Click here to go to the first RED TEAM post in this thread.   Thread: KOMODO....

Reply to Thread
Page 576 of 611 FirstFirst ... 76476526566572573574575576577578579580586 ... LastLast
Results 5,751 to 5,760 of 6107
    Quote Originally Posted by David Rasberry View Post
    Did you read the notes on the video? Output tone map high, highlight rolloff very soft, no color correction. Hazy location. if you are trying to nail a characteristic look for the camera, this isn't one. That sort of is the point of a digital cinema camera. It isn't video. It is a blank creative palette.
    Uhe that wasn't the video I posted. Im saying all the videos from Komodo look like gauze is in front of the sensor. Sony may look plastic but it looks extremely clear.

It has to do with the OLPF or sensor or?

Please show me a clear sharp Komodo video.

Curtis Boggs and Phil come best so far.

Its funny you use the word plastic, because I could not think of a word that described this footage, but "plastic" may be the right word. I am very unimpressed with the look coming off this sensor. I hate to say it but the new Black Magic looks a lot better to my eyes.
    Director/DP at GetGrimm
    New York

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Dease View Post
    Note sure if your being serious.

But I am asking why it is so hazy always. Like a plastic diffusion haze over sensor. It’s a real question. There have been few pieces of good footage I think you’re joking maybe with this Venice thing.
    I'm not joking. That footage is great. I mean he's shooting at sunset of course there's haze.

I don't like super sharp images so its fine with me. I don't like the look of sony cameras at all. Way too sharp. You could cut someone with it its so sharp.
    Documentary Cinematographer - NYC Based

Quote Originally Posted by Adam D. Ouellette View Post
    I'm not joking. That footage is great. I mean he's shooting at sunset of course there's haze.

I don't like super sharp images so its fine with me. I don't like the look of sony cameras at all. Way too sharp. You could cut someone with it its so sharp.

Generally lenses or filtration give image character. I’m sure there is an explanation why BM Sony and even Canon look clear and Komodo looks like double image overlaid the image, or haze. Perhaps limitations of red sensor methodology? I don’t want baked in haze with every shoot.

Generally lenses or filtration give image character. I’m sure there is an explanation why BM Sony and even Canon look clear and Komodo looks like double image overlaid the image, or haze. Perhaps limitations of red sensor methodology? I don’t want baked in haze with every shoot.
    I am aware. You think Tim's arial footage still looks hazy? I have the camera in my hands and none of the images look hazy. I've got the shittiest old garbage lens on it and its super sharp. To some degree I get what you're saying, but I think its more of an issue of people not being acquainted with the post workflow in some cases and in others people not taking time to get to know the camera before posting footage. I think you need to wait a few months before you can actually get an idea if you like it or not.

Do you own a red already?
    Last edited by Adam D. Ouellette; 08-01-2020 at 07:39 PM.
    Documentary Cinematographer - NYC Based

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Contrast_(vision)

Komodo defaults at the moment to IPP2 Low Contrast/Soft Highlight Roll-Off.

Start there. It's a deep yet simple workflow.

You own a Helium if I'm not mistaken. Tinker with that.
    Phil Holland - Cinematographer - Los Angeles

2X RED Monstro 8K VV Bodies and a lot of things to use with them.

Data Sheets and Notes:
    Red Weapon/DSMC2
    Red Dragon

Quote Originally Posted by Brad Grimm View Post
    Its funny you use the word plastic, because I could not think of a word that described this footage, but "plastic" may be the right word. I am very unimpressed with the look coming off this sensor. I hate to say it but the new Black Magic looks a lot better to my eyes.
    This is funny to me, because I see it as one of the most organic looking sensors out there. It looks more natural than most other sensors on the market IMHO. I find it so odd that some love this sensor and others hate it.
    Scarlet-X #2034 "Bea"

Outside of the sample clip Phil has uploaded are there any other R3Ds to download? Any owners out there who like the camera able to upload to R3D clips or even just snapshots?

Phil's R3D for download looks great, but there really is a lot of awful footage being uploaded.

Quote Originally Posted by Christian Jadot View Post
    This is funny to me, because I see it as one of the most organic looking sensors out there. It looks more natural than most other sensors on the market IMHO. I find it so odd that some love this sensor and others hate it.
    Its all just a matter of taste at this point with all these cameras. Dragon, Monstro are my two favorite Red sensors. They have a very filmic look to them. This thing really gives me more "video" vibes, but again its just a matter of taste.
    Director/DP at GetGrimm
    New York

Generally lenses or filtration give image character. Iím sure there is an explanation why BM Sony and even Canon look clear and Komodo looks like double image overlaid the image, or haze. Perhaps limitations of red sensor methodology? I donít want baked in haze with every shoot.
    Could be because much of whatís been posted so far is shot around LA and it is hazy.
    But it is worth remembering that the firmware is not finished yet.

BM cameras donít have OLPFís. To me they have a hard edged crunchy look.

For the few r3d frames I have played with in RCX so far it seems like you can make them look like anything you want given a little time to tinker and learn the camera. Tim Daustís footage looks pretty crisp depending on grade.

Personally I really like the way the IQ is shaping up. Like it better than anything else in itís price class that I have had samples to play with.