Thread: budget 8K build ?

Reply to Thread
  1. #1 budget 8K build ? 
    Hello folks, and hew Helium owner am faced with hardware issue as my Mac and Macbook are completely useless for this new 8k R3D workflow. i need new computer and after 27 years on Mack i am ready to switch to the PC My software's that i use are Davinchi Resolve, Avid, Redcine-x, Photoshop and the rest of CS

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 3900X 12-core 24-Thread
    Graphics Card: evga rtx 2080ti black
    Motherboard:MSI MPG X570
    RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB
    OS Drive: Samsung 970 EVO Plus SSD 500GB
    Cache Drive: Samsung 970 EVO Plus SSD 2TB - M.2
    Storage Drive: ??? probably some sort of small (4 disc) internal raid
    corsair Hydro cooling and big power supply.

judging form the posts on the forums this machine would be OK for basic 8K work. personal projects, small commercial work and making stock footage am i on the good track? needles to say i wish to spend as little as i have to onPC but also i dont want to upgrade every 6 months or to fiddle with "the Computer" all the time. any suggestions? thanks
    Epic-W Helium 8k #6819

Just a heads-up, RED recently released an SDK with r3d acceleration via Apple’s METAL API. It’s not going to work miracles (and CUDA acceleration is probably still better), but it might put you over the line when it comes to 8k editing/playback feasibility.

Still no exact timeframe or system requirements though, so it could be months and require relatively new Apple hardware (despite METAL being supported by everything 2012 and newer.)

thanks Mike! i think i am finished with Apple. Today's Apple isnt what that company was in the past and Appels focus today is different. its time to move on!
    Epic-W Helium 8k #6819

3950x would be a better choice when you can find one.
    Our 3950x's + Radeon VII can playback every kind of current .R3D (incl. 8k, 5:1, 25 fps) at a 4k timeline at full res premium in Resolve (that is good enough for us).
    We haven't tried Metal acc. of R3D when running hackintosh on the Radeon's.