Thread: GEMINI Blackshade Frequency

Reply to Thread
  1. #1 GEMINI Blackshade Frequency 
    I think I'm discovering this, but is it critical to blackshade my cams at EVERY set before shooting?
    I feel that blackshading that much with my Dragons wasn't necessary, but is it with these Gemini sensors?

Any anecdotes from your experiences would be greatly appreciated!
    RED DSMC2 GEMINI #20714 "Aslan"
    RED DSMC2 GEMINI #22394 "Leo"
    Sigma High Speed Cine Primes (20mm, 24mm, 35mm, 50mm, 85mm)
    Steadicam & DJI Ronin 2
    Wireless Video/Focus
    DJI Inspire 2

www.yellobrickstudios.com

Depends on what you are shooting. If you are in standard mode at iso 800, then no, you don’t need to black shade or calibrate everytime (even though some prefer to do so rather than forget that one time)

If you are shooting at iso 6400 in Low Light mode, then yeah, maybe just to get that last percentage of improvement, you’ll want to calibrate.

In fact, since the sensor is so good on the Gemini, i actually calibrate less than i did on the MX. Most people use the Gemini as a “low light” camera, and that is why so many people talk about sensor calibration.

If you use the camera as a normal camera, then you’ll probably end up Calibrating less. And then if you need to go to iso 5000, the Gemini can, whereas other cameras might tap out at 2500.
    Ranger Gemini

Thank you James for your input!

I ask because I've ran into a couple of "snags" with footage. Definitely in the LL mode. I think I'll start calibrating more as to not avoid these "snags" anymore.

LOVE the camera, of course. Hell, I bought two! But I guess I'm just getting use to the fact that these are kind of 2 cams in one. I agree, in normal mode, it is a BEAST compared to Dragon. But need to treat it differently, especially going into LL territory.

Thank you!

Anyone else have thoughts?
    RED DSMC2 GEMINI #20714 "Aslan"
    RED DSMC2 GEMINI #22394 "Leo"
    Sigma High Speed Cine Primes (20mm, 24mm, 35mm, 50mm, 85mm)
    Steadicam & DJI Ronin 2
    Wireless Video/Focus
    DJI Inspire 2

www.yellobrickstudios.com

I have both Monstro and Gemini, shoot 100fps LL on Gemini all the time for a particular client. Looks clean as no probs. I shade maybe twice a year or a head of a big job as part of my camera checks. But as I said on another post recently, this is the best time to own a RED in terms of stability and consistency.

PS the LL and low ISO is a lot of fun. Being able to bracket where you want the information is a lovely feature
    I've got a black belt in keeping it real!

Quote Originally Posted by James Sielaff View Post
    Depends on what you are shooting. If you are in standard mode at iso 800, then no, you don’t need to black shade or calibrate everytime (even though some prefer to do so rather than forget that one time)

If you are shooting at iso 6400 in Low Light mode, then yeah, maybe just to get that last percentage of improvement, you’ll want to calibrate.

In fact, since the sensor is so good on the Gemini, i actually calibrate less than i did on the MX. Most people use the Gemini as a “low light” camera, and that is why so many people talk about sensor calibration.

If you use the camera as a normal camera, then you’ll probably end up Calibrating less. And then if you need to go to iso 5000, the Gemini can, whereas other cameras might tap out at 2500.
    Do you find yourself shooting in the 6400 iso range much? How is the footage, generally speaking, not to much noise, usable?

Quote Originally Posted by steve green View Post
    Do you find yourself shooting in the 6400 iso range much? How is the footage, generally speaking, not to much noise, usable?
    I use it. I like it. But i know it isn’t for everything.
    Ranger Gemini