View Poll Results: Which cameras color do you prefer form the Full Frame Cinema Shootout 2020

Voters
73. You may not vote on this poll

54 73.97%

2 2.74%

9 12.33%

2 2.74%

0 0%

1 1.37%

3 4.11%

1 1.37%

1 1.37%

Click here to go to the first RED TEAM post in this thread.   Thread: Full Frame Cinema Shootout 2020...

Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 20 FirstFirst ... 234567891016 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Patrick Tresch View Post
    As always Monstro has been over exposed.
    Next time expos it at 800 iso and put an ND3
    The Monstro was exposed properly based on a waveform at 800 ISO which is it's recommended base/native starting point. This test makes no conclusion about actual DR, Phil Holland and many others have very clearly stated the measurable DR and if you use the ETTR method and protect your highlights then it's a non issue. I was more interested in seeing how all these cams looked at the edge of their performance envelope, the fact that two of these cams have more recoverable highlight in RAW is simply a matter of where the manufacturers decide to set the mid point. I was also quite surprised at the recovery cause all the available meters on those two cameras indicated they were clipping as well. That says alot about the accuracy of the RED meters since they were pretty much the only RAW meters that gave me a truly accurate clip indication.
    Last edited by Evin Grant; 02-04-2020 at 03:40 PM.
    "All art is deception."

My DP reel...
    http://www.evingrantdp.com
    360º Cinematography and camera rigs...
    http://www.360dop.com

Quote Originally Posted by Evin Grant View Post
    The Monstro was exposed properly based on a waveform at 800 ISO which is it's recommended base/native starting point. This test makes no conclusion about actual DR, Phil Holland and many others have very clearly stated the measurable DR and if you use the ETTR method and protect your highlights then it's a non issue. I was more interested in seeing how all these cams looked at the edge of their performance envelope, the fact that two of these cams have more recoverable highlight in RAW is simply a matter of where the manufacturers decide to set the mid point. I was also quite surprised at the recovery cause all the available meters on those two cameras indicated they were clipping as well. That says alot about the accuracy of the RED meters since they were pretty much the only RAW meters that gave we a truly accurate clip indication.
    I actually think this is an interesting display of different approaches.
    Life is good. So is RED...

http://quine.no

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick Tresch View Post
    As always Monstro has been over exposed.
    Next time expos it at 800 iso and put an ND3
    How do you know which is Monstro?
    Nick Morrison
    Founder, Director & Lead Creative
    // SMALL GIANT //
    smallgiant.tv

Senior Member David J. Buchanan's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Nick Morrison View Post
    How do you know which is Monstro?

They're really good guessers.
    BLACK - Now on Amazon!
    Corporate G&E Package
    Monstro, Zeiss Otus 28, 55, 85
    davidjbuchanan.com | wecofilms.com

Interesting test. Thanks for posting Evan. Difficult to compare a lot of aspects, but my initial guesses:

1) Monstro probably, it's the clear 2nd place getter after Camera 7.
    4) Sigma FP I think, not really usable to my mind
    5) Sony FX9 in S-Cinetone mode I suspect
    7) Alexa Mini LF I think, based on the colour consistency (its general dominance in all of the tests is impressive)

Basically it looks to me like outside of the Alexa LF and whatever Camera No. 1 is (I'm guessing Monstro) and barring the inferior FP and Rec709 recording from the FX9, the rest are all functioning at basically the same level.

I'd say the big take-home is that you certainly get what you pay at the extremes of the image.

Dudes, it's not about guessing which camera is which, it's about your favourite. :)

Senior Member David J. Buchanan's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark K. View Post
    Interesting test. Thanks for posting Evan. Difficult to compare a lot of aspects, but my initial guesses:

1) Monstro probably, it's the clear 2nd place getter after Camera 7.
    4) Sigma FP I think, not really usable to my mind
    5) Sony FX9 in S-Cinetone mode I suspect
    7) Alexa Mini LF I think, based on the colour consistency (its general dominance in all of the tests is impressive)

Basically it looks to me like outside of the Alexa LF and whatever Camera No. 1 is (I'm guessing Monstro) and barring the inferior FP and Rec709 recording from the FX9, the rest are all functioning at basically the same level.

I'd say the big take-home is that you certainly get what you pay at the extremes of the image.
    Everyone else thinks camera number 1 is an Alexa... if it's a Monstro then I'm a happy camper.
    BLACK - Now on Amazon!
    Corporate G&E Package
    Monstro, Zeiss Otus 28, 55, 85
    davidjbuchanan.com | wecofilms.com

I'm with Hrvoje that this is more of a real-world test and this is more of a demonstration of manufacturer's display transformation and less of a measure of the quality of image that each one is capable of getting. Though the +/-6 stops test is a good indicator of what is happening in the signal at those extremes.

Alexa is still king for many reasons. Monstro is damn close. Hell, I still love my Helium. Interesting times -- like Jarred said, it's a good time to be a shooter. These are all very capable machines. Sigma fp might need a little more finesse in the color suite for something that I'd consider "pleasing."

Quote Originally Posted by luigivaltulini View Post
    Study test:

1. Alexa mini lf
    2. Canon 500ii
    3. Red monstro
    4. Sigma
    5. Fx9 cinetone?
    6. FX9 log3?
    7. Venice
    8. Gemini
    9. Helium
    I came to a similar conclusion. But I'd say swap the cinetone and slog3 and you're there. The bottom end saturation and clipped blacks on #5 screams third-party LUT. And Cinetone is supposed to be Sony's implementation of Venice color on the FX9 so 6 and 7 are pretty damn similar on the scopes.

Quote Originally Posted by David J. Buchanan View Post
    Everyone else thinks camera number 1 is an Alexa... if it's a Monstro then I'm a happy camper.
    With that slight magenta tint in the daylight test, and the muddier colour in the underexposure test? I don't think #1 is Alexa. My money's on #7.

Monstro is not number 3, the low light sodium vapor is far to noisy.
    Director/DP at GetGrimm
    New York