Thread: Filters for a vintage lens look?

Reply to Thread
  1. #1 Filters for a vintage lens look? 
    So I use black promist 1/8 and 1/4 alot for subtle look. I also recently got set of Sigma Cine FF primes and there super clean and sharp. Which is great as a workhorse lens for majority of my work.

But I was looking at vintage lens look and the Sigma Cine Classic and want a more stylized look from time to time. Is there a filter that can give more of the uncoated and vintage lens look especially with flares? Or is it that can only get that look with the lens itself.

Senior Member Karim D. Ghantous's Avatar
    I had the idea once of using a stack of vintage filters. I have not yet done that, but it could be worth investigating. My hope was to get some kind of occasional veiling flare and so on. Here's one example:

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/AS-IS-Ze...YAAOSwBfhcCJ0T

Some people reverse front elements, or get all the elements de-coated. Might be worth doing on cheap lenses.
    Good production values may not be noticed. Bad production values will be.
    Pinterest
    | Flickr | Instagram | Martini Ultra (blog)

Any one with experience with the Bronze Glimmer Glass? Looking at 1/4 and 1/2 test from Tiffen feels like closest thing to what I am looking for in a filter. to give vintage lens look. But I can't find much about them.

Glimmer glas, Hollywood black magic and chocolate filter... Then clean is far gone. I often wish used more filters, rarely the opposite. But to me, doing it in post is not always a bad option or at least a good compliment to get an old / vintage look. Here is some frames from my latest project where I used a 20mm sigma with I think I ended up using a 1/4 glimmer glas infront, which does not do much wished I used more, but it at least added little halos on highlights and such. Then of curse I graded / posted it to look more old with a bit of offset colors etc.

PastedGraphic-6 by Björn Benckert, on Flickr

PastedGraphic-7 by Björn Benckert, on Flickr

PastedGraphic-9 by Björn Benckert, on Flickr

PastedGraphic-10 by Björn Benckert, on Flickr

PastedGraphic-11 by Björn Benckert, on Flickr
    Björn Benckert
    Creative Lead & Founder Syndicate Entertainment AB
    +46855524900 www.syndicate.se/axis
    VFX / Flame / Motion capture / Monstro

I use glimmer glass on pretty much everything I shoot comerically... the bronze version I keep meaning to pick up as they do warm and dirty up the higlights nicely...

The Sigmas are very crisps lenses so I think it will be a useful combo... the issue with the Tiffen tests (but they are great tests) is that it can lead you to think to buy only just 1 or 2 strengths. From you mentioning you liked the 1/4 and 1/2 I would suggest you try and also get the 1/8 and if you can the 1

Look into a kippertie olpf for some softening and halation. https://www.kippertie.com/kt/

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Lindsay View Post
    I use glimmer glass on pretty much everything I shoot comerically... the bronze version I keep meaning to pick up as they do warm and dirty up the higlights nicely...
    Tiffen Glimmer Glass can create some really amazing looks. I've often told clients, "this is a look that would be hard to do in post." You basically have to shoot it that way.

Promist we can do to a point. I think a lot of stuff looks nice with about a 1/8 Promist, but it depends on context and intent. Deakins argues for an absolutely pin-sharp, accurate look that's more like what he sees with his eyes... and it's hard to argue with that.
    marc wielage, csi • colorist/post consultant • daVinci Resolve Certified Trainer

I'm with Marc,

My "go too" is always / mostly Promist on the Sigma lenses. I often use Black Supermist as well.

The Bronze Glimmer Glass is magical I think

Curtis
    ---------------------------
    Curtis Boggs
    www.cboggs.com

Cinematographer-DP-Colorist
    Epic-W 8k - G&E
    Sigma Cinema prime set
    Leica-R Cine mod prime set

If you want more of a hazy, milky halation, try a Tiffen Smoque filter.
    David Mullen, ASC
    Los Angeles
    http://www.davidmullenasc.com