Click here to go to the first RED TEAM post in this thread.   Thread: KOMODO....

Reply to Thread
Page 573 of 611 FirstFirst ... 73473523563569570571572573574575576577583 ... LastLast
Results 5,721 to 5,730 of 6107
    Quote Originally Posted by Jonathan Keane View Post
    I have a feeling we might see normal production models towards the end of August. Look how many stormtroopers they have been pumping out, all I see on IG is more people posting pictures of their komodo and Jarred personally handing people their cameras (pretty cool)
    It seemed like for awhile it was an orange one here a yellow one there not much going on then BOOM! You get a stormtrooper! you get a stormtrooper!
    I think the red team has picked up speed and we might get lucky. Of course this can all change if covid gets worse.
    I hope your right. Of course CoVID could change things, but the IG updates from Jarred have been astounding. It sounds like there is a long ST list yet to get through, but it might not take more than a few weeks to get through those. If they can wrap up production versions of the firmware and other bits, it does seem possible that black Komodos could start being produced in August and getting to customers in late August or September. I'm crossing my fingers.

Now, I just need to go buy a bunch of media and storage. At 835GB/hr in MQ I'm going to need it!
    Epic-W #376 (stolen)

So in this video, you need a device with WiFi?

Can it transmit to iPad w/o or...?

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=XsbCdBcA3BU

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Dease View Post
    So in this video, you need a device with WiFi?

Can it transmit to iPad w/o or...?

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=XsbCdBcA3BU
    Yes you need a device with wifi. All iPad's have wifi so I don't see why this would be an issue. You might be asking if it requires cellular which in that case it does not. The komodo creates its own wifi network and then you can access video feed or control through the new app Red Control.

Quote Originally Posted by Jacob Tsering View Post
    Yes you need a device with wifi. All iPad's have wifi so I don't see why this would be an issue. You might be asking if it requires cellular which in that case it does not. The komodo creates its own wifi network and then you can access video feed or control through the new app Red Control.
    Aren’t iPads the best monitors resolution wise? Retina displays?
    Does it hardwire connect?

Aren’t iPads the best monitors resolution wise? Retina displays?
    Does it hardwire connect?
    There is no way to physically hardwire the connection.At that point just connect the SDI to a solid monitor. The iPad is a good display but over wifi you're never gonna get an image that is truly comparable to the actual image due to limitations of streaming and the crazy bitrate the cameras record at.

Quote Originally Posted by Bastien Tribalat View Post
    .... SNIP
    But still, for a solo shooter who does client work in the corporate and/or weddings side of things, it's not the most reasonnable tool. :p

Why not?
    Save the Sharks
    RED Komodo soon. Original Manufacturer of RedOne & Epic/Scarlet/Weapon Underwater housings - contact us for sale or rent. RED owner since REDONE SN206. Manufacturer of Eye2Eye direct eye contact interviewing rig. 954.937.6600 (send a text first-having to use spam blocker these days) ... aquavideo1 at yahoo.com

Yeah, I'd be curious when we see the first wave of the black (regular) Komodo's go out to the private list. Then, eventually we start to see them on B&H and other resellers.
    always learning,

d.

Phil said there is no removable OLPF I belief but can anyone confirm? What is it like without the lens?

OLPF is... glued to sensor? this time?

Phil said there is no removable OLPF I belief but can anyone confirm? What is it like without the lens?

OLPF is... glued to sensor? this time?
    No. It's mounted firmly via hardware at not quick release or removable like the larger cameras.

Komodo has a new OLPF, and candidly as I don't cuss much, it's fucking good. Like really good.

I messaged Jarred within a few hours of shooting, like day 1, when I picked up my Komodo and immediately asked if this could be implemented in DSMC2 cameras, but it appears it's a combination of several technologies unique to Komodo. Which mainly gives us hope that this is the potential direction of DSMC3 as well.

I wrote about this in my thread, but several things that this does.

The OLPF, or likely a better way to look at things is the optical path of the camera, has a Low Pass/Anti-Aliasing Filter as well as a Color Science Filter designed to pass through, tweak, block, absorb, cut, or reflect various wavelengths of light. Mainly where this is super important is dealing with Infrared Contamination, but Ultra Violet is also dealt with as well as the rest of spectrum.

Komodo itself has an underlying color calibration and very likely the sensor and CSF was also designed in tandem to get this level of performance.

What this solves is the "Deep Aperture Red Orbs" we have seen over the years. This is a first for RED Digital Cinema Cameras and still something that plagues other camera systems as well.

In terms of colorimetry this new Komodo CSF is closer to the color response of the Skin Tone - Highlight OLPF from what I can discern, that's also a good thing as that filter led to the best color out of the current DSMC2 and DSMC bodies. Interestingly this tells me that Komodo is actually pretty low light sensitive potentially considering it's performance at higher ISOs like 3200.

This does make me wonder if DSMC3 will have Interchangeable OLPFs, I still see that as a creative and technical choice. But this new design solves so many technical issues and opens the world of deep aperture filmmaking back up for people who have have been dancing around this on various systems over the years.

The additional benefit of this filter, which is also similar to the STH though better, is the alarmingly pleasing highlight roll-off at full clip as seen here. There is a new characteristic to an orb in the lens flare, but in a world without a magenta dot grid pattern beating up my images as well as a pretty roll-off like this, hell, I'm cool with this. There's one other system out there that does something similar that render this in a white orb, which I think is a little nasty as that looks a bit not like a normal lens flare.

This makes me think Komodo Monochrome, whenever that goes down, is likely going to be something like an ISO 2000-32000 Base and will be scary good in low light without this filter.

For those new to the RED ecosystem, or just a digital cinema camera that utilizes tech like this. With the previous/current OLPFs they all have underlying calibration, which is most noticeable when examining the color of the absolute Noise Floor (i.e. pure black under exposed). Komodo's calibration with this new CSF sides a bit on the reddish side if you shoot a lens cap black and boost the NF to 5-10 IRE at ISO 12800 or higher, which is similar to how the STH renders the abyss.

Interestingly for those familiar with actual film, Density Floor DMin (native film base noise) seems somewhat similar in character to Vision 3 250D at the blackest black. Probably not relevant to most, but if you know you know.

*edit, yes I reflected light to illuminate my nose hair with the sun flare. These are pandemic inspired solutions while I doddle around with loaves of bread on my feet.
    Phil Holland - Cinematographer - Los Angeles

2X RED Monstro 8K VV Bodies and a lot of things to use with them.

Data Sheets and Notes:
    Red Weapon/DSMC2
    Red Dragon

So when Komodo comes out in the black models, will they instantly sell out, or will the supply be consistent enough to keep up with demand.

LOL I guess I just want to know how fast I should be refreshing the RED website. My typing speed is pretty good at around 92 WPM so I should be able get my information punched in on time but there is just this undeniable fear deep within me that I might miss the cutoff if they sell out.

I just hope we get like 24 hours notice to get ready for the drop lol
    DoP at Cortex Films
    Calgary, Alberta