Thread: Broken 512GB minimags - No repair option?

Reply to Thread
  1. #1 Broken 512GB minimags - No repair option? 
    Hi everyone.
    Our small production house here in Denmark took a deep dive into the RED world and bought a used Monstro kit this fall. In the kit there were 2x 512GB minimags that we were told did not work, but we could of course get them repaired I was told.
    BUT it seems like we CAN'T them repaired. I thought the service in RED territory would be great - we are talking very expensive cine cams and the minimags aren't exactly cheap - but I have written a couple of the service centers that are RED certified here in Europe and the only reply I got was:

"Sorry to disappoint you but unless in warranty the Minimags canít be repaired by us."

Is this really true? Two very expensive minimags - basically SSD's in a proprietary enclosure - can't be fixed? It's either the SSD or the controller that's broken and I can't imagine the spare parts cost more than a 100 dollar/euro.

/Thor
    Denmark

Should be straight forward to repair yourself. Type RedMag into Youtube to find many videos covering this topic and the controversy surrounding RedMags.

Quote Originally Posted by Tim Pfautsch View Post
    Should be straight forward to repair yourself. Type RedMag into Youtube to find many videos covering this topic and the controversy surrounding RedMags.
    Please try to find someone who has successfully done this. That video leaves out some crucial info and quite misleading.

VFX, Cinematographer, Photographer
    10 frame handles
    Vimeo
    Instagram

Saw your post online and you stated you reached out to some EU or UK service center. They can be fixed and I'd recommend emailing RED support if going that route, though probably not a timely solution.

Also, I saw the picture/post on Facebook and you purchased them knowing they were broken and in extremely bad shape as well as out of warranty. I don't know what landmine blast those experienced, but I would recommend in the future not purchasing gear that literally looks like it went through an explosion no matter how good the deal.
    Phil Holland - Cinematographer - Los Angeles

2X RED Monstro 8K VV Bodies and a lot of things to use with them.

Data Sheets and Notes:
    Red Weapon/DSMC2
    Red Dragon

Quote Originally Posted by Tim Pfautsch View Post
    Sorry, but this is completely incorrect. The parts are actually hard to come by, and more importantly they are useless without validation that only Red can legally perform.

A side note of caution: I've seen Jinnitech offering to 'clone' users' redmags... the validation data is tied to the media serial number, so they duplicate the serial number and validation code pair together onto a new SSD.
    Apart from being an arguably dishonest process, you lose the valuable traceability of serialised media and also break the warranty on the new media.

I also question the motivation for Jinnitech to gain access your media serial and validation code pair. Its likely not as altruistic as it seems.
    KipperTie - Authorised RED Rental, Pinewood Studios, UK
    Ready to hire: Monstro 8K VV | Gemini 5K | Helium Monochrome 8K
    Check out our Revolva ND solution, OLPFs and other products

Wish for 2020

End SSD drama

Cheap media for all