with in-camera sharpening and no OLPFs. They're not really made for video, it's marketing since they know they will sell more cameras if they include good video capabilities. It's the same as selling more TV's based on extremely over-sharped colorful 60fps 4K videos in stores on sale-calibrated TVs.

It's an illusion and Komodo is not selling the illusion, it's selling on the features and specs that matter for video.

Then you need to factor in that there are plenty of people who have money to buy cameras but aren't anywhere near competent cinematographers. Shooting badly lit, un-optimized situations, with no post-processing understanding other than "directly out of the camera". Seriously, all the videos which claim "directly out of the camera" seem to miss that the post-process of Red footage is a crucial part of the process and a major point of the workflow. All while using cheap lenses at apertures where the glass quality falls apart.

In contrast to that, there are also plenty of buyers who apply outdated pink/teal/orange/teal LUTs slapped onto the material for that "hazy" awful look that feels like a bad trip or peak norovirus symptoms when watching it. While shooting at 2K 120 fps and have no clue what supersampling does.

Most people aren't really photographers or cinematographers, they have money and can point a camera in a direction. They have very basic understanding of how to get exposure. If you want to see good material that was handled by true masters, then you need to search for those people's work. There's a reason why 2K Arri Alexa footage on a 2K lieMAX screen looks fantastically sharp and nice... they know what they're doing behind those scenes.

Can't wait to get my hands on the Hydrogen discount version and do some proper sharp and balanced test footage in the same way as any real-world gig would demand of me.
    "Using any digital cinema camera today is like sending your 35mm rolls to a standard lab. -Using a Red is like owning a dark room."
    Red Weapon 6K #00600

Uhe that wasn't the video I posted. Im saying all the videos from Komodo look like gauze is in front of the sensor. Sony may look plastic but it looks extremely clear.

It has to do with the OLPF or sensor or?

Please show me a clear sharp Komodo video.

Curtis Boggs and Phil come best so far.

It's NOT the camera, it's operator errors or guys who aren't colorists applying their own post to these images. I've seen the same things you're talking about and as someone who owns a komodo and has been shooting tests with it for the past 2 days, I can tell you the image is super super clean and sharp.

I see a lot of guys that rush to shoot and make mistakes without cleaning lenses properly, cleaning filters properly, using subpar filters or lenses to shoot... It's been a mix. Look at Curtis Boggs beach video with the female model. Extremely sharp, clear, proper colors, the whole lot. I'm doing tests on my Nikon Vista Primes and will be posting those later next week, but even with these vintage rehoused lenses, you get super sharp clean images. The IPP2 image formula is one that doesnt play nice with 3rd party luts as well.

no, your eyes are not screwed. Yes I've seen the SAME issues with images from Komodo at the start. NO it's NOT the camera, it is operator based, but I'm seeing just beautiful footage out of mine, and Ive seen great stuff here and there from others as well.
    Cinematographer and gaffer for 16 years. Working in TV and feature films.

Authorized dealer for over 100 brands of Audio / Video gear and accessories including Teradek, Vazen, Tokina, AngelBird, Black Magic Design, Oconnor, Anton Bauer, SmallHD, Steadicam, Litepanels, Sachtler, and more!

GEAR: Arri Alexa XR 4:3 PLUS, RED Komodo Stormtrooper, Cooke 20-100, RED Pro Primes, RED 17-50.

Reels and info:
    www.NYCinematography.com

CEO of sales company:
    www.EverestStudios.TV

I have said it before. The best way to get an idea of what Komodo is capable of is to download RCX and the R3D samples posted. Play around with it for yourself. Like saturated, sharp, and high contrast? Grade it that way. One can spend hours exploring the infinite range of possibilities in a single frame.

Sony A7III? I see the same blown highlights, blocked shadows, and limited color palettes common to all subsampled compressed video.
    You can’t see Komodo’s potential on Youtube videos.

Generally lenses or filtration give image character. Im sure there is an explanation why BM Sony and even Canon look clear and Komodo looks like double image overlaid the image, or haze. Perhaps limitations of red sensor methodology? I dont want baked in haze with every shoot.
    Reading up how Canon does their global shutter with good dynamic range, you maybe on to something. (It is pretty similar to HDRx, but the shorter exposed track is sampled through out the longer exposed track per frame.) I am not saying this is how RED achieves the dynamic range in the Komodo, but it is how Canon does it.

And again, I personally LOVE the look of Komodo's image.
    Scarlet-X #2034 "Bea"

The funniest thing about much of this is the first shot of Matt's clip shows you all something amazing.
    Phil Holland - Cinematographer - Los Angeles

2X RED Monstro 8K VV Bodies and a lot of things to use with them.

Data Sheets and Notes:
    Red Weapon/DSMC2
    Red Dragon

I'm curious if this shot by Dominic Barbero has the so-called "haze"? If you're not part of the Komodo Facebook Group, you may not be able to see that link. I think it looks clean and sharp and filmic.

https://www.facebook.com/photo?fbid=...56787308537685

Quote Originally Posted by Phil Holland View Post
    The funniest thing about much of this is the first shot of Matt's clip shows you all something amazing.

Shooting into the sun yet amazing shadow details in the rest of the image?

Quote Originally Posted by Phil Holland View Post
    The highlight rolloff from the sun into the haze around it is so beautifully smooth. I hit pause and just had to stare at it a while.
    "If it can be written or thought, it can be filmed" -- Stanley Kubrick

8K Weapon VV Monstro #1882 --Sus Volantes
    6K RED Epic-M