Thread: How to void your camera warranty part II

Reply to Thread
  1. #1 How to void your camera warranty part II 
    Matt Fleming - VFX, Matchmoving, & CGI

IMDB credits

Back in 1995, when building our home, we installed a geothermal heat pump. When drilling the holes for the coils, we hit surface water at 23 feet deep, which was great. Water to water is the absolute best conductor to transfer heat, versus simply water to soil.

That's what this reminds me of. It'd be like carrying around our house.

Instead of that butt-ugly fan on the side of the camera, Linus should make an underwater housing that allows the radiator to sit on the outside of the housing. Water-to-water all day. Then he just needs to move his lab to the bottom of a lake. What could possibly go wrong after that
    Michael Tiemann, Chapel Hill NC

"Dream so big you can share!"

It's almost a Blackmagic "big" URSA which appears to have a Peltier module on the back of the sensor which is in turn connected thermally to a passive fluid system and a heat exchanger computer-style with a slow fan. Very quiet. It hits a wall at 4K though.

Quote Originally Posted by Robert Hart View Post
    It's almost a Blackmagic "big" URSA which appears to have a Peltier module on the back of the sensor which is in turn connected thermally to a passive fluid system and a heat exchanger computer-style with a slow fan. Very quiet. It hits a wall at 4K though.
    All the Ursa cameras are cooled with peltier modules, as well as the Alexa (not sure about the more recent ones, but they at least used to be.) The peltier is sandwiched between the sensor and a heatsink, it's not so much to keep it cool as it is to pull the heat away faster.
    MadlyFX Special Effects
    Chicago, IL
    IMDb
    andy@madlyfx.com

I know its all for views and clicks and most likely worth it for this young guy to exploit and jack up his RED but I'm just left with a knot in my stomach for some reason...

Quote Originally Posted by Andy Jarosz View Post
    All the Ursa cameras are cooled with peltier modules, as well as the Alexa (not sure about the more recent ones, but they at least used to be.) The peltier is sandwiched between the sensor and a heatsink, it's not so much to keep it cool as it is to pull the heat away faster.

So that's how they've managed to keep the sensor temp steady on Alexa. Wish somesthing like this was on my Red, so I don't have to calibrate the sensor at winter every time you change the environment.