Click here to go to the first RED TEAM post in this thread.   Thread: How many accessories can you power with your Gemini?

Reply to Thread
  1. #1 How many accessories can you power with your Gemini? 
    I've got a Gemini at work and I'm trying to figure out how many accessories I can confidently provide power to while using a single Gold Mount battery.

I use 140Wh 14.4v Blueshape Granite Minis and 150Wh CoreSWXs. Ideally the accessories I'd like to be able to use simultaneously are the Tilta Nucleus-M FZ motors, Teradek ACE 500 TX, and a Beachtek DXA-RED audio module (feeding phantom power to a Sennheiser MKH416).

Besides plugging blindly how do I figure out if I'm going to be drawing too much power? And do you all have preferences on where and how you power accessories?

It's def. in OK limits. Usually I feed on my Scarlet MX a TV-Logic 058W (often two), a Teradek Bolt 1000 XT, a FF (be it Tilta, Arri, RT Motion or other) - and it's fine using batteries more than 100Wh. It depends on battery provided though - the more AMPS your battery feeds, the more accessories you can feed of it. Anything in range of 140-200 Wh will be fine, while your battery will drain from 20 to 40% faster.

You can find-out how much does Gemini actually use by ticking the remaining battery on the screen. Anyways, here's the math explained:
    https://www.linkedin.com/pulse/amp-h...alkuran-ph-d-/
    Last edited by Alex Lubensky; 01-30-2020 at 11:12 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Alex Lubensky View Post
    It's def. in OK limits....
    That's great to hear. I had a scare recently with an accessory and the camera rebooting and it made me question what I thought I knew.

4.   This is the last RED TEAM post in this thread.   #4  
    Quote Originally Posted by Samuel S View Post
    That's great to hear. I had a scare recently with an accessory and the camera rebooting and it made me question what I thought I knew.
    Another thing to keep in mind is that as your battery drains the voltage decreases and the current draw increases so you'll have less and less headroom for the system once as your battery nears empty. If you are using an accessory that can cause a temporary spike in current draw (like a high torque lens motor during a quick focus rack), then you could potentially get close to the battery's current limit where it may not be able to provide enough current to power the whole system. You can test your battery's limits and monitor the total system's current draw by tapping into the camera's Power In menu. If you have multiple accessories attached to different Aux Power ports, then you can also monitor those independently via the Power Out menu, which is on the next tab in the menu. The Aux Power ports on RED modules have their respective current limits engraved near each port so you can see if any of your accessories are nearing the rated limit for the power port, but in the event of an overcurrent situation the port will trip and you'll get a UI pop up letting you know that the port needs to be reset.

If you notice any strange behavior where the system is still giving you power issues even with a full battery or with a very low current draw, please feel free to contact our Support team so they can take a deeper dive with you.